Thread: New Beatles Live At The BBC album.

New Beatles Live At The BBC album.

Watch the trailer here. http://www.thebeatles.com/news/watch...live-bbc-vol-2

And a (much needed) remaster of the first BBC album was also announced. Now i have all this stuff on bootleg but ofcourse i will be getting this since i'm a huge Beatles fan.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Sounds cool. I'm curious to see what's on this one. The first one missed some historic recordings because they didn't have the master tapes. I noticed that "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout You" on that trailer was recorded off the air. So, I'm encouraged that they might include what should have been on the first.

And, boy that first released was waaaay over-produced.

I, too, have the boots, including the 9-disc Great Dane set that forced their hand on this one.

Truly great stuff and proof that they were, first and foremost, rocking musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Sounds cool. I'm curious to see what's on this one.
    The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

CD ONE
    1. And Here We Are Again (Speech)
    2. WORDS OF LOVE
    3. How About It, Gorgeous? (Speech)
    4. DO YOU WANT TO KNOW A SECRET
    5. LUCILLE
    6. Hey, Paul… (Speech)
    7. ANNA (GO TO HIM)
    8. Hello! (Speech)
    9. PLEASE PLEASE ME
    10. MISERY
    11. I’M TALKING ABOUT YOU
    12. A Real Treat (Speech)
    13. BOYS
    14. Absolutely Fab (Speech)
    15. CHAINS
    16. ASK ME WHY
    17. TILL THERE WAS YOU
    18. LEND ME YOUR COMB
    19. Lower 5E (Speech)
    20. THE HIPPY HIPPY SHAKE
    21. ROLL OVER BEETHOVEN
    22. THERE’S A PLACE
    23. Bumper Bundle (Speech)
    24. P.S. I LOVE YOU
    25. PLEASE MISTER POSTMAN
    26. BEAUTIFUL DREAMER
    27. DEVIL IN HER HEART
    28. The 49 Weeks (Speech)
    29. SURE TO FALL (IN LOVE WITH YOU)
    30. Never Mind, Eh? (Speech)
    31. TWIST AND SHOUT
    32. Bye, Bye (speech)
    33. John - Pop Profile (Speech)
    34. George - Pop Profile (Speech)

CD TWO
    1. I SAW HER STANDING THERE
    2. GLAD ALL OVER
    3. Lift Lid Again (Speech)
    4. I’LL GET YOU
    5. SHE LOVES YOU
    6. MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE
    7. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR SATURDAY CLUB
    8. Now Hush, Hush (Speech)
    9. FROM ME TO YOU
    10. MONEY (THAT’S WHAT I WANT)
    11. I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND
    12. Brian Bathtubes (Speech)
    13. THIS BOY
    14. If I Wasn’t In America (Speech)
    15. I GOT A WOMAN
    16. LONG TALL SALLY
    17. IF I FELL
    18. A Hard Job Writing Them (Speech)
    19. AND I LOVE HER
    20. Oh, Can’t We? Yes We Can (Speech)
    21. YOU CAN’T DO THAT
    22. HONEY DON’T
    23. I’LL FOLLOW THE SUN
    24. Green With Black Shutters (Speech)
    25. KANSAS CITY/HEY-HEY-HEY-HEY!
    26. That’s What We’re Here For (Speech)
    27. I FEEL FINE (STUDIO OUTTAKE)
    28. Paul - Pop Profile (Speech)
    29. Ringo - Pop Profile (Speech)
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Excellent news!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

It's an auto-buy for me. Loved the first BBC album.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Banned
    Since the first volume is being reissue, maybe I should get both volumes. I have(and love) BBC sessions from Queen, The Who, Led Zepplin, and The Yardbirds.

Just in time for Xmas -- moo ah ah ah ahhh!!!

The first one has yet to appear at my house. It's one I thought of on occasion, but never got around to getting.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    The first one has yet to appear at my house. It's one I thought of on occasion, but never got around to getting.
    Get it. The Beatles used the air time to play many of those songs that were a stable of their shows when they were just a dancehall band. I think it's over 25 songs that they never officially recorded. Here is one where Ringo let's rip. There was much more to Ringo than what he did when they were recording at EMI.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    Get it. The Beatles used the air time to play many of those songs that were a stable of their shows when they were just a dancehall band. I think it's over 25 songs that they never officially recorded. Here is one where Ringo let's rip. There was much more to Ringo than what he did when they were recording at EMI.
    That's the one I always think of when people criticize Ringo's playing.

That's the one I always think of when people criticize Ringo's playing.
    There is a radio live set on anthology 1 recorded in Sweden. Ringo absolutely is on fire on those tracks. And if you can stand the bad audioquality the star club recordings has some awesome Ringo playing too. I just think that once in the recording studio Ringo decided that his role on a studio recording was different than what it was live.

There is a radio live set on anthology 1 recorded in Sweden. Ringo absolutely is on fire on those tracks. And if you can stand the bad audioquality the star club recordings has some awesome Ringo playing too. I just think that once in the recording studio Ringo decided that his role on a studio recording was different than what it was live.
    Totally agree. That Swedish broadcast is one of the best. Ringo could really let it loose. The Star Club recording is a personal favorite. Interesting story around that one.

When it first came out, The Beatles and EMI fought like crazy to keep it from seeing the light of day. The owners of the tape insisted it was recorded prior to the band being signed, I believe March was their claim. Apparently, $100,000.00 was spent "cleaning up" the recording and, as one can tell, editing pieces together to make some songs longer, among other atrocities. There was nothing in the set list that indicated it wasn't from March '62. Then, years later, the entire show became available in the trading circles, only to reveal that there were, in fact, some originals played and the recording was actually made in December, long after they were signed. The best part is that the complete, unadulterated recording is available.

I remember reading John Lennon's barbed comment about those sleevenotes to the Star Club album. The original Uk version does have original songs on it, actually, though I think there's longer versions with more tracks than the one I have.

I never found the recording as bad as all that, the vocals are barely audible at rimes but that's sometimes the way on old live recordings. I believe it could sound far, far better now with new technology, and 'fake stereo' is also a 'no no' these days.

I rarely play the BBC set, other than the songs they never recorded in the studio. These BBC sessions for many acts are often too dry for my taste, straight replications of the studio versions. The recordings with audiences have more value.

As with the Anthology sets I would rather they had been sequenced better. Some of what they left off surprises me.
    Last edited by JJ88; 09-21-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The original Uk version does have original songs on it
    I never knew that. Hmmm...

If i remember correctly Ask Me Why and I Saw Her Standing There.

yep.

Banned
    I like these comments from Amazon:
    To the cynics that insist that the 'only' reason for a remastered release is to grub more money from the completists is ludicrous. It isn't altruistic either, but as the technology has improved for restoring and remastering recordings of all kinds, many previously released titles merit another purchase. If your ears are wooden or tin, then it won't matter to you, as nuances that are restored were probably overlooked by you in any event.
    I work in mastering, and in just the last ten years, the software and hardware has advanced in great leaps and bounds, and I am sure this re-released and remastered set will be very worthwhile.
    When the 2009 remaster of the catalog was released, we heard a lot of the same whining, largely from people that don't have the ears for it, or have a crap system. The difference between the 1982 and 2009 remasters is huge; broader dynamics, rounder and clearer midrange, and much of the harmonic distortion on the earlier recordings was all but eliminated. The 2009 CD's sound like 'tape', and that is what I am hoping to hear in this new remaster, as well as volume 2.
    Just beware, in coming reviews, of a lot of armchair engineers and audiophiles that embark on diatribes about technical aspects that they really don't understand. There was an accusation of compression being added to the 2009 remasters, which is entirely false. A lot of goobers use amateur analysis of waveforms as the base of their argument. What many don't understand is that the remasters are louder, because a lot of mid frequencies weren't scooped as they were to cut the lacquer (frequency is relative to gain, most notably around 400Hz). Match the EQ to the LP or the 1982 CD's and suddenly the waveforms look the way they think they should.
    I will follow up after i get the set in my hands, but i am eager to get Vol. 2 first. I predict a long weekend lost in The Beatles to follow.

That's all fine and dandy, but if they over-produce this release like the first volume, it will be sad. They sucked the life out of these historic recordings for the sake of clarity. They were radio broadcasts and don't need to sound like super-polished studio releases.

That's all fine and dandy, but if they over-produce this release like the first volume, it will be sad. They sucked the life out of these historic recordings for the sake of clarity. They were radio broadcasts and don't need to sound like super-polished studio releases.
    I disagree with this. Strongly. The sound that went on tape at the BBC was very good. Only when it was transmitted and emitted from the publics cheap transistors did the sound become "unclear". I want a sound as close to the source tape as possible. Don't dorget that almost all of the recordings that are on the first bbc album is taken from people home taping the sound from their radios. In some cases literally using a microphone in front of their transistor radios speakers. The original source tapes for many of these sessions has long been destroyed.

I disagree with this. Strongly. The sound that went on tape at the BBC was very good. Only when it was transmitted and emitted from the publics cheap transistors did the sound become "unclear". I want a sound as close to the source tape as possible. Don't dorget that almost all of the recordings that are on the first bbc album is taken from people home taping the sound from their radios. In some cases literally using a microphone in front of their transistor radios speakers. The original source tapes for many of these sessions has long been destroyed.
    I was unclear in my comment. Let me restate my point. Yes, they were well-recorded. But the first release had all the ambience sucked out of it, for the sake of silence, not clarity. It was painfully obvious during the low levels, which dropped into total silence. And, I don't think there was much from home tapers on that initial release. In fact, there were recordings from the archives that had not previously been in circulation. Taking that one step further, I would welcome more home tapings, because they would include their first broadcast, from March of '62, which included "Dream Baby," which is quite nice, despite the sound quality.

They also did some questionable editing, which is a bit more forgivable than the over-production.

I agree on the ambience thing actually. I wonder if the non inclusion of Dream Baby had something to do with it being Pete on drums. I mean, if they could include I Forget To Remember To Forget which has an equally bad sound.

Anyway, listen to the samples from volume 2. They actually sound MUCH better than what's on vol 1. I'm hoping the remaster will up the quality to what's on vol 2.

I agree on the ambience thing actually. I wonder if the non inclusion of Dream Baby had something to do with it being Pete on drums. I mean, if they could include I Forget To Remember To Forget which has an equally bad sound.

Anyway, listen to the samples from volume 2. They actually sound MUCH better than what's on vol 1. I'm hoping the remaster will up the quality to what's on vol 2.
    I think it might be because the Teenager's Turn broadcast of March 1962 was before they were signed with EMI.

"Deleted"
    Last edited by Kim Olesen; 10-04-2013 at 09:27 PM.