Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Albums you hate by bands you love

Yes' Open Your Eyes is pretty awful.

I was never a fan of Marillion's Fugazi, though I love "Assassing."

I think I've only ever heard Caress of Steel maybe three times, so I'm not sure if I "hate" it, but I'm not drawn to it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Hate is a strong word. There are albums by bands that I simply 'like less' than others, but I can't point to a single album that I hate. Music either works for me or it doesn't. Hate isn't an emotion that factors into music (my favorite thing).

Albums that I 'like less' include:

Three Friends and Power and the Glory - Gentle Giant
    Still Life - VdGG
    Sheik Yerbouti, You Are What You Is, Filmore East - 1971, and Just Another Band from LA - Frank Zappa
    Kohntarkosz - Magma (Though the live version on Hhai saves it)
    Starless and Bible Black - King Crimson
    Hold Your Fire, Roll the Bones, Vapor Trails, and Test for Echo - Rush

*ducks*

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Hate is a strong word. There are albums by bands that I simply 'like less' than others, but I can't point to a single album that I hate. Music either works for me or it doesn't. Hate isn't an emotion that factors into music (my favorite thing).

Albums that I 'like less' include:

Three Friends and Power and the Glory - Gentle Giant
    You've heard Giant for a Day, right?

Love is a strong word, too. That's why there's only a handful of bands/artists that I love. I really, really like GG, and Acquiring the Taste is one of my all time favorite albums. But any band that put out dreck like Giant for a Day does not get my love.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

The thing about the lesser Yes and Genesis albums is, generally, each of them have at least a song or two that are worth having. And they tend to be the kind of songs that don't make it onto the best of releases, so you're kinda stuck owning Union so you can listen to I Would Have Waited Forever or Lift Me Up. I was gonna mention the eponymous Genesis album, but the Home By The Sea suite made it onto the live album they did in the early 90's, didn't it? So you don't actually have to own Illegal Alien and Just A Job To Do so you can listen the big track, do ya?

I love Yes.
    The only Yes album I cannot listen to is "The Ladder"

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The thing about the lesser Yes and Genesis albums is, generally, each of them have at least a song or two that are worth having. And they tend to be the kind of songs that don't make it onto the best of releases, so you're kinda stuck owning Union so you can listen to I Would Have Waited Forever or Lift Me Up. I was gonna mention the eponymous Genesis album, but the Home By The Sea suite made it onto the live album they did in the early 90's, didn't it? So you don't actually have to own Illegal Alien and Just A Job To Do so you can listen the big track, do ya?
    Don't get me wrong. There are albums that I generally consider to be bad by bands that I like that have good tracks. But if I'm going to love a band, I really need to know its whole output (so I'm a completist) and like it all. Quite a few tracks on Genesis' s/t that I like--hell, I love "That's All." In fact, I think it's a good album. But there's enough bad later in the discog (and, to be honest, earlier) to keep me from loving Genesis. I still like them quite a bit and eagerly pre-ordered Hackett's new DVD.

But I can't ignore the moments from the band that I personally find to be awful.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    the many unofficial releases of crap picked out of Hawkwind's trash cans. Most of it is the same series of piss poor live recordings and flushable demos. Even Hawkwind says these are just garbage.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    the many unofficial releases of crap picked out of Hawkwind's trash cans. Most of it is the same series of piss poor live recordings and flushable demos. Even Hawkwind says these are just garbage.
    I can't believe I didn't think of that. Seven words should have come to my mind immediately: Bring Me The Head Of Yuri Gagarin

Atoll-Tertio
    Pulsar-Halloween
    Grobschnitt-Rockpommel's Land
    VdGG-Still Life
    Jethro Tull-A Passion Play
    Gentle Giant-Interview
    ELP-Tarkus
    Arthur Brown-Dance
    Last edited by Calabasas_Trafalgar; 09-15-2013 at 03:10 AM.

I'd go with "disappointed with" rather than "hate":

Hammill ~ Nadir's Big Chance
    VdGG ~ World Record
    Soft Machine ~ Bundles
    Jeff Beck ~ s/t (the "oranges" cover) and BB&A
    Caravan ~ Cunning Stunts
    It's A Beautiful Day ~ Marrying Maiden
    Traffic ~ Low Spark....
    BS&T ~ s/t
    Audience ~ Lunch

and....

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    Pulsar-Halloween
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I can't believe I didn't think of that. Seven words should have come to my mind immediately: Bring Me The Head Of Yuri Gagarin
    GREAT title though

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    I kind of hate threads like this. Why would I want to talk about things I hate when talking about my favorite artists? I choose not to listen to those albums I find substandard, or just play the songs I happen to like and skip the ones I don't
    it's ok to have a hate thread now and again. we are a passionate lot and hating something also frames the stuff that one likes. since this thread is not exclusive – we are, after all, taking about stuff that we hate within a catalogue that we otherwise like – i don't mind this the slightest. it shows that we care enough about what we choose to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    Atoll-Tertio
    Pulsar-Halloween

Gentle Giant-Interview

A few good choices (in bold)

Though I'd say that Jim's choices that I italized are not the band's worst (Too Young To or Giant for A Day

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post

VdGG ~ World Record

Soft Machine ~ Bundles
    Traffic - Low Spark
    Caravan ~ Cunning Stunts
    Audience ~ Lunch

totally agree about lunch... but Low Spark, Bundles and orange (almost the twin of Rough and Ready)

BBA is a big disappointment, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Can't believe no one has mentioned Zappa's Thingfish yet. Easy to hate it. There are several other Zappa releases that go pretty low on my list, but nothing compared to Thingfish, yet I love about 80% of his releases and like about 15% more of them.

I can't say I hate some of the Genesis or Yes releases because every one of them has something salvageable (except for maybe Yes Open Your Eyes). For King Crimson, I'm not a fan of Starless and Bible Black but as mentioned somewhere in this thread, it has Fracture so I can't hate it.

Iron Maiden. I strongly dislike the following albums:
    Virtual XI,
    Dance Of Death.
    The Final Frontier.
    And then there are the albums i don't strongly dislike, but just dislike:
    No Prayer For The Dying.
    X Factor.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Wow---two votes for VDGG "Still Life" and I would consider it in my top 3 recordings of all time.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post

VdGG ~ World Record
    Soft Machine ~ Bundles
    Caravan ~ Cunning Stunts
    It's A Beautiful Day ~ Marrying Maiden
    Traffic ~ Low Spark....
    BS&T ~ s/t
    Audience ~ Lunch

and....
    with the Hawkwind ones I mentioned, it is "hate", simply because it muddies what is an official release and what isn't, especially to newly turned on fans. Unlike most bands, Hawkwind has a huge catalog of official releases and adds to it periodically through releasing material from its archives. A lot of the previously unreleased live material is not exactly top notch and when a bunch of these unofficial, third string label releases pop up, it confuses the issue. If you don't know about this and what to look for, you feel like you wasted a bunch of money. I think every Hawkwind collector has a handful of these stupid things. And the problem is, there was once an official anthology that all of this stems from that was released through I think Flicknife or Bronze (Flickknife and Bronze seem to have been the sources on all of this) and is often material Brock let slip from his ownership.
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 09-15-2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling bee champ
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I think the reason I "love" a band or artist is because they don't release albums I dislike. So KC and VdGG/PH and Zappa--I love them. I like Yes, Genesis and ELP because there are albums in their discogs that I'm not going to touch.
    Wow ! just goes to show Love is blind . KC,VDGG & Zappa have some albums that i detest way above most other artists !

On a seperate issue , what would define a 'fan boy ", is it someone who would be in total denial that their favourite band has never released dodgy music ? I used to post on Progarchives but it appeared it was dominated by Genesis `fan boys ` who were adament that every album post Hackett was a masterpiece to the point of being delusional ¡

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Wow ! just goes to show Love is blind . KC,VDGG & Zappa have some albums that i detest way above most other artists !

On a seperate issue , what would define a 'fan boy ", is it someone who would be in total denial that their favourite band has never released dodgy music ? I used to post on Progarchives but it appeared it was dominated by Genesis `fan boys ` who were adament that every album post Hackett was a masterpiece to the point of being delusional ¡
    You're assuming I haven't analyzed the catalogues, that I haven't critically considered them. They're my favorite bands because I don't believe there's a dud in there. I didn't buy one album, say this is my favorite band and blindly lap up the discog. Suggesting that's what I said or did is, frankly, insulting.

Genesis - Anything from Invisible Touch on - except for 2 or 3 cuts.
    Marillion - Brave and Somewhere Else - I am sorry to all Marillion fans, I just can't get into Brave. Really, I have tried. Just can't do it
    Dream Theater - Train of Thought - Did they even have a keyboard on that album?
    Spock's Beard - Feel Euphoria - Ugh Ugh Ugh.
    Saga - Behaviour and Pleasure and the Pain
    Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    You've heard Giant for a Day, right?
    No, I haven't. I decided to save my money on GG after Interview!

Quote Originally Posted by arj View Post
    I love Yes.
    Absolutely! I could never get into that record.

didn't we just have a Final Cut thread???
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Metallica's St. Anger and Lulu are two perfect examples for me. I love all their other stuff though, including the Loads.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by arj View Post
    I love Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    Absolutely! I could never get into that record.
    I love The Ladder. I don't understand how anyone could think it's worse than Open Your Eyes, which, aside from the title track, is a total turd..
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Blue Oyster Cult- Imaginos, except the remake of Astronomy. Bad songwriting throughout. I love the rest of their catalog.