Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Enchant, Are They Done?

Cool, some Enchant stuff on PE. Enchant is my favorite band, period. Almost every Enchant song has a certain hook or catch to it and that trait has almost become a requirement with my musical tastes nowadays. Good catchy melodies..... Check .... Great singer... Check ... Guitarist with a great tone and solos that you feel instead of a fretboard egotrip... Check... Somewhat adventuresome songs but still grounded with pop sensibilities... Check. Maybe I'm just not a true 'prog' fan anymore in my midlife. Considering I'd rather listen to good yacht rock over most of old Yes... ahh..... perhaps I'm a bit atypical here. I am a bit biased when it comes to Enchant, b/c they are pretty much the most down to earth dudes you'd ever meet.

I've read this thread for the first time.... Don't think there was any great tension between Ted and Doug. Maybe Ted wanted a few more of his tunes on the last two discs, but there wasn't anything of a rift. They've just had a lot stuff going on in their personal lives, so Enchant has taken a backseat (unfortunately).

Don't understand the cheesy lyrics comment. If you truly read their lyrics, they are very relatable to most commonfolk. Come on in the 'prog' canon it doesn't fall into the fairytale, nerdy camp that a lot of prog bands spew. Sure a line here and there is a bit cringy, but its definitely not Def Leppard Whiz.

Yup just like a few of you... Can't wait until the next one. Hopefully it'll come sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Don't understand the cheesy lyrics comment.
    I'm totally not a lyric guy, yet Enchant are one of the few bands I really pay attention to the words. I've said it before on PE, when I listen to "What To Say", I'm nearly in tears by the end every time. Can't spin that one too often becuase of it.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    I've said it before on PE, when I listen to "What To Say", I'm nearly in tears by the end every time. Can't spin that one too often becuase of it.
    Could not agree more. A song they didn't do too often live because the subject matter is very emotional. Was surprised to see it on the live DVD.

As far as cheesy lyrics go, Enchant is far from the worst offenders. I think they can be hit or miss though. I think some of the lyrics on Blueprint are a little dicey, The Thirst for example. But from the same album, At Death's Door is pretty damn good lyrically. I have never thought of their lyrics as cheesy, for me they have always been a little on the depressing side.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    I'm totally not a lyric guy, yet Enchant are one of the few bands I really pay attention to the words. I've said it before on PE, when I listen to "What To Say", I'm nearly in tears by the end every time. Can't spin that one too often becuase of it.
    "What To Say" has to be the quintessential Enchant song.Beautiful lyrics, Wonderful composing,and sensationally sung by Ted Leonard.For me it's tears of joy when I hear the song. Let's hope they record something new soon.Missed `em!

I am also an Enchant junkie.

Also, when I brought my son and his friend to Nearfest, the members of Enchant could not have been better to them when they went to get their autographs. Just based on the way they treated the two boys (15 at the time) earned my permanent fandom.