Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PFM - L'Isola Di Niente

Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    A great album, but not their best. That's "Per un Amico" hands down!
    Per Un Amico is easily my favorite as well, but this and the debut are both fantastic too. The title track and ... (the one that is four holes in the ground on the english version) are phenomenal. Oh, if they would only do music like this again...

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    Victor, you misspelled Storia di un Minuto.

I noticed that myself.

But I didn't want to be accused of being a grammar Nazi.

Storia di un Minuto is one of my, no questions asked, desert island albums.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Per Un Amico, Storia Di Un Minuto, Chocolate Kings, L'Isola Di Niente, Cook... these are all just incredible albums IMO. I just LOVE them. The English versions are good too, but I'm a bit of a purist with the Italian bands and prefer the originals. I just want to take this opportunity as I always do to also heap praise on Stati Di Immaginazione, which is a beautiful album.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

One day I'll give 'Stati...' another spin. So far I hear nothing interesting in there at all. No chord changes, no gorgeous melodies, just sounds like jamming to me, which is fine, but from PFM I long for the killer compositions that are abundant on their earlier stuff. But like I said, I'll revisit it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    One day I'll give 'Stati...' another spin. So far I hear nothing interesting in there at all. No chord changes, no gorgeous melodies, just sounds like jamming to me, which is fine, but from PFM I long for the killer compositions that are abundant on their earlier stuff. But like I said, I'll revisit it soon.
    I'd just like to find a copy at a reasonable price!

as for me, PFM's first 3 albums are the pinnacle of Symphonic style Prog from *any* country. L'isola has a weak link in 'Face on Straight' but aside from that it is quite excellent!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I'd just like to find a copy at a reasonable price!

as for me, PFM's first 3 albums are the pinnacle of Symphonic style Prog from *any* country. L'isola has a weak link in 'Face on Straight' but aside from that it is quite excellent!
    Yep. The opening track on Per Un Amico is one of my favorite pieces of music ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    Victor, you misspelled Storia di un Minuto.
    Haha, nah. It is a close second, but "Per Un Amico" is their best IMO.

L'isola has a weak link in 'Face on Straight' but aside from that it is quite excellent!
    How come? Is it the English vocals? I quite like the song myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Who is this Yanks loser? Sad day when I have to quote myself. I do have to count my blessings getting to see PFM twice. The first NF gig, I liked their show plenty, but wasn't overwhelmed. The 2nd time? I shook my head in disbelief when it was over, and couldn't wipe the smile off of my face.
    I rate that 2nd performance as my favorite NF show over the the 11 years I attended. Kenso very close 2nd..

How come? Is it the English vocals? I quite like the song myself.
    it just sounds like it belongs on Chocolate Kings... which is an album by a great Symph Prog band (PFM) trying to sound like an o.k. Symph Prog band (Yes)
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpicturekeys View Post
    I rate that 2nd performance as my favorite NF show over the the 11 years I attended. Kenso very close 2nd..
    For me, it's a top three, with PFM, followed very closely by Kenso and Anglagard (2003). Honorable mention goes to Banco in 2001.

it just sounds like it belongs on Chocolate Kings... which is an album by a great Symph Prog band (PFM) trying to sound like an o.k. Symph Prog band (Yes)
    I agree with none of that. Oh, and I really love Chocolate Kings, maybe my 2nd favorite from PFM, though really I find everything from the debut through Jet Lag to be brilliant.

I agree with none of that. Oh, and I really love Chocolate Kings, maybe my 2nd favorite from PFM, though really I find everything from the debut through Jet Lag to be brilliant.
    I do like CK and JL, but not nearly as much as the first three. I think part of the problem for me was I never completely could warm to Bernado Lanzetti, who was just too over the top for me. Loved the vocals before he was involved. Also, they seemed to focus more on their abilities, rather than the mood, with Chocolate Kings. There are really strong moments on CK, Harlequin and Out of the Roundabout are quite good I think, but the strong mood that I love so much from the first three is almost gone, sadly never to return. Just a personal opinion, I know...

I like everything through Passpartu.
    Bernado Lanzetti is annoying when he sings in english (worst on Chocolate kings), but on Passpartu he sings italian and is just great.
    I have a later double LP live album 'Performance' that bores me to pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I never completely could warm to Bernado Lanzetti, who was just too over the top for me. Loved the vocals before he was involved. ... the strong mood that I love so much from the first three is almost gone, sadly never to return. Just a personal opinion, I know...
    a personal opinion that I share as well
    I'm not a fan of Lanzetti's Gabrielesque vocal style and even less when he sings in English

a personal opinion that I share as well
    I'm not a fan of Lanzetti's Gabrielesque vocal style and even less when he sings in English
    I can imagine his vocals being a stumbling block for some, a bit of an acquired taste. I really like his voice personally, both with PFM and Acqua Fragile.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm confused - is it La Luna Nuova or Four Holes in the Ground?

This album floors me! Their best!
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm confused - is it La Luna Nuova or Four Holes in the Ground?
    If you're listening to L'Isola di Niente, it's "La Luna Nuova." If you're listening to The World Became the World, it's "Four Holes in the Ground."