Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ayreon - The Theory Of Everything - complete details

Ayreon - The Theory Of Everything - complete details

I've been posting details as they've emerged in the "Exciting times this fall" thread but I'm not sure how many notice that, so I'm making a dedicated thread here for those of us who are interested.... If you're an Arjen/Ayreon fan, you have this to look forward to! Four twenty-minute epics, remind you of an album in particular? Of course, these ones are broken up into separate tracks for each 'section'.

http://www.progrockmag.com/news/ayre...ails-revealed/

Arjen Lucassen has confirmed the tracklist, artwork and complete list of guests who appear on upcoming Ayreon album The Theory Of Everything.

The double-disc work includes a total of 42 tracks and includes contributions from members of ELP, Yes, Dream Theater, Genesis, Asia, Nightwish and more.

Lucassen has been teasing fans for months since he first confirmed a new Ayreon album was under production.

Now he’s confirmed: “It begins a completely new storyline for the Ayreon universe. It’s a true rock opera with a dramatic real-world story in four 20-minute-plus epics divided into 42 separate tracks.”

The Theory Of Everything is set for release on October 28.

Guest artists

Marco Hietala (Nightwish)
    Keith Emerson (Emerson, Lake & Palmer)
    Janne ‘JB’ Christoffersson (Grand Magus)
    Rick Wakeman (Yes)
    Cristina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil)
    Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater)
    Michael Mills (Toehider)
    Steve Hackett (Genesis)
    John Wetton (Asia, King Crimson)
    Sara Squadrani (Ancient Bards)
    Tommy Karevik (Kamelot, Seventh Wonder)
    Troy Donockley (Bad Shepherds, Nightwish)
    Tracklist

Disc 1
    Phase I: Singularity
    01. Prologue: The Blackboard
    02. The Theory Of Everything Part 1
    03. Patterns
    04. The Prodigy’s World
    05. The Teacher’s Discovery
    06. Love And Envy
    07. Progressive Waves
    08. The Gift
    09. The Eleventh Dimension
    10. Inertia
    11. The Theory Of Everything Part 2

Phase II: Symmetry
    12. The Consultation
    13. Diagnosis
    14. The Argument 1
    15. The Rival’s Dilemma
    16. Surface Tension
    17. A Reason To Live
    18. Potential
    19. Quantum Chaos
    20. Dark Medicine
    21. Alive!
    22. The Prediction

Disc 2
    Phase III: Entanglement
    01. Fluctuations
    02. Transformation
    03. Collision
    04. Side Effects
    05. Frequency Modulation
    06. Magnetism
    07. Quid Pro Quo
    08. String Theory
    09. Fortune?

Phase IV: Unification
    10. Mirror Of Dreams
    11. The Lighthouse
    12. The Argument 2
    13. The Parting
    14. The Visitation
    15. The Breakthrough
    16. The Note
    17. The Uncertainty Principle
    18. Dark Energy
    19. The Theory Of Everything Part 3
    20. The Blackboard (Reprise)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to it.

Can't wait! Thanks for posting.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I heard an advance copy - it doesn't really get going until about the 35th section.

Just kidding - come on, does it really need that many discreet sections? I actually haven't even had a chance to listen to his last project.

Am I the only one who can't really tell and doesn't really care if it's an Ayreon release, an Arjen Lucassen release, or one of the other permutations? They all sound like they come from the same meat grinder. Not that it's bad, just...samey. I would actually LOVE all his albums if Hansi Kursch did most of the vocals on them all - he's my fave of the vocalists Lucassen uses. Also, they usually need more guitar solos.

Thanks for posting this, though, Progatron - didn't know about this.

Jon Neudorf
    I thought his last solo, "Lost In The New Real", was quite different from your typical Ayreon release. More of a folky/celtic vibe to some of the tracks. I do agree though you can easily tell it's Arjen. I expect this to be a little heavier but will have to wait and see. A must purchase for sure.

Regards,
    Jon
    Last edited by jlneudorf; 09-09-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Auto buy with some interesting guests !

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I heard an advance copy - it doesn't really get going until about the 35th section.

Just kidding - come on, does it really need that many discreet sections? I actually haven't even had a chance to listen to his last project.

Am I the only one who can't really tell and doesn't really care if it's an Ayreon release, an Arjen Lucassen release, or one of the other permutations? They all sound like they come from the same meat grinder. Not that it's bad, just...samey. I would actually LOVE all his albums if Hansi Kursch did most of the vocals on them all - he's my fave of the vocalists Lucassen uses. Also, they usually need more guitar solos.

Thanks for posting this, though, Progatron - didn't know about this.
    I agree with you, they do sound samey. The only ones I decided to keep because I really do like them are 'The Universal Migrator' albums, The Star One cds and the Guilt Machine which, in my opinion, is the best thing he's done. I don't know if you have the Guilt Machine cd, I think this is different and a little bit removed from his Ayreon and Star One albums in that it is more modern sounding. I've sold the other Ayreon cds I don't care about but I still have 'Into The Electric Castle' and '01011001' available for sale or trade so if anyone is interested send me a PM. I'm thinking this new one will follow the same territory as the others, so I will wait for reviews and will listen to it on internet radio to decide if I'll buy or not.

Monotheistic Supernalist ProgPariah77's Avatar
    Another upcoming release to which I am looking forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
    I agree with you, they do sound samey. The only ones I decided to keep because I really do like them are 'The Universal Migrator' albums, The Star One cds and the Guilt Machine which, in my opinion, is the best thing he's done. I don't know if you have the Guilt Machine cd, I think this is different and a little bit removed from his Ayreon and Star One albums in that it is more modern sounding.
    I love the Guilt Machine album, and would be happy if Arjen decided to do another of those in the future. Apparently it's his lowest seller though, so that may put him off. It's too bad, it's an excellent record and I listen to it every bit as much as the others in his oeuvre. The Universal Migrator discs were actually the first to hook me on him. I had only heard the Actual Fantasy album before that and it was okay but didn't excite me, but those really worked for me and I've loved his stuff ever since. I know 01011001 was a bit overblown but I actually really love that one too. I enjoyed his solo effort as well and thought he had a lot of balls to cover something as hallowed as "The Battle Of Evermore".
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Guilt Machine should get more love. It's my favorite thing Arjen's done.
    <sig out of order>

Although I didn't care for the last one (especially the lyrics), I'll still buy just about anything from him.

My very favorite is The Dream Sequencer, followed by The Human Equation. Like Guilt Machine alot too.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I have always had issues with his lyrics, and some of the singers. But I'll buy it. At first glance it looks like Arjen has been brushing up on string theory and Quantum jitter solutions... I have a sinking feeling this subject will not translate well to Arjen material. Its pretty obscure stuff. Once again, I'll probably love the music and bristle at some of the vocals/lyrics. This wont stop me from enjoying the overall product though. Samey-samey is OK, as long as its good samey-samey.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Auto buy with some interesting guests !
    +1

Arjen's, Lost In The New Real didn't get a lot of plays by me. The narration and story line are out there a bit, tho it has some good parts. I like disc 2 with some good covers. I really like the cover of The Battle Of Evermore a lot, and I too think Guilt Machine is Arjen's best work. Wore the grooves off of that disc.

There are people who like Guilt Machine quiet a bit. It's not my favourite of his. I rather prefer Ayreon or Star One.
    I'm interested in this upcoming record. Some cool guest musicians. Hoping for some quality music as I don't remember liking the last one very much. After a break it should be better. I don't like the word "filler", but that is one of the problems which I had with some of the albums - some could have been shorter or just simply a single CD (not a double). This should be good as there are only four tracks.

Beautiful album cover.

The ONLY thing I have from Arjen is The Guilt Machine. I love it, in large part due to that amazing vocalist. Does he feature on any of Arjen's other projects? And do any of you suggest any particular Arjen releases if The Guilt Machine is my starting point? Or should I just stop there?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Beautiful album cover.

The ONLY thing I have from Arjen is The Guilt Machine. I love it, in large part due to that amazing vocalist. Does he feature on any of Arjen's other projects? And do any of you suggest any particular Arjen releases if The Guilt Machine is my starting point? Or should I just stop there?
    Guilt Machine is a bit different for Arjen in that it's a more mature and modern sounding record than his Ayreon and Star One albums, although not that far removed. I think you should listen to samples or internet radio to see if his Ayreon and Star One cds are for you. I would also recommend you the first Stream of Passion cd 'Embrace the Storm' which was a project started by Arjen with Marcela Bovio on vocals that later evolved as a band without Arjen.

He lost me with Human Equation, didn't like that one and haven't kept up with what he's been doing since then. I do like Star One's "Space Metal" the best, and the Universal Migrator set was good too, but I didn't hang onto his earlier releases. Decent, but I didn't feel a real need to listen. I will probably check this out, and give Guilt Machine a listen as well since I haven't been keeping up with his projects.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    He lost me with Human Equation, didn't like that one and haven't kept up with what he's been doing since then. I do like Star One's "Space Metal" the best, and the Universal Migrator set was good too, but I didn't hang onto his earlier releases. Decent, but I didn't feel a real need to listen. I will probably check this out, and give Guilt Machine a listen as well since I haven't been keeping up with his projects.
    After enjoying the earlier stuff you didn't like The Human Equation so you dumped his earlier releases as well? lol...maybe I misunderstood...

That was the first Ayreon album I heard and I still think it's one of his best along with Into The Electric Castle. Not so crazy about Lost In The New Real, the more recent Star One, or the 1010101101010101 thing. Initially I liked Stream of Passion's first album , but eventually I came to prefer Stream of Passion after Arjen left.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    After enjoying the earlier stuff you didn't like The Human Equation so you dumped his earlier releases as well? lol...maybe I misunderstood...

That was the first Ayreon album I heard and I still think it's one of his best along with Into The Electric Castle. Not so crazy about Lost In The New Real, the more recent Star One, or the 1010101101010101 thing. Initially I liked Stream of Passion's first album , but eventually I came to prefer Stream of Passion after Arjen left.
    These are also my thoughts on his catalogue !

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
    I agree with you, they do sound samey. The only ones I decided to keep because I really do like them are 'The Universal Migrator' albums, The Star One cds and the Guilt Machine which, in my opinion, is the best thing he's done. I don't know if you have the Guilt Machine cd, I think this is different and a little bit removed from his Ayreon and Star One albums in that it is more modern sounding. I've sold the other Ayreon cds I don't care about but I still have 'Into The Electric Castle' and '01011001' available for sale or trade so if anyone is interested send me a PM. I'm thinking this new one will follow the same territory as the others, so I will wait for reviews and will listen to it on internet radio to decide if I'll buy or not.
    I like the Guilt Machine album - you're right, that one does have a more modern sound, and that vocalist is great.

I actually haven't listened to the most recent one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Wow, different strokes I guess. For me, Human Equation is possibly my favorite album of the past 20 years, it's nearly flawless to my ears. Every singer gives an inspired performance, the playing is what you expect, to a high standard. And even the story is good, and I normally hate concept albums. I ignore most of the stories on Ayreon discs, but not here. I found myself actually caring about the characters. And the music varies greatly, nearly going as far as death-metal, especially with the Åkerfeldt growling bits -the only death growls I've EVER enjoyed! The song "Loser" incorporates so many styles, it's hard to keep track. The performance there by the late Mike Baker of Shadow Gallery, you could just tell he had a blast recording that. And then there is "Day 11:Love", really a melodic hard rock/pop masterpiece, my favorite song on this. What separates this album for me from the others is the presence of so many incredible, memorable melodies, and how every voice fits in so well. I liked the next Ayreon album, 01011001, but I don't think it ever quite reached the heights of HE.

For me, I'd rank my top 3 Ayreon discs as HE, Electric Castle and then 01011001. Universal Migrator is good, but it's not a rock opera, and I don't like splitting the album the way it is, either all trippy and mellow or just all heavy. "The Final Experiment" is quite good for a first time rock opera for Lucassen, it shows what great things were to come. As to other projects, both Star One albums are great fun. High art? Nah, but they are a blast to crank up. And I really like first Stream of Passion. Never heard either Guilt Machine or Lost in the New Real, or whatever else he's done.

Yes, You will be asked who this artist is if you blast it out in any public area. The music is always very unique to his own style.

For those who haven't heard Guilt Machine:

<sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Since it was 9 years ago I can't recall what it was I didn't like about HE, I think the lyrics were too wordy/talky is one thing I didn't like. Gave it a few spins and found I really disliked it so I sold it. I didn't sell the others immediately. Had the first 3 (Final Experiment, Actual Fantasy, Electric Castle) and liked them at first but at some point I tired of them and the luster wore off, had the same thing happen with a couple Spocks Beard albums. So I sold those off later I think. I kept Universal Migrator and Star One because those still have "staying power" for me.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...