Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tangent joins forces w/ Karmakanic in 2014

The Tangent joins forces w/ Karmakanic in 2014

Post from Andy Tillison:

As promised, here's a heads up on our plans for live work in 2014

We're very happy to announce that the Tangent WILL perform live with Karmakanic in 2014 and that the main focus of the Tangent gigs WILL be "Le Sacre Du Travail"

The hybrid group of SIX musicians will play two sets at each show, representing the music of each band. The line up will be the same for both groups and here is that line up:

Andy Tillison - Keyboards (both bands) and Lead Vocal (The Tangent)

Jonas Reingold - Bass Guitar/backing vocals (Both Bands)

Lalle Larsson - keyboards (both bands)

Morgan Ågren - Drums (both bands)

Luke Machin - Guitar and backing vocals (both bands)

Göran Edman - Lead Vocals (Karmakanic) Backing Vocals (The Tangent)

From the Tangent's point of view, this will see a return to the 2 keyboards player lineup from the band's early years as the material from "Le Sacre" will require this increase.

The UK show at The CELEBR8.3 Festival is on Saturday 31 May 2014 with Karmakanic headlining the afternoon session and The Tangent finishing off the evening after an as yet unspecified fabulous artist! Not only this but LUKE MACHIN will play a THIRD performance on the second day of the festival (Sunday June 1) with his band Maschine! It's shaping up to be a terrific event. I'm sure Geoff Banks will have more to tell us soon.

The gig at CELEBR8.3 will be at the end of a short European tour by The Tangent and Karmakanic (Not, sadly, Maschine) which is expected to commence in Scandanavia. Dates will be announced shortly. It's likely that one of the shows will be recorded and filmed!

BOOKING INFORMATION and GUESTS and many more details to follow of course!
    At present www.thetangent.org is probably most up to date on this complete with some bio of the musicians involved.

Great lineup! Hopefully US audiences will get to see this.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    Agreed!
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    Andy replied to a similar question on Facebook that you should let your favourite festival in the US know you want to see them. Which I guess means they are available :-)

The only problem I see with RoSfest is that they just had Karmakanic 2 years ago. That wouldn't bother me if they have them again as IMO they were the best band I ever saw at RoSfest.

I really don't know any specifics, but I was just with George at Progday & he's already thinking about 2015 bands, which, by inference (& he didn't deny it) means he already has his 10 or 11 2014 bands and is waiting until contracts are signed in a couple of months before making any band announcements.
    Last edited by progeezer; 09-06-2013 at 03:53 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I really don't know any specifics, but I was just with George at Progday & he's already thinking about 2014 bands, which, by inference (& he didn't deny it) means he already has his 10 or 11 2013 bands and is waiting until contracts are signed in a couple of months before making any band announcements.
    I think you need to add 1 year to your dates for it to make sense

Fixed - thanks!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Heck, could we just invite The Tangent/Karmakanic to do a 10 stop tour of the states. Would there be enough interest for them to make it worthwhile for them? I would like to see this gig.

Quote Originally Posted by gibberish View Post
    Heck, could we just invite The Tangent/Karmakanic to do a 10 stop tour of the states. Would there be enough interest for them to make it worthwhile for them? I would like to see this gig.
    If they are willing to play for 25-50 people at the majority of these stops, in terms of financial feasibility...
    the prog scene in the US is incredibly scarce and scattered. It only looks much bigger than it is because it is concentrated virtually on this site. It gives the impression of "wow look at all these prog fans!" but we're scattered widely across the USA and the globe.

^^ What he says. There is a fraction of people here that live in fairytale land. Most bands within the progworld can hardly keep themselves afloat financially in such a way they can record an album every 2 to 3 years. Touring on this level is most cases costs them money either through the expenses or for instance by taking non paid leave from their work.

That's the unfortunate truth...and by some people's standards these bands have no reason to exist because they should be surviving off tour profits and give their albums away for free.
    <sig out of order>

Karmakanic kicked major ass as Rosfest, I'd love a return engagement. And I've never seen the Tangent live, so that would be most welcome. Come on, two concerts in one weekend with Lalle Larsson! If not Rosfest, I sure hope their is a NE US gig for these two bands.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    ^^ What he says. There is a fraction of people here that live in fairytale land. Most bands within the progworld can hardly keep themselves afloat financially in such a way they can record an album every 2 to 3 years. Touring on this level is most cases costs them money either through the expenses or for instance by taking non paid leave from their work.
    I feel that the folks that haven't heard this music are living in their own fairytale land. Boxed into their own little world that won't let them experience the best music available to them.I hope that this may change, but it may take a bit. I would really like to see The Tangent/Karmakanic be able to play in the U.S.

I feel that the folks that haven't heard this music are living in their own fairytale land. Boxed into their own little world that won't let them experience the best music available to them.I hope that this may change, but it may take a bit. I would really like to see The Tangent/Karmakanic be able to play in the U.S.
    Then why not go all out, pull out your wallet / creditcard and make it happen?

Arrange a show! In the prog scene, "they" don't arrange shows, "we" do.

Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post
    Arrange a show! In the prog scene, "they" don't arrange shows, "we" do.
    I am not equipped to pay for European bands to come to the U.S. I try to support many bands by buying their CD's, and buy concert tickets when they become available. There are a few bands from Europe that have had decent success in playing in the U.S. I am looking for reasons why there isn't more interest in this music. I would drive 4 hrs. or possibly jump on a plane to see these bands at a U.S. festival. I couldn't handle a week on a cruise, which is becoming the way to go. I want prog to succeed and I love to see live music.

Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Karmakanic was indeed wonderful at Rosfest. They've played there twice already, and the Tangent once. I don't know if George would bring them back for a third time, but I doubt many would complain if he did!

Of course, Karmakanic and Roine/Jonas' band The Agents of Mercy did a co-headlining tour that included the States. If they could pull it off, perhaps the Tangent could, too?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Karmakanic was indeed wonderful at Rosfest. They've played there twice already, and the Tangent once. I don't know if George would bring them back for a third time, but I doubt many would complain if he did!

Of course, Karmakanic and Roine/Jonas' band The Agents of Mercy did a co-headlining tour that included the States. If they could pull it off, perhaps the Tangent could, too?
    I went to the Detroit show on that tour. It was in a 400 seat theater and there were maybe 50 people there at the most. They had to have lost money on it. The show was great, but economically a tour like this would be very difficult.

Steve Sly

I am not equipped to pay for European bands to come to the U.S.
    Nor were Chad and myself, at ANY point during NEARfest history. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post
    Nor were Chad and myself, at ANY point during NEARfest history. :-)
    I have to appreciate your efforts, although I have never been to a festival. I've seen a few prog shows in Chicago and Milwaukee, and I have the desire to see more prog bands in a live setting. I am not an organizer, by any means, but I am pretty good at dreaming in color. Maybe some day my dreams will be in black and white.

Seems to me that The Tangent have been around for a lot of years now, had many very popular album releases, but yet - have only played one festival in the USA - Rosfest in 2005, and not one since.

What's up with that?

Man In The Mountain, I see that you are from the Chicago area. I was to The Riverside/ Jolly show in Chicago in May. They played in front of 500 folks there, and read on their facebook page that they played in front of 60 at Syracuse or Rochester. Not sure which town. It seems that there is a festival in Chicago, although, as I recall, it's not until Fall. Maybe Chicago is a place that could draw a decent crowd for The Tangent and Karmakanic.

Man In The Mountain, I see that you are from the Chicago area. I was to The Riverside/ Jolly show in Chicago in May. They played in front of 500 folks there, and read on their facebook page that they played in front of 60 at Syracuse or Rochester. Not sure which town. It seems that there is a festival in Chicago, although, as I recall, it's not until Fall. Maybe Chicago is a place that could draw a decent crowd for The Tangent and Karmakanic.
    Nobody has successfully put on a proper prog festival in the Chicago area. There was a one evening fest last fall, (crammed with D97, 3 Friends, N Morse), but not this year. The Tangent would not attract 500 people here on their own. They could play a club and maybe attract 100... if they're really lucky.