Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zs - "New Slaves"

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I keep reminding me I need to buy the Zs Box

Uncle Steve over at wayside Music:

"FOUR CDs filled with amazement and bafflement and conditionally recommended if you are a person who thinks the stuff released on Cuneiform is for pussies and/or you like to inflame your neighbors."

I" saw Zs in 2006 and they were really amazing and really difficult; four guys (2 guitars, sax, drums) sit in chairs facing each other with VOLUMINOUS amounts of musical scores in front of them. Using head & hand signals as well as the scores, they played a very, very intense, long, loud music that touched on aspects of rock, punk, 20th century composition, improvisation and lord knows what else.

It was definitely rock music, but it never actually 'rocked' and it was rock music from Jupiter. As I was watching it and being simultaneously unbelievably impressed as well as overwhelmed, I remember thinking that this must be like what it must have felt like to have seen the Phillip Glass Ensemble in 1971, when no one had ever heard music like this before, yet here was this utterly alien music unfolding before your eyes. Phew! And what I saw was by a quartet; this is by the SEXTET version of the group! Dear lord, can you say 'rehearsal intensive'? "
    That's the same show I saw in NYC! I don't think I knew Steve yet, or perhaps he thought I was an asshole? Now he knows its true. Was this a Cuneiform event? I honestly can't remember?

I'mma put in another plug for Extra Life, Charlie Looker's band after leaving Zs. It doesn't really sound much like Arms, but it's great (and now, sadly, finished)

I saw them again last year. It was still very good and interesting, but nowhere near as alien as the first time, which was really unique.

I give them big props for having the balls to be so 'out' for as long as they have. That's a hard stance to maintain.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    That's the same show I saw in NYC! Was this a Cuneiform event? I honestly can't remember?
    Hi Frankie

I saw them in DC, not NYC. They did an entire USA tour. I went b/c I was hipped to them by Paul Lai of Upsilon Acrux, who told me that I needed to check them out because he had seen them before and thought they were great, but now he thought they were ready (meaning he thought I should sign them).

They were great, but watching the bafflement on the faces of nearly everyone in attendance (and watching a lot of people leave) told me that signing them would be a very bad business decision.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    They were great, but watching the bafflement on the faces of nearly everyone in attendance (and watching a lot of people leave) told me that signing them would be a very bad business decision.
    I can confirm that for the 15 of us that stuck around for their full set, it was a legendary night. Definitely one of the most memorable shows I've ever seen.

Has anyone listened to the Score box? For someone that's already heard most of the previously released material by the quartet version of the band, is there any value added in getting the box?

Quote Originally Posted by progreviews View Post
    I can confirm that for the 15 of us that stuck around for their full set, it was a legendary night. Definitely one of the most memorable shows I've ever seen.
    Agreed and agreed!

It inspired me to write one of the best Wayside descriptions I will ever do (see above)

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    I'mma put in another plug for Extra Life, Charlie Looker's band after leaving Zs. It doesn't really sound much like Arms, but it's great (and now, sadly, finished)
    Completely agree; amazing band with three utterly GREAT albums.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Completely agree; amazing band with three utterly GREAT albums.
    I did try them but something (the vocals? ) put me off...

I did try them but something (the vocals? ) put me off...
    He's not a bad vocalist technically speaking, IMO - yet somehow I can see why some would find his timbre a bit off-putting. He also contributed vox (and guitars) to the very first Time of Orchids album, Melonwhisper - and it sounds. I personally dion't have anything against them, though; I was always too overwhelmed by the music to succumb to Looker's voice.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

It seems only fitting that this band has about 6 people at PE who have actually heard of them and..ready...actually listens to them! You Fucking WEIRDOS!!!!
    Here's one more weirdo!

Quote Originally Posted by aplodon View Post
    Here's one more weirdo!
    Weird'e taking over!

Would that they were.
    Agreed with Extra Life, terrific band but the top lines are just not *quite* exciting enough to put them in the league that, say, Shudder To Think are.
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 01-29-2014 at 06:41 PM.

chalkpie
    Spinning 'Arms' right now. That tune "I Can't Concentrate" is fucking amazing! So over the top and so wonderful. I've heard a bunch of minimalism, but these cats are bringing something new to that party with tunes like this. I guess the only logical step is for them to expand and maybe write for a chamber-like group (or basically a small-ish orchestra), or have they done that already? Spotify has a good chunk of their albums, but I need to own these.

Udi - great recording bro!

chalkpie
    These guys could also take the approach of writing for sequencer a la Jazz From Hell, Civilization, and integrate their live stuff with computer. You can really take it to left field then.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Would that they were.
    Agreed with Extra Life, terrific band but the top lines are just not *quite* exciting enough to put them in the league that, say, Shudder To Think are.
    Just threw on "Get Your Goat" on Spotify. Anybody that says that Spotify is ripping off artists (yeah my shit is on there too) hasn't seen my credit card statements. Anyway, I am totally digging this. usually the pop-type thing isn't my cuppa, but there is some cool-ass shit happening here.

Kavus, can you tell what I need to know about this band/recordings when you get a chance? Ta mate.

One thing Frank: Pony Express Record.
    Get Your Goat is lovely and everything but it's like the difference between Safe As Milk and Trout Mask Replica. Have fun, I'm sure you will!
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 02-03-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Extra Life: Secular Works is a treat !

Pony Express Record is just about the only STT I like, barring a few songs from Goat. Their older stuff doesn't do anything for me and the follow up, 50000 B.C., was terrible. They found a special magic for one album at least.
    Last edited by Morpheus; 02-03-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Can you tell what I need to know about this band/recordings when you get a chance?
    For my part, it suffices to note that there's actually a link between StT and the Brooklyn avant-rock scene by way of bass player/singer-songwriter Jesse Krakow, who performs with StT on tour and was among the founders of Time of Orchids (where Charlie Looker of Zs and Extra Life also had a stint).
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 12-01-2014 at 03:01 AM.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    One thing Frank: Pony Express Record.
    Get Your Goat is lovely and everything but it's like the difference between Safe As Milk and Trout Mask Replica. Have fun, I'm sure you will!
    A-ha. Thanks man - I'll check it out.

Got 'New Slaves' from the good man Steve last week. Wasn't quite sure what to expect and...it met expectations Definitely abrasive in texture at times, but at least for me it's weirdly sort of trancelike. I actually popped it on while reading in bed a few nights ago to help me wind down.

Probably worth a few more bucks to explore, so I'll probably go seeking Score next...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

New album coming In January.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    New album coming In January.
    Yay.

And on Northern Spy. Double yay.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    the Brooklyn avant-rock scene
    I guess no thread that mentions the Brooklyn avant-rock scene can be complete without Normal Love
    The more I listen to Survival Tricks the more I am amazed Frankie do yourself the favor...

I guess no thread that mentions the Brooklyn avant-rock scene can be complete without Normal Love

Still haven't got around to buying that bulk of vinyls from Wayside yet, but this one is at the top of the heap.