Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Like Air Supply?

Banned

Does Anyone Like Air Supply?

Don't laugh. I know a lot of people say these guys suck, but they sure do good pop music. Very dramatic and orchestral, with theatrical vocals. My favorite Air Supply song is Making Love Out Of Nothing At All, because it was written by Jim Steinman. I bought the Ultimate Air Supply hits collection at Barnes & Noble the other day, only to add Making Love to my ipod. I listened to the whole CD and liked every song, except Lost In Love. Apparently, Billy Sherwood played on one of their albums. What do you all think of them?

I liked Sweet Dreams a lot. I always thought that was a good song. It has a long, dramatic intro, kinda like ELO did on a few songs (think Tightrope, for instance). It was sort of their version of a power ballad, I guess.

Most of the other stuff I remember from them, though, is really tacky ballads. There's two different songs, one is called Here I Am, the other called The One That You Love (I guess they figured it worked for Chuck Berry, so they should try it, huh?). Anyway, that's more what I think was typical of what Air Supply. I mean, you look up "soft rock" in a dictionary, and these guys are pictured.

Not sure what to make of Making Love Out Of Nothing At All, it's another example of Steinman squeezing an entire soap opera into a five minute song. He seems to do a lot of that. I can't make up my mind if I actually like that approach or not.

(I do think it's also curious that Steinman seems to be able to generate hits, regardless of who records his songs, but Meat Loaf could only score a hit if it was written by Steinman).

On another note, I remember seeing a concert on, I think, HBO, way back when. They had a really interesting intro. They had this backdrop that looked like a mountainside. At the start of the show, the entire stage is empty, but this really dramatic play on music kicks, all these lasers start up, and then the backdrop rotates around, to reveal the band and their entire stage setup on the reverse side. Always thought that looked pretty cool.

weren’t they leading the way on one of these “whitest band ever” lists somewhere?

While I have a deep appreciation for pop ballads, I can't say that I have ever in my lifetime thought to myself "Gee, I really want to listen to Air Supply today" ....Honestly, their music is OK and the production is usually very good but this is offset by the (commercial 70s) cookie-cutter formulaic approach to the songwriting itself

What do you all think of them?
    I think they're awful. Even worse than Bread. They make me wanna rip my ears off.

All Out of Love induces vomiting.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Now, Bread do have quite a few heavier rock tracks on their albums
    I do remember Bread having a couple of rock hits in the early 70s. "Guitar Man" (I think that was the song) was a big hit and had some great lead guitar playing on it. But then they had one sappy hit after another. What was that hit they had that was so popular that went: Baby I'm a want you, baby I'm a need you..... Gah!

I was just thinking about these guys the other day. When I was forming my musical tastes around age 7-8, Air Supply was huge, so I went along with it for a while in my youthful way since I was pretty much limited to the radio.

Now? I laugh about it.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Nothing wrong with Air Supply. They are good music for the older generation. I have been DJ at a few retirement events, anniversaries, and birthday parties and Air Supply is often requested.

I grew up listening to this music. Nothing wrong with it, everything has its audience and, most importantly, the ladies like them. Got laid a lot of times using their songs (it still works, you know ) I saw them two years ago at Epcot Center in Orlando, FL and they rock those ballads hard on a live setting. I don't mind their music showing up on shuffle mode on occasion.

My wife, who's generally a big fan of soft rock, said of Air Supply "I wish someone would cut off their's". I knew a doctor that used to quip, "I love Air Supply, we use their music all the time to induce vomiting."
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I remember they were popular when I was a kid. Pleasant melodies, relaxing music. I'm not offended by it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to it, either.

Banned
    No, people keep confusing Ambrosia with Air Supply

I had a Best of Air Supply record in high school. Pretty good for what it was. A lot of other soft rock from that era has aged a lot better, though. I have upgraded my Christopher Cross, Lionel Richie, and Little River Band records to CD and play those when the occasional mood hits for the 80s soft-rock thing. But haven't had the urge to include any Air Supply.

I saw these guys at our local county fair. I have to say, their band was great. These guys can sing too. Their music isn't my thing, but they are a class act. While they were on stage playing, a mother, daughter and grand daughter positioned themselves for a picture with the band in the background. Unknown to the family, the lead singer saw what was going on and jumped off the stage to get into the picture! Made it into the photo and never missed a beat!

Made me a big fan of them, if not their music.

SIGH....

Raises hand.

Yes, I have all of their recordings through about 2000, and I've seen them live three times. Always a solid, professional show with very tight musicianship. No, they don't play anything really complicated, but the vocals were always spot-on (Russell Hitchcock, their lead singer, had an incredible range), and they usually had some sort of way to spotlight the guys in the band. Great melodies, great songs.

I can see where others would completely abhor them, but they were probably my first favorite band.

I'll turn over my PE membership to Sean.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

During my days of selling albums, I remember one lp by Air Supply had the word Love in all but one or two of the song titles. The product moved. Not for my ears.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    SIGH....

Raises hand.

Yes, I have all of their recordings through about 2000, and I've seen them live three times. Always a solid, professional show with very tight musicianship. No, they don't play anything really complicated, but the vocals were always spot-on (Russell Hitchcock, their lead singer, had an incredible range), and they usually had some sort of way to spotlight the guys in the band. Great melodies, great songs.

I can see where others would completely abhor them, but they were probably my first favorite band.

I'll turn over my PE membership to Sean.
    Thanks for making me not feel like a loner, Scott. No!! Don't turn in your PE card. I would miss your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonap View Post
    I saw these guys at our local county fair. I have to say, their band was great. These guys can sing too. Their music isn't my thing, but they are a class act. While they were on stage playing, a mother, daughter and grand daughter positioned themselves for a picture with the band in the background. Unknown to the family, the lead singer saw what was going on and jumped off the stage to get into the picture! Made it into the photo and never missed a beat!

Made me a big fan of them, if not their music.
    This. I'm not a fan and have no real desire to ever hear them again but they're talented guys and there's no need to rip on them or people that like them. In terms of light fluffy Aussie bands though I'll take Little River Band

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    This. I'm not a fan and have no real desire to ever hear them again but they're talented guys and there's no need to rip on them or people that like them. In terms of light fluffy Aussie bands though I'll take Little River Band
    How come you're not a fan of AS, but like LRB? To me, they sound the same.

I like LRB's song writing better, and they had 5 part harmony with multiple lead singers. And I'm not a big fan of the Air Supply guy's voice (forget his name!)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I like LRB's song writing better, and they had 5 part harmony with multiple lead singers. And I'm not a big fan of the Air Supply guy's voice (forget his name!)
    There are two singers in Air Supply.

I grew up in the 80s and Air Supply was always the butt of jokes, like Justin Beiber today.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    There are two singers in Air Supply.
    Yeah, but Russel Hitchcock (I looked him up) sang all the hits and was the de facto voice of Air Supply as far as most people would be concerned. And I don't care for his voice as much.

Interesting little fact - Hitchcock is a tattoo fanatic - I know, crazy, right? His whole upper torso is covered in them, including both arms. In most of their promo photos the last so many years he only appears in long sleeves.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally