Thread: Live In Montreal 1977- ELP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Live In Montreal 1977- ELP

http://shoutfactory.com/?q=node/218418

available in November, an almost complete show judging by the setlist, missing Hoedown and Tarkus.

Banned
    Would that have been with the orchestra? As long as this isn't bootleg quality, I'm all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by benson View Post
    Would that have been with the orchestra? As long as this isn't bootleg quality, I'm all over it.
    Some of the best-sounding recordings I have are bootlegs and far surpass official releases. And, they don't have all the overdubs.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Some of the best-sounding recordings I have are bootlegs and far surpass official releases. And, they don't have all the overdubs.
    There's one Grateful Dead show from March 73 where I think the audience tape sounds better than the soundboard tape (because the old soundboard tape that circulated for years had this weird hum on it).

yes this was the last show with the orchestra, shout factory releases sre supposed to be soundboard recordings

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada; Montreal, Quebec, Canada; Coburn Gore, Maine, USA
    Is it a repackaging of this ?

ELP in concert

i am guessing that it is a different source and on works live peter gunn, tiger, watching over you, maple leaf rag and the introduction are from the fall '77 shows, without the orchestra. i was at msg for the july orchestra show on the second night and the wnew 10th anniversary concert in october '77 without the orchestra and the above songs were played at the wnew show. so i don't think in concert/works live was just the olympic stadium show.

Auto buy ! Just wish someone would clean up the DVD !

Yikes, another shoddy bit of redundant ELP product being released. No Hoedown or Tarkus, why bother? No amount of remastering or sonic trickery is ever going to make that show sound great, what's the point?

I know that ELP and other bands of that era were in a period where it was expensive and difficult to film concerts and even just doing soundboard recordings to a 16-track was a minor miracle (see: the new King Crimson boxset), but there's no excuse for the way ELP's archive is handled. All those shitty "Best Of" packages that don't include Tarkus or all of Karn Evil 9 but do include stuff from Black Moon; the "bootlegs" which sounded better on the bootlegs I bought in the early 80's etc. Sure, the rights to them are a bit of a mess, but still.

I'd be willing to be trained by a professional archivist like Phish's Kevin Shapiro if ELP wants to offer me a job.
    ...or you could love