Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Listening to Music at Work

Our business has both office space and a warehouse. We're allowed to wear headphones in the warehouse, but not in the office. We are allowed to have music at our desks at a reasonable level. I use one of those Go Groove cubes that play a flash drive. I have about 5 flash drives now.

Retirement isn't even a consideration for me at this point. Although, I do have enough money to last the rest of my life ... provided I die next week.

Two years ago I moved from a building with about 600 employees to one of our satellite buildings with about 40 employees. Then two months ago I moved into one of our largely vacant buildings...which is about the same size but with only about 8 or 9 people. But I'm separated from most of them. It's just me and one other person in a huge open space with a waterjet cutting table in one corner. When the equipment isn't running we turn on my 30GB iPod on a little docking station. The bad part is we never know when we're going to get visitors like safety inspectors, upper management, etc...although they are all pretty mellow.

The other day I was listening to that Cardboard Amanda track that has a long silence and then comes in with the air raid sirens and the creepy voice saying "this is a red alert"....I immediately began to make sure no one was around and getting freaked out, lol. The other recent one was when one of our European sales guys came in during a particularly bizarre sounding live Van Der Graaf tune - he was okay with it, but was chuckling when I ran to turn it down.. I've definitely gotten lots of raised eyebrows and "WTF is this shit?" comments. Luckily there isn't much Zappa on the iPod right now.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Our business has both office space and a warehouse. We're allowed to wear headphones in the warehouse, but not in the office. We are allowed to have music at our desks at a reasonable level. I use one of those Go Groove cubes that play a flash drive. I have about 5 flash drives now.
    Safety-wise, I find this odd... cutting yourself from the traffic noises in the alleys is potentially dangerous
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I could listen to music on headphones at work if I wanted to. It is allowed. But I don't.

There is no form of music that I listen to that would be conducive to listening while working.

And more importantly, music is way too important to me to listen to while doing something else.

I am an active music listener. In other words, when I listen to music, that is my primary activity and focus. I get way too emotionally and intellectually involved when I listen to music to be able to concentrate on other activities.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    i listen to my ipod at work when i am in my cubicle or when I work on my artwork. When I am filing, I put on last.fm, onto Zero Kama radio, Moon Lay Hidden Beneath a Cloud radio or Arktau Eos radio. It's because the file room has moving shelves and I nearly had a Star Wars trash compactor moment or nearly gave someone such a moment. I put music on because I know people will definately look if Phurpa or Black Mayonnaise is on.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

yes. headphones. morow.com or a selection of my own albums. mandatory for enduring the mostly imbecilic natter that constitutes so much of the advertising business. “you can do your housework in half the time when listening to the ramones” (according to them anyway) and i can finish a layout or get some thoroughbred typesetting done much easier when listening to cardiacs...

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    yes. headphones. morow.com or a selection of my own albums. mandatory for enduring the mostly imbecilic natter that constitutes so much of the advertising business. “you can do your housework in half the time when listening to the ramones” (according to them anyway) and i can finish a layout or get some thoroughbred typesetting done much easier when listening to cardiacs...
    Word. I have a serious drama queen issue nearby and nothing drowns it out better than some screamin' norwegian music...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Word. I have a serious drama queen issue nearby and nothing drowns it out better than some screamin' norwegian music...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Too be honest our office too quiet, there's very little chatter going on & I find the quiet distracting, I focus better when there's background music.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Too be honest our office too quiet, there's very little chatter going on & I find the quiet distracting, I focus better when there's background music.
    As a matter of principle I'm against "background music" for all the reasons Simon Moon mentions -- despite the fact that I was in the business for a decade. However, that said, my current employer pipes low-level white noise through the overheads (at least I *think* it's not the HVAC?) and when it goes off, the place gets eerily quiet. White noise really *does* mask noise around you, and after a while (like a frog in a kettle) you don't notice it.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Well my 'background music' is Henry Cow, King Crimson & Sleepytime Gorilla Museum so your mileage may vary
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

There is no way I could work here if I couldn't slap on headphones to drown out the ruckus. My job requires focus and concentration and there are too many obnoxious people around me spouting off about whatever crosses their minds all day long.

I uploaded my entire collection to Google Music, so I am good to go wherever I am.

I should add that I can only do mindless work while listening to music. It's hard for music to be "background" for me. I'm always listening and analyzing and dissecting when there is music going on. I guess I have a one track mind.
    <sig out of order>