Thread: RIP Russell "Skip" Gildersleeve

RIP Russell "Skip" Gildersleeve

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/russe...ersleeve-dies/

Russell “Skip” Gildersleeve, a longtime fixture on the concert scene who lent his skills as a road crew member and sound engineer to a long list of acts that included Bob Seger, Steely Dan, and Rush, has died at the age of 57.

Gildersleeve was arguably best known for his tenure with Rush, which lasted from 1975-97 and found him serving as Geddy Lee‘s bass technician while handling a number of other jobs. At one point in the mid-’80s, Gildersleeve even sat in on a track recorded by the band’s ‘side project’ Jack Secret, contributing to the song ‘Tough Break.

*************************************** ***************************************** ************************

"The news of Russell ‘Skip’ Gildersleeve’s passing is shocking and very, very sad. He was one of our original crew members from the mid-70s and we all have many great memories of his friendship, his sense of humour and his association with us over all those years. Our hearts and thoughts go out to his family and close friends. He will be missed.”

Geddy, Alex and Neil
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

wow, I used to always see his name in the credits of the Rush albums I owned.

RIP.

I saw this mentioned a few days ago on the counterparts page on facebook. RIP.

RIP - always liked seeing that name in the credits.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

for those interested here is a link to a session with Skip and Rush

http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=1003

It's down at the bottom

Was it ever determined how he passed away? I knew him briefly back in the mid-late 90s when he was guitar tech for Buddy Guy (my band toured as BG's opening act), and I had a few email exchanges with Skip in more recent years. Although, I would have thought those emails were possibly post-2013. Obviously not. Just found out he passed, wondering what happened. Very nice guy, it's sad to find out.

Pretty sure they have his age wrong, I don't think he started working for Rush when he was 8.

Skip was one of my best friends and his passing still fucks me up. He was one of a kind and he left an impression on everyone who came into his orbit. He took generosity and redefined it. Once he found out what kind of music you were into, he loved to send you random packages with stuff he thought you might like to listen to.

He was working as Bob Seger's tech at the time of his passing.
    Last edited by FrippWire; 02-23-2024 at 09:42 PM.