Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deep Purple '70s Albums Box Set

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I agree with you on that last point, Greg. In fact, I wish this lineup made another album.
    Yeah that would've been cool, but alas, they disbanded, a sad move really.

I owned a couple DP LP's back in the day but never upgraded to CD. This might be an incentive. That is, if I have spare cash left over after springing for the Humble Pie "Rockin the Fillmore" full set box.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Boy, I've got to jump in and offer some kudos to WDWTWA. That was the first Purple record I bought, so it has a special place in my heart. Love Mary Long, Woman from Tokyo, Our Lady, ..shoot! i love the whole thing! You don't get a lot of Blackmore soloing, but the songs are great and I think it's one of Gillan's finest moments!

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Audio Fidelity - oh, no. These are Hoffman remasters, and they stand down to those Anniversary CDs. Treble, treble, more treble - Hoffman concentrates on bass, but loses the richness of high frequencies. Muffled.
    I bought that Made In Japan expanded 25th and it was just dead from no-noise. No hiss = no life.

Hoffman could remaster something better with his eyes closed than that. Awful.

Btw, while I think he's a bit overrated, I'm not sure I've ever heard anything that Hoffman has ever done that I would describe as "muffled." Maybe you accidentally have your treble knob turned down or just like a lot more treble than some folks?

Best thread ever for Deep Purple on CD:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...-albums.91255/

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    I bought that [I]I'm not sure I've ever heard anything that Hoffman has ever done that I would describe as "muffled." Maybe you accidentally have your treble knob turned down or just like a lot more treble than some folks?
    No, of course, it's always set up in a highest position) Lack of treble is easy to notice in comparison to DP's EMI remasters. Bass is maybe better on Hoffman's remasters, the sound has depth and space.

Burn - on this track did Rick Wakeman take Jon's place?

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Boy, I've got to jump in and offer some kudos to WDWTWA. That was the first Purple record I bought, so it has a special place in my heart. Love Mary Long, Woman from Tokyo, Our Lady, ..shoot! i love the whole thing! You don't get a lot of Blackmore soloing, but the songs are great and I think it's one of Gillan's finest moments!
    It is the album where Jon Lord shows his best. Blackmore did a good job on Super Trooper though - cool short solo similar to Jeff Beck's style..Pity they cut the album too short, only 34 minutes, as I recall. They could make it a bit longer, with more room for improvisations, at least extend the album to 40 minutes. All songs are great. I remember I have heard this one before Machine Head, because at that moment WDWTWA was their latest release. Believe it or not, I didn't liked MH at first listen - the only song that impressed me was Maybe I'm A Leo) But In Rock and Who Do We Think I absolutely adored. I was 15 back then))

I'd wait til it shows up at amazon uk. Invariably (so far, with the Joni, Chicago and ZZ Top boxes) they have all been cheaper than from US or Canada....and that includes shipping to Canada.

I don't have much so I may bite. But for the guy asking why? Here's one answer: space. I had 7 out of the 10 Joni Mitchell records in her studio box, got it from amazon uk for just over $40 (including shipping; that, compared to $44.99 at amazon.com, where I'd have had to pay $7.00 shipping plus they add duty/tax, or amazon.ca, where it is a ridiculous $67.97 (free tax, but add another 13% tax). I sold my 7 original cds at $5 a pop, so I ended up getting the box for $10 with three albums I did not have, and the box takes up roughly a quarter of the space. For someone living in a 2-bedroom condo, that's tremendous value, beyond the $$.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I'd wait til it shows up at amazon uk. Invariably (so far, with the Joni, Chicago and ZZ Top boxes) they have all been cheaper than from US or Canada....and that includes shipping to Canada.

I don't have much so I may bite. But for the guy asking why? Here's one answer: space. I had 7 out of the 10 Joni Mitchell records in her studio box, got it from amazon uk for just over $40 (including shipping; that, compared to $44.99 at amazon.com, where I'd have had to pay $7.00 shipping plus they add duty/tax, or amazon.ca, where it is a ridiculous $67.97 (free tax, but add another 13% tax). I sold my 7 original cds at $5 a pop, so I ended up getting the box for $10 with three albums I did not have, and the box takes up roughly a quarter of the space. For someone living in a 2-bedroom condo, that's tremendous value, beyond the $$.
    This, I agree with.

Banned
    Does anyone have any addition info on this box? Tried to find some on the DP website. Btw, Amazon says October 15th is the release for the boxset. It's four days before my birthday.

Banned
    Happy early birthday to me!! I got this box set today for myself at Second Spin. I started with In Rock first(Hard Lovin' Man is just gearing up). It sounds like the original masters were used, but possibly re-EQed. Has a nice sound to it; not too loud. Btw, no bonus tracks and Made In Japan is the one disc version. Will report back later. Did anyone else get this box set?
    Last edited by JIF; 10-19-2013 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Happy early birthday to me!! I got this box set today for myself at Second Spin. I started with In Rock first(Hard Lovin' Man is just gearing up). It sounds like the original masters were used, but possibly re-EQed. Has a nice sound to it; not too loud. Btw, no bonus tracks and Made In Japan is the one disc version. Will report back later. Did anyone else get this box set?
    Do none of the discs have bonus tracks or are you referring only to MIJ? I wasn't expecting disc 2 of MIJ, it is kind of a throwaway anyway... But I would like some of the extra tracks on the 25th anniversary remasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Will they be the expanded editions? If so i might be interested !
    I don't believe so, and if you do the disc count, it doesn't add up....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Do none of the discs have bonus tracks or are you referring only to MIJ? I wasn't expecting disc 2 of MIJ, it is kind of a throwaway anyway... But I would like some of the extra tracks on the 25th anniversary remasters.
    No bonus tracks on any of the discs.