Thread: London CD & Vinyl Shops

London CD & Vinyl Shops

Can anyone suggest some good record stores in London worth checking out?

Thanks!

The HMV on Oxford st. 150 is one of the best. Fopp - Shaftesbury avenue, 144-146 - nice assortment, the cheapest prices, Sister Ray - Berwick st, 34-35.

Sorry, I only know where the cannabis shops are

But seriously, check out Berwick Street in Soho, still a few good music shops there eventhough a couple shutdown in the 90s.

I like Flashback Records, on Essex Road in Islington. Great selection and reasonable prices. There is also Haggle Records nearby, also on Essex Road, though I've never had much luck there. The vinyl bins are overstocked and difficult to peruse, and the prices are a bit steep. Overall, the vinyl scene in London is a bit disappointing - I expected much more and better shops.
    Last edited by Father Tiresias; 09-04-2013 at 11:00 PM.

There used to be a great shop on The Green on Upper Street, Islington. They carried a great selection of new, leftfield, fringe, stuff as well as loads of unusual secondhand vinyl. Anyone know if they're still there?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    But seriously, check out Berwick Street in Soho, still a few good music shops there eventhough a couple shutdown in the 90s.
    From my latest visits I remember basically this street being the place where I 'scored' the most. The rest of the usual places were either all gone or very dissappointing. It isn't like it used to be when I first came to London in the early 90s.

I wazs just going to to suggest that Peter could tell you in which shop you could get the best hints as to where to get some killer weed

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Sorry, I only know where the cannabis shops are

Mmmmhhh!!!!... Only Sister Ray is worthy nowadays (though last time I was in Londinium was in 08 or 09, but I don't expect the situation to have mproved). Oxford street still has two HMV shops, but only the obne close to tottehnam Court has (had?) a good rock selection

Anything in Camden Market in terms of good record places?
    I'd also try the Islington area, but last time I was around that area was in 98 or 99
    Last edited by Trane; 09-05-2013 at 05:24 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Yea, sadly the good old days are long gone, when Sister Ray was a tiny little place on the west side of B Street, a few doors along from the Record & Tape Exchange shop.

The Sister's current abode on the E side used to be occupied by Selectadisc, in its day the very best shop on B street for fringe music, that was where I used to buy all my Cardiacs and related stuff.

Then back in the early 90s further south on the east side of b street was the soul, reggae, funk, jazz shop with loads of great secondhand and new vinyl and CDs. Then there was also the secondhand place with all the 60s and hard rock stuff, both new and secondhand.

There was also the place on the west side further north that only sold new CDs at really cheap prices, loads of volume, dozens of the same disc, still in boxes. Thousands of different albums.

Then there was the tiny little place with the old geezer that only sold jazz and classical.

And on an adjoining street further south (Brewer Street) was the movie shop, films, posters, books,music, toys. And there was another movie place on Wardour Street.

I haven't been to Soho since 2009. So I have no idea what's left there.

And of course there was rough trade off Portobello Road, and many other record shops scattered around the Portobello area....and all the record & tape exchange shops scattered all over London Notting Hill, Camden, Brixton, Stoke Newington.