Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Charlotte Church does the prog?

Agreed...Imogen Heap is great
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    She certainly has a strong voice and the music is interesting, but "interesting" doesn't always = "good." but... there's something compelling about it...
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Well, I had my first "serious" listen to "2" and it clicked with me; I like it! Looking forward to getting more familiar with it!
    Yeah, if you look back at this thread, I said the same thing about it "being interesting, but not sure it was my thing"... Now, having the EP's, it is definitely my thing! It's like hypnotic, and it keeps you coming back to it. Even my wife, who is a tough cookie, likes it a lot! So, that's another bonus for me having something we both enjoy.

well I did let her manager know how much you proggers were enjoying it and I got a very nice reply as well.

I never ever thought I'd own anything by Charlotte Church but I do now. Thanks for the recommendation, I can't stop playing these EPs.

Quote Originally Posted by whatwherewhywhen View Post
    I never ever thought I'd own anything by Charlotte Church but I do now. Thanks for the recommendation, I can't stop playing these EPs.
    That perfectly conveys my thoughts as well,wwww!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

OK, I thought maybe I was going a little overboard, because I can't stop playing these EPs. But, you guys are having the same problem, so that's good!

Check this one out, not on any of the EPs, yet...
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 10-24-2013 at 11:11 PM.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    If Charlotte is "pudgy" then issue me my official Chubby Chasers Club card right now...
    life-time member here (raises hand) - I likes me a plush babe - just sayin
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

she has managed to convey a totally amazing voice with a bit of "oddball" and thats a hard trick to pull off! and she isnt even chubby at all! It reminds me a lot of Kate Bush in parts.

Yeah, Charlotte gets my vote for best new discovery of 2013. So fresh and genuinely adventurous while still retaining so many of the sensibilities and elements of what drew me to progressive music in the first place. Would love to see her come tour the US.

Steve
    www.10trecords.com

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    she has managed to convey a totally amazing voice with a bit of "oddball" and thats a hard trick to pull off! and she isnt even chubby at all! It reminds me a lot of Kate Bush in parts.
    I wonder how her longtime fans have received this artsier side of her. I do like it and she does seem completely at home in that environment - so comfortable onstage as well that she kneels down onstage to play with her sequencer (or whatever she was using) to loop her voice through (in the above video).

and no, she isn't even chubby, she has hips and for some guys, that's chubby
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I wonder how her longtime fans have received this artsier side of her
    From Youtube & amazon comments, most of her pop fans are generally confused by it, though I saw some really like it, others have trashed it as saying, "it doesn't work with her voice" and "where are the melodies?". One interview Charlotte commented that older people who like her "Voice Of An Angel" material, have been seen to walk out of her recent concerts, and her pop fans seem relatively receptive. Critics seem to be giving her high praise though, and Charlotte says the music isn't aimed at any particular age group / demographic.

She may lose some fans but she will gain a helluva load more I believe.!

Abraham Lincoln certainly got it right with his "You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time" treatise. I agree with Vicky.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    She may lose some fans but she will gain a helluva load more I believe.!
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    How so?
    These fans want the angelic / preteen Church and this isn't what she is delivering these days.

I was more interested in how this new music of hers will translate to more fans overall?

"She may lose some fans but she will gain a helluva load more I believe.!"

^ As she's a multi-millionaire ( http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/i5...te-church.html ), maybe she's not too worried how many fans she brings in!

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

It's questionable she will gain a larger audience than before, especially because she has no big label backing. She dropped her label and is releasing this new music on her own. From what I've been reading, she seems more interested in doing things her own way and making music she really enjoys, rather than seeking world domination. She's also sick to death of the tabloids recording every move in life she makes, and she dropped out of the limelight for 2 years prior to these recordings.

I find it pretty inspiring, though it is also true she has the money not to worry about sales too much. She can afford to go for a wild card musically. Yet, not if she's laughed at. It's still a big risk if people will take her seriously, and can produce really inspired music, no matter how much money she has.

I do though, take her seriously. Her music is much too inventive and interesting to think she's in over her head. Every song is a labor of a lot of very detailed work. I think this is the most progressive new music out there now, IMO. It'll be interesting watching to see where she goes with it. Thanks to 'Strawberry Brick' for introducing her to me!
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 10-29-2013 at 09:42 PM.

You might find some other tracks of note in her previous releases. I've been listening to her since about 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    You might find some other tracks of note in her previous releases. I've been listening to her since about 2006.
    Yeah, I've poked around in it. Some of the stuff from "Back To Scratch" is kind of interesting. But I would be surprised if I liked anything from "Tissues & Issues", or earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    OK, I thought maybe I was going a little overboard, because I can't stop playing these EPs. But, you guys are having the same problem, so that's good!

Check this one out, not on any of the EPs, yet...
    Excellent stuff - looks like she's doing what she wants, not what her public expect of her.

This reminded me of Amy X Neuburg:

I do genuinely think she will pick up new fans! indeed she has done so on here! What she needs is the PR that actually shows this new side. I guess so far it hasnt worried her that much--it may also be that she is happier to be low key. I would love to sign her.

I don't know why she gave up a great career in comedy! LOL!! Funny stuff.

Monotheistic Supernalist ProgPariah77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I don't know why she gave up a great career in comedy! LOL!! Funny stuff.
    Funny indeed ... love how her "Christmas fairy" voice is an American accent of indeterminate region - a bit like one of us statesiders affecting a "Monty Python" faux-British accent (except that she actually does it pretty well) ...

FOUR is currently streaming in its entirety here:

https://soundcloud.com/alligator-win...s/four/s-PuzWM

Steve
    www.10trecords.com