Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is Rock And Roll Dead?

Re. speeding songs up on radio- there's a station here in town which clearly speeds every song up by at least a couple percent. I imagine few people notice but I do an it drives me nuts. I suppose over time they can play more songs and have more room for ads. I've also noticed weird remixes of older songs- stuff like Summer Breeze by Seals and Croft with a drum loop mixed behind it. Ah- like this:

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Re. speeding songs up on radio- there's a station here in town which clearly speeds every song up by at least a couple percent. I imagine few people notice but I do an it drives me nuts. I suppose over time they can play more songs and have more room for ads. I've also noticed weird remixes of older songs- stuff like Summer Breeze by Seals and Croft with a drum loop mixed behind it.
    Its possible that a digital format recorded at 44.1 khz is played back at the 48khz setting. Ive witnessed this happen to DAT Machines that have a Manual select filter back in the 90s (From what I understand, this is also what happened in the famous viral Van Halen video of "Jump" where the track was pitched higher than the band by a whole step or more)....as far as the remix thing: Yeah, thats very popular. To me, its just a testament to the new computer loop/sample-based generation

Yeah, I've noticed songs being played faster in recent years. It's certainly not about fitting more songs; it's clearly about fitting more ads. They typically don't give two shits about the actual music.

Speeding up songs, playing only calcified "classic" rock, too many ads - this is why when I am in the car or in another city, the radio is set on an NPR station. I'll either get some enlightening conversation or music played by a DJ that does their own programming and is still passionate about the music.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yeah, I've noticed songs being played faster in recent years. It's certainly not about fitting more songs; it's clearly about fitting more ads. They typically don't give two shits about the actual music.
    Same thing is done on some TV shows. At least on MeTV. Adam-12's intro is sped up as well as some scenes where there isn't talking. You can tell the speed has been messed with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Speeding up songs, playing only calcified "classic" rock, too many ads - this is why when I am in the car or in another city, the radio is set on an NPR station. I'll either get some enlightening conversation or music played by a DJ that does their own programming and is still passionate about the music.
    Amen, brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Same thing is done on some TV shows. At least on MeTV. Adam-12's intro is sped up as well as some scenes where there isn't talking. You can tell the speed has been messed with.
    That's odd. MeTV has hardly any ad placement. It's not like companies are running over each other to get ad slots.

Adam-12's intro is sped up as well as some scenes where there isn't talking. You can tell the speed has been messed with.

Instead, just watch Adam-6 twice......

I’ve noticed they did that with the opening credits to Rhoda as well, at least the long Season 1 version with the spoken intro. It’s really kind of jarring.

Adam 12. Ever since seeing Valley of the Dolls, I can’t look at Martin Millner and not think of him having big, bitchy domestic squabbles with Patty Duke overflowing with terribly-written dialogue.

• You sure are spending a lot of time with that fag!
    • Ted Casablanca is NOT a fag! And I’m just the dame who can prove it!

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“Lonely Violin Crying for Peace”-Zingale/Peace

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That's odd. MeTV has hardly any ad placement. It's not like companies are running over each other to get ad slots.
    Yeah, it is odd. I did cross-reference it with a dvd I have of an episode. Sometimes the talking in an episode is sped up; they sound like Sgt. Friday when they do this. Especially noticeable in the episode with Lindsay Wagner & Ed Begley, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Instead, just watch Adam-6 twice......
    I watch it in reverse.

Popular rock is dead. Rock music is going through a sleeping phase right now, but it will be back. It never left the live stage, just the charts and radio. I go to rock shows all the time, and people still get worked up over a drumbeat, loud guitars and a singer belting it out without the aid of tracks or autotune. Just give it time.

Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    Popular rock is dead. Rock music is going through a sleeping phase right now, but it will be back. It never left the live stage, just the charts and radio. I go to rock shows all the time, and people still get worked up over a drumbeat, loud guitars and a singer belting it out without the aid of tracks or autotune. Just give it time.

Im one of those that prefers pop over rock and you are right: Mainstream Rock is dormant at the moment. This is exactly how I felt about Mainstream Pop in the 90s. It will flip-flop again or - who knows? - may both find a common thread and survive simultaneously (like the 80s)