Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for Guitarists – Using Multiple Amps

I stand corrected on what EJ is doing now, but I know he's done amp blending before. It's on his live recordings.

One thing I've found in blending ultra-clean and ultra-saturated tones is that the clean tones sort of "spike" a lot more and pop out of the blend. I find that they need to be low in the blend if the goal is to get a highly overdriven sound with clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    One thing I've found in blending ultra-clean and ultra-saturated tones is that the clean tones sort of "spike" a lot more and pop out of the blend. I find that they need to be low in the blend if the goal is to get a highly overdriven sound with clarity.
    I agree. Two things I'm doing to mitigate this are 1) splitting the signal after my Maxon compressor, which helps level the clean channel input, and 2) doing exactly as you say and running the clean sound at a relatively low volume to the overdriven amp. It doesn't need to be much, but just enough to regain some of that lost definition.

BTW, here is my new toy. I bought this custom Telecaster (basically a Warmoth neck and likely Warmoth body, but branded under the "Fat Cat Custom" logo) for cheap a while back. It never sounded that good to me, even though it had had Rio Grandes in it (sounded good int he store, but too dark when I got it home). So I decided to mod it as a Nashville Tele, but I'm using a Strat pickup in the neck. I put on the Bigsby with a Vibramate as well, and replaced the tuners with Klusons. All three pickups are from Mike Relainder, a custom maker in Canada. I used the 65 Strats and his Tele+ for the Tele pickup. Just got it all wired up last night. Sounds great, but it isn't set up right yet. I'll fiddle with that this weekend.

A nice compliment to my 57 Strat reissue, and sounds awesome with my dual amp setup!

Tele1.jpg

Tele2.jpg

Bill

FRANKENTELE!!!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    FRANKENTELE!!!
    You rang??

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I didn't know Pearce was behind the Lab Series, that makes a lot of sense. Surprising to me that some maker didn't pick up the idea, and maybe even Pearce to help in the design and build. Of course the same could be said of the Lab Series. Too bad.
    Bill
    Well, Dan Pearce *did* get picked up by ART, and they based a power amp around his designs. However, they didn't use any of his preamp designs, and that's where the magic was. His amps have faded into legend, mostly (except for when I play out )

I know Billy Sheehan still uses a Pearce preamp in his rig, and there's probably a few of us guitarists who do too (Montrose did for quite a while; I don't know if he ever stopped).
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.