Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FEATURED CD: ELP - Trilogy

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I'm sure if they'd had today's sampling technology and better monitoring (or a second keyboard player! ) it wouldn't have been as much of a problem, but I think they must have realized that they'd finally created something they just couldn't comfortably or confidently pull off on stage. I wonder how much that had an effect on the BSS album, "Karn Evil 9", in particular.
    Well, something tells me that "today's sampling technology" wouldn't produce anything any better. The recorded backing tracks sound decent enough, the problem I hear is mainly just in them trying to play along with the tapes. A second keyboard player would probably be necessary to truly pull something like this off. Not that you couldn't do it with samples, but I don't hear that as the problem they were faced with.

Overall, I find it to be a valiant effort. How many headlining acts today would even take chances like this?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Overall, I find it to be a valiant effort. How many headlining acts today would even take chances like this?
    The thing I find amazing is just how they manage to kick the tape in so accurately in the first place...was it literally someone (Eddie??) sat with their finger poised over the play button on a reel to reel tape?? Seriously risky if so. Would love to hear another version from a different gig assuming it was ever recorded again...

And I like all of the quotes in Hoedown Including Oliver Nelson's Hoedown too.

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    This makes me cringe too.
    You two are wacky!