Thread: CHICAGO still active!

CHICAGO still active!

Didn't realise they were still a functioning band. Have no idea who is in the band either?

Anyway it appears they are & have a new single out !

CHICAGO RELEASE A NEW eSINGLE:
    Chicago's newest single, America is now available to Chicago Premium Access subscribers at a member discount in the “Add-Ons” section. The download includes a choice of high-quality formats, artwork, lyrics, and extensive liner notes about the recording process and more from Lee Loughnane: “I know there are many people, from all political perspectives, that feel the way I do about the future of America. Perhaps in some way, the message found in this song will remind people to think about how much more we can all do, especially in what we demand from OUR government. America can and should be an even better place. We have a wonderful history of rising to seemingly insurmountable challenges. For the sake of our children and grandchildren, we must do the hard work to minimize such profound divisions within the fabric of our country. We must find new ways to work together to preserve this remarkable pursuit of happiness. To preserve a life of freedom for generations to come, we can't fail. I hope in some way the music found here conveys this universal feeling in a way words simply can't. I do know Chicago is proud to add its voice. We hope you all enjoy listening to “America” as much as we enjoyed recording it!”
    Last edited by Rufus; 09-16-2013 at 09:24 AM.

Sure, Chicago is going strong, as is Danny Seraphine's California Transit Authority which I gather is a bit more true to the proggy/jazzy roots of Chicago. AFAIK Chicago still includes all three original horn players and Robert Lamm.

We saw them this summer at Wolftrap and were impressed with their energy and sound.
    It was a lot better than the 2011 show at Wolftrap where we pretty much agreed that we had just seen a Chicago cover band.
    Not a big fan, they were 'free' tickets both times.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Always a Chicago Fan!!!

Especially anything sung by Robert Lamm.

Chicago has released a couple of "singles" on Itunes this year including this new song "America". Each of the songs seems to have been sung or written by Lamm. My only disappointment is that I am old school. I like brick N' mortar things. I want a CD. I want Liner Notes (good liner notes).

Yes Chicago is still out there. I still think they do a fantastic live show.

Several years ago, I encountered Magellan's "Test of Wills" and heard a couple of songs that I immediately thought, "this is what Chicago should be doing". Now, 10 or 12 years later, I find Trent Gardner working with Robert Lamm and it seems to make sense. I want them to continue and stretch the limits.

I always considered Chicago one of the USA's first and best Prog bands. They got away from prog (wow - a slight understatement there) and now seem to be falling back in line. I couldn't be happier.

I'm not sure they always play with the original guys, though - other than Robert Lamm. Wikipedia lists a lot of touring members, including a whole horn section. So either they play with a 7-piece Big Band horn section live - which would be great, but not really the Chicago sound - or Loughnane, Pankow, and Parazaider don't make all the gigs and have subs available for the ones they skip.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangershockey7 View Post

Several years ago, I encountered Magellan's "Test of Wills" and heard a couple of songs that I immediately thought, "this is what Chicago should be doing". Now, 10 or 12 years later, I find Trent Gardner working with Robert Lamm and it seems to make sense. I want them to continue and stretch the limits.
    Just listened to the title track from that. There's a weird bit of cognitive dissonance in the last third, wherein DT-ish prog-metal suddenly gets invaded by Chicago's horn section - in fact, even more Chicago than Chicago, because it's all trombones. Interesting, but a bit much on the cheese factor for me.

I always hated horns (in Rock music) and always hated Chicago, the only song I ever sorta could listen to was 25 or 6 to 4...

sorry to be negative..

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    So either they play with a 7-piece Big Band horn section live - which would be great, but not really the Chicago sound - or Loughnane, Pankow, and Parazaider don't make all the gigs and have subs available for the ones they skip.
    It's the latter. They're getting up there in age, and life has a way of intervening occasionally.

To me, the first seven Chicago albums are the truest original "American prog." Everything up through Chicago XI at least had quality material--both radio pop and more interesting stuff mixed in. Their spirit died with Terry Kath, though, as far as I'm concerned.

I did see all 3 when they played in (go figure) Chicago.

I was never a fan of anything but the first 2 albums, and imo they never bettered their debut.

That said, they f*****g blew my shorts off!

All I had to do was occupy myself during the cheesy crap. Lamm can still sing, and the youngster doing the Cetera/Kath vox was far better than I expected.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I was never a fan of anything but the first 2 albums, and imo they never bettered their debut.
    You don't like Chicago III? I think of that as very much of a piece with the first two. I actually prefer it to II, since it seems more adventurous and in the spirit of CTA.

Chicago VII is my personal favorite, since the jazz influences came through in a big way--for the last time, unfortunately. Plus, their songcraft had grown substantially by then.

“if you leave me now” is sort of a guilty pleasure of mine. it’s just an exceedingly beautiful and aching ballad with sublime playing and singing – and, ah, those mournful horn parts are just so dead on. masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    “if you leave me now” is sort of a guilty pleasure of mine. it’s just an exceedingly beautiful and aching ballad with sublime playing and singing – and, ah, those mournful horn parts are just so dead on. masterpiece.
    Absolutely, would put 'Hard to say i"m sorry' on the same apex as well !

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    I agree. I hadn't heard the song for many years when I finally got a copy of Chicago X a few years ago, and I was honestly surprised at how much I liked the song. It has a very strong Beatles influence that I never noticed when I was younger. An altogether stronger and more interesting piece of songcraft than the pop cheese that Chicago did in the '80s.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    the youngster doing the Cetera/Kath vox was far better than I expected.
    I haven't seen them in years, but I think Jason Scheff is one of the better "replacement singers" in rock. Very talented guy, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I haven't seen them in years, but I think Jason Scheff is one of the better "replacement singers" in rock. Very talented guy, IMO.
    I've seen Chicago five times over the last few years, and while I will agree with you that Scheff is a great replacement singer, there have been times where I thought he mailed in his performance. And those times were when Chicago was doing a combo tour with another big '70s act like Earth Wind and Fire or the Doobie Brothers. When I've seen Chicago on its own, Scheff has seemed to be on his game.

And in all the times I've seen them, I think Walt has performed with them maybe twice.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

As I understand it, Trent Gardner also did some stuff on this latest single. He worked together with Lamm on his last solo album, on a couple songs, then some Chicago members guested on a couple Magellan singles.
    Chicago making singles, Magellan making singles...well, almost a similar philosophy for now. But I would rather prefer a band making an album than releasing singles for several years. Of course, it's better than nothing, but still..