Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Charlotte Church does the prog?

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post

This was pretty cool too.

Not sure she's really my thing, but it's interesting music. I'll explore with open ears.
    Very strange! It seems like she's been watching too many Emilie Simon videos. I really like Emilie (more electronic than prog, I think).

Monotheistic Supernalist ProgPariah77's Avatar
    Has anyone heard of release dates for "Four" and "Five"?

Quote Originally Posted by ProgPariah77 View Post
    Has anyone heard of release dates for "Four" and "Five"?
    Nope, still waiting on the arrival of my ordered copies of 1, 2 and 3.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Nope, still waiting on the arrival of my ordered copies of 1, 2 and 3.
    ... which they did today :-). This is quite a stunning body of work so far. Every EP is getting longer (1 = 12 min, 2 = 20 min, 3 = 26 minutes) and the sound gets more and more interesting from the arty indierock of the first ep to the very intricate soundscapes of THREE. I can't wait what she comes up with for the next ones.

For those that are digging the arty vibe on the three EPs (got my copies last weekend and enjoy them quite a bit), Kari Rueslatten might also be worth checking out. She was the vocalist on the first 3rd and the Mortal album, did some pop solo albums but then did a pair of very cool art-rock albums called Pilot and Other People's Stories.

While I listened to the Church EP's, I was reminded of Kari's albums in terms of scope and creativity...so they might appeal to folks here as well.

A track from Pilot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LDgvwXgc4w
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Now officially on the Church train. Ordered 1, 2 & 3 today.

I agree with 10T's Steve that you hipped a lot of people to a performer's evolution that they otherwise would have never known about, Charles. Thanks again from me as well, my friend.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Count me in on that- I had no idea she was doing such cool stuff, now I do!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    She is just all growed up now, ain't she!

Growed out too. :>)

DtB

Wow. This is AMAZING!! Reminds me of early Pink Floyd. The ending is killer.

I have to say, I'm hooked. I ordered discs 2 & 3.

Great stuff will get this. By the way in reply to the guy who mentioned pudgy looking broad. . as far as I'm aware I could say about most prog bands. Bald blokes with a gut. But I don't hear their looks being mentioned.

If Charlotte is "pudgy" then issue me my official Chubby Chasers Club card right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    Great stuff will get this. By the way in reply to the guy who mentioned pudgy looking broad. . as far as I'm aware I could say about most prog bands. Bald blokes with a gut. But I don't hear their looks being mentioned.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    Clearly you aren't reading my posts often enough then

And your point is entirely 100% valid I don't imagine too many of the "lookers" around here would turn someone with Ms. Church's looks down, save for the married types.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Never heard of her but she is definetely not a pop singer...it sounds like the mix of modern symphonic and post rock sounds....Thanks for bringing it up...

The below video is when Charlotte Church collaborated with a former member of Yes:

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Here she is delivering the 2013 John Peel lecture on the theme of women and their representation in the music industry (it starts somewhere around the 7 / 8 minute mark):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03d4d76

This is an intelligently written and strongly delivered lecture.

certainly is--I would sign her tommorrow!

Charlotte has become an extremely formidable lady, both musically and oratorically.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm now a fan, thanks to this thread. Perhaps the surprise of the year?
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    I'm now a fan, thanks to this thread. Perhaps the surprise of the year?
    Threads like this remind me of why I come here.

Wow. This is AMAZING!! Reminds me of early Pink Floyd. The ending is killer.

I have to say, I'm hooked. I ordered discs 2 & 3.
    Bloody incredible. That's it....I'm off to the website to spend some money. I thought Glitterbombed was good, but this.....wow!

I've had the 3 EP's for several days now, and here's my assessment:

Disc 1: Really good alt-rock, or adult oriented art rock, with tuneful melodies and interesting themes.

Disc 2: The best of the three, full-on art rock, strongly developed and conceptual. Interesting soundscapes, moody, great themes, and good melodies. Great from beginning to end, leaves me wanting more.

Disc 3: This is prog. Very experimental, lots of layering with thick and moody soundscapes. Parts sound like a re-working of Dark Side of The Moon. Seems a bit unfocussed, melodies were completely dropped, in favor of being unconventional? I'm sensing a lean towards Radiohead on this disc. Not really enjoying it "as much as" the other discs, but when I play all 3 EPs together mixed up at random it works really well.

Maybe someone here can help me... is it me, or does disc 3 (and a lesser extent disc 2) sound brickwalled? I'm having trouble to why the loud parts are so distorted, and her singing is buried and hard to understand, it makes it less enjoyable, but not really a big problem. I'm also thinking her live appearances on youtube sound better than CDs, because they are less distorted.
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 10-28-2013 at 09:07 AM.

I've had the 3 EP's for several days now, and here's my assessment:

Disc 1: Really good alt-rock, or adult oriented art rock, with tuneful melodies and interesting themes.

Disc 2: The best of the three, full-on art rock, strongly developed and conceptual. Interesting soundscapes, moody, great themes, and good melodies. Great from beginning to end, leaves me wanting more.

Disc 3: This is prog. Very experimental, lots of layering with thick and moody soundscapes. Parts sound like a re-working of Dark Side of The Moon. Seems a bit unfocussed, melodies were completely dropped, in favor of being unconventional? I'm sensing a lean towards Radiohead on this disc. Not really enjoying it like the other discs.

Maybe someone here can help me... is it me, or does disc 3 (and a lesser extent disc 2) sound brickwalled? I'm having trouble to why the loud parts are so distorted, and her singing is buried and hard to understand, it makes it un-enjoyable. (Reminds me of how Flying Colors sounds.) I'm not hearing a real dynamic range of sounds, and yet there is so much cool instrumentation, I would think there should be, or could be! This is really puzzling because it would go against what Charlotte is saying her goal in self publishing the music is about. Or maybe whomever she has doing the mastering is a bad choice.

I'm also thinking her live appearances on youtube sound better than CDs, because they are less distorted.
    Well, I am enjoying all three, but agree that 2 is the strongest. I also think the You Tube live performances in her studio are exceptional.

All in all, though, very strong music which is clearly very progressive in places.

Been lurking on this thread for about a week, trying to decide whether or not I dig her music. Sometimes it's hard to decide while you're sitting at your computer, getting distracted by other things. Well, I just downloaded "2" from iTunes so I can give it a couple of proper listens. She certainly has a strong voice and the music is interesting, but "interesting" doesn't always = "good." Hope that doesn't seem weird, but what can I say, there's something compelling about it, but "love at first listen" it's not, at least for me. I'll chime in after I've absorbed "2" a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Been lurking on this thread for about a week, trying to decide whether or not I dig her music. Sometimes it's hard to decide while you're sitting at your computer, getting distracted by other things. Well, I just downloaded "2" from iTunes so I can give it a couple of proper listens. She certainly has a strong voice and the music is interesting, but "interesting" doesn't always = "good." Hope that doesn't seem weird, but what can I say, there's something compelling about it, but "love at first listen" it's not, at least for me. I'll chime in after I've absorbed "2" a bit.
    Well, I had my first "serious" listen to "2" and it clicked with me; I like it! Looking forward to getting more familiar with it!

BTW, I urge you Charlotte Church fans to check out my Imogen Heap thread; Charlotte's music reminded me of her at times. Imogen's stuff is more "electronica;" she uses synths and loopers and does most everything herself, although she does have occasional guests playing instruments like real drums, cellos and electric guitars (Jeff Beck was one of them). Like Charlotte, her music is textural, moody and pretty experimental for someone operating in the "pop" realm.