Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great pieces of Modern & 20th C. music

Quote Originally Posted by cannygoodlike View Post
    Thanks for this. I just had a listen to a performance of Sun-Treader by Dohnanyi/Cleveland O on You Tube. Excellent. I am now considering ordering the CD that has been mentioned.
    Oh, cool! Glad you like it!

I just picked up Hindemith's Chamber Concertos 1-7, played by the Ensemble Modern. Looking to tuck into it tonight....

Been listening to Conlon Noncarrow lately, that stuff is dense!

^^^^
    Re: Ensemble Modern. I picked up their live recording of Henze's Requiem which was recorded around the same time. I didn't know they recorded Hindemith. I've got the Kammermusik by Abbado on EMI.

Nancarrow also wrote string quartets. I have nos. 1 & 3 on a Wergo CD.

Olivier Messiaen was the first 20th century composer my friend played for me when he was turning me on to all kinds of music unknown to me at the time(circa 1974-5).I don't recall if he first played me this composition L'Ascension for church organ or the chamber piece Quartet for the End of Time.In any event, Messiaen's organ music made a giant impression on me and I immersed myself in those compositions.L'Ascension may still be my favorite Messiaen work for organ and i'm posting a clip of it here.Enjoy.

Last edited by walt; 09-30-2013 at 07:04 PM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Messiaen is probably my favorite composer, Walt. Love it, all of it, or everything I've heard thus far. In particular, I have disc of piano duets on the New Albion label this just takes me to another place entirely.......I have a bunch of Messiaen, but that disc gets the most play of all of them.

Janacek, string quartets

Kodaly, string quartets
    I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

Shostakovich, Piano Concertos

I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

Mention of Messiaen further up inspired me to dig out Turangalila over the weekend. I've owned the CD (the Rattle/CBSO version) for many years but it had been a long time since I last heard it. I'm not sure I ever knew it that well. Perhaps I wasn't ready for it before, but this time I have been blown away.

I also watched this performance on YouTube which I think is fantastic:

Man, the Hindemith Chamber Concertos are way cool! I dunno why, but I keep thinking of Zappa...

^^^^
    Stravinsky and Bach come to mind when I listen to those Hindemith works. No. 1 with the brisk xylophone lines brings Zappa to mind. No. 7 for organ is pretty cool. Hindemith played a lot of instruments besides his main axe, the viola, and it really shows in his excellent writing.

I don't know if you've listened to the orchestral works, but there's a lot of good stuff on that cheap Decca 3 disc set.
    Last edited by Reid; 10-04-2013 at 01:23 AM.

I don't have any Hindemith cds,and reading posts here compelled me to order his Kammermusik Concertos 1-7,a 2cd issue by Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra on Decca.Should arrive tomorrow or Tuesday.Hope I like it.

That Chailly set is highly regarded, Walt. I hope you enjoy it. I know you like organ music, so no. 7 will probably hit the spot. Hindemith also wrote another fine organ concerto that I like very much. It's paired with 3 organ sonatas on an Apex re-issue. His sonata for clarinet and piano is also a great piece. I recently ordered the Naxos CD of his chamber clarinet pieces. These YouTube clips aren't the same recordings, but this version of the organ concerto is considered definitive.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Bookmarked for later
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Ralph Shapey - String Quartet #9
    Dane Rudhyar - Granites
    John Luther Adams - In the White Silence
    Schoenberg - Chamber Symphony #9
    Leo Ornstein - Wild Men's Dance
    George Crumb - Black Angels
    Carl Ruggles - Suntreader
    Ives - Central Park In the Dark
    Cage - Variations IV
    Morton Feldman - Rothko Chapel
    Giacinto Scelsi - Four Pieces On One Note
    Michael Gordon - Four Kings Fight Five

etc....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Anybody heard this?

Bumping this thread....and no, I hadn't heard Ive's Universe Symphony before....that was pretty cool. Very quiet at first, eh? Will check out some other recordings, if I can find them.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Thanks for bumping, wife's away so I should get time to explore
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Lately I've been listening to Russian composer Sofia Gubaidulina, and Moroccan composer Maurice Ohana.

Here is Gubaidulina's symphony in 12 movements. This is from the Chandos CD I have.

This piece by Ohana is the closest thing to a full scale symphonic work. He wrote some
    interesting music for percussion/winds heavy chamber orchestras, 10 string guitar,
    harpischord, and two fine cello concertos. There are a number of excellent CDs on
    the Timpani label. He also wrote a very interesting choral work entitled Avoaha.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Bumping this thread....and no, I hadn't heard Ive's Universe Symphony before....that was pretty cool. Very quiet at first, eh? Will check out some other recordings, if I can find them.
    Here's a link to a site about another recording of the Ives symphony. I bought the CD, which sounds different than the recording I heard on YouTube. But this is supposed to be the definitive recording. http://www.stereosociety.com/ivesCDUniverse.shtml

Daniel Wohl-Corps Exquis.I spin this cd with some regularity.It holds up well for me.Wohl uses electronics in an understated,subtle way,and has a knack for forging sonically interesting textures for percussion,strings etc in a small ensemble setup.Here's a track from Corps Exquis.

May have been mentioned before but (all are compostions, not albums)
    Arvo Part: Tabula Rasa, Für Alina and Spiegel Im Spiegel
    Gavin Bryars, Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet (saw last summer!), Allegrasco, The North Shore, Oi Mi Lasso
    Harry Partch, The Delusion of the Fury (Ditto)
    Steve Reich: Music for 18 Musicians, Electric Counterpoint, You Are (Variations),
    Terry Riley, In C, A Rainbow in Curved Air, Cadenza on the Night Plain, Requiem for Adam
    Phillip Glass, Koyanisqaatsi Soundtrack (full), Music for Dracula (performed by Kronos Quartet), Music in 12 Parts
    Kevin Volans, Hunting, Gathering
    George Crumb, Black Angels
    György Ligeti, Atmospheres, Lux Aeterna, 10 Pieces for Wind Quintet
    Béla Bartók, Third Steing Quartet (though they're all good)
    Benjamin Britten, Lachrymae, opus 48a
    Erik Satie, Trois Gymnopédie, Trois Gnoissienes (I believe they were written after the turn of the 20th century but could be wrong...if so, it's close)
    Erkki-Sven Tüür, Chrystallisatio, Lighthouse, Oxymoron
    Alfred Schnittke, Song Where Every Verse is Filled With Grief

There's more (ain't it always the way!), but these are some of my favorites...

A recent modern 21st Century work I thoroughly enjoy is Korngold's Much Ado About Nothing.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Love this whole suite by Steve Reich, but this is the best part:

"Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy