Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Official Survivor Thread.

The Official Survivor Thread.

I'm surprised Gruno didn't beat me to this.

I really don't have high hopes for this Blood Vs. Water thing they've got going this season. I'm happy to see Tina Wesson returning. I liked her. And although I have no use for mean people like Colton in my life, I'm curious to see what kind of man would put up with him. I hope Rupert is first out. I can't stand that guy. This is his 4th time playing...enough already.

It'll be interesting to see how past Big Brother winner Haydon Moss fares on Survivor...to bad he's attached to Kat Edorsson. Hopefully, she's done some growing up since her last Survivor stint.

I would still love to see a season with 100% new people. I don't know why CBS feels the need to rehash the old players over and over and over again.

Nice thread!!

I don't mind Rupert, but I also agree that it is enough with returning players.

TVGN had their usual Survivor cast special that aired today. I dvrd it so I will watch it tomorrow afternoon.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Yeah, not sold on the "twist" myself...but I guess I'll see how it plays out.

And at least these returnees aren't pitched as favorites.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post

I would still love to see a season with 100% new people. I don't know why CBS feels the need to rehash the old players over and over and over again.
    Agreed, 100% new people is the way to go.

CBS feels the need to rehash because this way they can hedge their bets, the new twist is a bit risky, but the old players help retain viewers.

As for the "twist", kind of cool to have family members face off, but it is really a hedge for the players too. They prefer to win for bragging rights of course, but if your spouse wins a million dollars is that really a loss for you?
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Regards,

Duncan

So how does this work? Is one team the returning players and the other team family? How is this different than Fans vs. Favourites? We have a team of Fans and a team of Returning Players. If they are on opposing teams, they can't even help each other. I really hope that there is more to it than that. I am looking forward to tonight, to see how/if the format has changed.

One thing is for sure...it can't be any worse than this season of Big Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    TVGN had their usual Survivor cast special that aired today. I dvrd it so I will watch it tomorrow afternoon.
    That channel isn't available by my cable provider (possibly not available in Canada at all) so let me know if you learn anything interesting.

I have mixed feelings on this format to. I guess we'll see....

Steve Sly

In! Or out.... depending on the thread vote I guess.

My wife and I have watched every episode of every season and tonight's season premiere will be the first we've missed live together as I have a conflict.

I'll watch on DVR the moment I get home.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Pretty good first episode, although there are a few of the former players who I have no memory of at all. The short haired guy who is a former winner I don't remember at all and I have watched every season.

Steve Sly

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Well...there were a few interesting twists from the BVW thing that I didn't expect so hopefully this season will surprise.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Yes, a good start.

Rupert is already screwed with the returning players, but he may be saved by the fact that if he does get off Redemption island, he will go to the other tribe. (I think that's what Jeff said?)

Already some interesting twists, like Gervase's silly theatrics after his team won Immunity (no thanks to him BTW) sent his niece to RI. Gawd that was dumb...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    In! Or out.... depending on the thread vote I guess.

My wife and I have watched every episode of every season and tonight's season premiere will be the first we've missed live together as I have a conflict.

I'll watch on DVR the moment I get home.
    And she won't wait for you, so that you can watch it together?

I also didn't hate last night's episode as much as I thought I would. As I was watching, it did raise some interesting strategic twists. For example, your Blood is on redemption island. Who do you vote out? The strong person that you want to get rid of but who will probably win the RI challenge, or the weaker player in your alliance who will probably lose on RI, allowing your Blood to stay in the game?

The whole voting someone out and offering Blood to change places with that person was interesting. I expected Rupert to take his wife's place. She wants her chance to play the game and he was willing to give her that experience. I think that any returning player would do the same for their loved one.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly
    The short haired guy who is a former winner I don't remember at all and I have watched every season.
    Same here. I even googled him to see if he looked different then. He did, a little, but it still didn't ring any bells.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Can we delete this thread and continue in a Survivor thread that I start???!!! Hmph!

I liked the first episode a lot. At first I thought the first two voted off players would end up switching sides, but the Redemption Island thing actually gives them a chance to get back in the game. If Rupert's wife went right to the former players' tribe, her and Rupe would be targets right off the bat, same for Candace and her husband. At least one of them has a chance to get back in the game...

However, I wonder if Survivor got too smart for itself. Did it really want a character like Rupert to be sent directly to Redemption Island? I would have rather seen him in challenges where he'd worry if his wife would be voted off.

Still hate Colton and really like Aras' former convict-drug addict brother. The latter seems to have really gotten his life back in order.

Culpepper is already getting on my nerves. They make it sound like he was this great NFL player. He was a mediocre player at best. He's certainly no Jeff Kent.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Old player have already formed a bond somewhat with the TV audience or a hatred (Colton showing spots from the reveal of next week's eps.).

Dalton's review today mentioned the near certainty of the former players forming alliances before they even get to the island. A peek behind the curtain I'm not sure I want to see.

^I actually wondered about that. I know that many of them become friends, even from different seasons. Once you're on the show, I think you become part of the Survivor "family". Some of the loved ones probably already know each other too.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Dalton's review today mentioned the near certainty of the former players forming alliances before they even get to the island. A peek behind the curtain I'm not sure I want to see.
    Could you post a link to the article?

Thanks,

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Could you post a link to the article?

Thanks,

Steve Sly
    Sure, here it is. 'Survivor' season premiere recap: Twistapalooza

Dalton as usual, makes the show just so much more enjoyable to me. F-ing hilarious!

BTW, forming alliances pre-show is so foul. Less so in this case, since they all seem to know each other anyways, but for "fans" vs "favorites" that is robbery, assault and battery. The Faves already have the advantage of "been there" already, so they have to cheat too?

Just another reason to hate the whole returning players thing.

I hope Rupert is first out.
    BOOYAH!

Yeah that was nice seeing his lazy ass booted. Seems to think he is entitled to play again. Smug ass is probably right.

I am really enjoying all these new "layers" revealed as Jeff put it. Making the other tribe weaker by voting their loved one out. Deviously twisted moves await.

MINOR SPOILER -

The twists of option to switch with a loved one at RI is a interesting angle. When I heard that my first thought was for them to vote John so that both he and his loved one, Candace, would be at RI with no one to switch with. I like the strategy they are employing of weakening the other tribe through their votes.

The moment I saw the RI challenge I knew Rupert was out and fairly certain Candace would win. Rupert is too brutish for patient skill and balance challenges.

Still can't stand Colton and don't want him on this show much longer.

What was up with Jeff's hair at Tribal??
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!