Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Albums you love by bands you hate!

Balance by Van Halen !

So who's gonna start the "Albums you're lukewarm about, by bands that you couldn't care less about" thread?

In modern times, it would have to be The Black Parade by My Chemical Romance. I absolutely love that album but can't stand anything else by the band. However, as I discovered, it was a drastically different album than their past or present catalog. Yes, it has some punk elements that they are known for ... but the progressive side of the album has some of the most talented songwriting (and a breath of fresh air) in the sometimes stagnate progressive clones of today. They managed to pull off a homage to earlier bands like Queen without sounding staged or direct rip-offs. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    So who's gonna start the "Albums you're lukewarm about, by bands that you couldn't care less about" thread?
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...554#post156554

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Terrapin Station by The Grateful Dead! The only album of theirs I really enjoy the greater part of.
    I agree! I used to room with a guy, many years ago, that was the ultimate "dead head" and the only thing I could listen to was this album.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post

2 albums for me, 'Awake' and 'When Dream and Day Unite' by Dream Theater.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I'm not a big Dire Straits fan and I really don't like Brothers In Arms! I do, however really like the Making Movies album, so that would be my pick from them. Oddly too because it sounds so much like Springsteen and I really do hate Springsteen.
    Didn't Roy Bittan, Bruce's long time pianist, play on Making Movies? I seem to recall reading he was the keyboardist on that album. That probably has something to do with the Springsteen-like sound on that record.

But I also recall reading where Knopfler admitted his songwriting was heavily influenced by Springsteen during that period as well.

Well, to be clear, I'm not STILL into "Slippery When Wet." If nothing else, I find JBJ's voice really, really annoying, and the songs simple and stupid beyond measure. But at the time the talk box in "Livin' on a Prayer" sounded so cool...

I do agree, though, if I like an album from a band, I can't hate the band anymore. They go on the "mediocre" list. I like Nirvana's "Nevermind" (yes, I know I'm alone on that on a prog forum) but can't really deal with Nirvana per se. Caviar's self-titled album, Local H's "Pack Up The Cats" and Fountains of Wayne's "Welcome Interstate Managers" are albums I listen to frequently even though the bands themselves are on my "meh" list. (I have a flaw for creatively produced candy guitar pop. Sue me.)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    But at the time the talk box in "Livin' on a Prayer" sounded so cool...
    Well, it was cool that he brought back a sound you didn't hear in rock music much anymore at the time (there was talk box all over the music of Roger Troutman and Zap). I still say nothing tops the Frampton Comes Alive version of Do You Feel Like We Do, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    2 albums for me, 'Awake' and 'When Dream and Day Unite' by Dream Theater.
    We have a winner!

However, for me "When Dream & Day Unite" is the only one I like enough to listen to occasionally. I really can't stand the rest of their stuff or LaBrie's voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    I agree! I used to room with a guy, many years ago, that was the ultimate "dead head" and the only thing I could listen to was this album.
    naah...Terrapin Station is rather weak, one song and that is all...GD has much better prog related albums like "Anthem of the Sun" or "Aoxomoxoa"

btw I do not hate things I just do not care for them...

for me the best example would be Scorpions with their album "Lonesome Crow". After that meh...

Motley Crue - Too Fast For Love.

Their debut album. Loved it when it came out, and I still really like it to this day. Great hard rock with a touch of glam, but decently heavy with some catchy tunes. The second album is OK, but then after that - total shite.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    Motley Crue - Too Fast For Love.

Their debut album. Loved it when it came out, and I still really like it to this day. Great hard rock with a touch of glam, but decently heavy with some catchy tunes. The second album is OK, but then after that - total shite.
    Agree with that, they all should have just retired after that album.

For me it would be Def Leppard-Pyromania. I know the first two are decent but I wore out Pyromania during the summer of 1983. Couldn't stand anything they did after that.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

The Grateful Dead (boo, yawn) 'From the Mars Hotel' comes to mind first. really liked that album.
    This is sure to gain me a lot of friends, but nothing else I've heard from Radiohead even comes close to my enjoyment of 'Creep".
    Also, I may need to revisit the Death in Vegas discography, but last time I did, I loved 'The Contino Sessions' and couldn't stand their other releases.
    Last edited by davis; 09-16-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, it was cool that he brought back a sound you didn't hear in rock music much anymore at the time (there was talk box all over the music of Roger Troutman and Zap). I still say nothing tops the Frampton Comes Alive version of Do You Feel Like We Do, though.
    Floyd's "Keep Talking" is where I go for talk box action these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Madonna, Ray of Light
    That is the only studio album of her's I can stomach from start to finish, but I still lose interest eventually.

What *is* great, for me, is Immaculate Collection. Take all her 1980s singles put em in one place and the whole is waaay more than the sum of the parts. Not for frequent listening mind you, but for 3-4 spins a year it knocks my socks off.

I've never been a big Beach Boys fan (I certainly don't hate them), but I never had any need for their records until I heard Pet Sounds (in 1997!). However, the one album that is an absolute killer for me is Surf's Up! Man, is that great.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

The closest I have to this is Opeth's "Damnation" album. I don't hate them, I just can't get past the death growling. "Damnation" on the other hand is a thing of beauty, morbidly depressing beauty, but I love the album.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    The closest I have to this is Opeth's "Damnation" album. I don't hate them, I just can't get past the death growling. "Damnation" on the other hand is a thing of beauty, morbidly depressing beauty, but I love the album.
    +1

This thread made me listen to Terrapin Station and, boy, was is such a great suite!
    But other than that... meh...
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

U2 does nothing for me, but I do like the song "Mysterious Ways". Other than that one song, I'll pass.

The Talking Heads cover of Al Green's Take Me To The River is the only song I like of theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Floyd's "Keep Talking" is where I go for talk box action these days.
    The only thing about Keep Talking is sounded much better onstage. And I mean literally, on the night, at Municipal Stadium, that solo sounded like King Kong throwing up. It doesn't come across on any recording I've heard of the song, not on the studio version, not on Pulse, and not on any of the bootlegs either.

American Idiot by Green Day.

It is more or less tolerable by a band that pretty much sucks.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell