Thread: Check out these brainiacs..

Check out these brainiacs..

"She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Yeah, that's a completely disgusting story.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

What do you do with these guys? Bored? When I was that age, play baseball, football, ride bikes. No money for these, go fishing, play basketball, stickball or handball. Not into sports? Play cards, read a book, watch TV, catch a movie, get a part time job, volunteer. The list is endless. Shoot someone wasn't on the list. End result, they are going to jail and a man is dead. Tax payers foot the bill. Society loses.

BTW, where is Al Sharpton? By not condemning the murder the way he would if a black guy got killed by a bunch of bored , non black guys, he again shows he is a racist and part of the problem and not the solution. With the following that he has, he should step up instead of hiding. Try earning the respect of the nation not dividing it more.

I lived in Australia when the Columbine attacks occurred, and their opinion of the US is that we are all a bunch of gun toting idiots ready to kill at any moment. Unfortunately much off the world has the same opinion and at times it's not far off base.

And how the hell did they get a gun?

Sorry, this is disturbing and disgusting. rant off

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    BTW, where is Al Sharpton? By not condemning the murder the way he would if a black guy got killed by a bunch of bored , non black guys, he again shows he is a racist and part of the problem and not the solution. With the following that he has, he should step up instead of hiding. Try earning the respect of the nation not dividing it more.

I lived in Australia when the Columbine attacks occurred, and their opinion of the US is that we are all a bunch of gun toting idiots ready to kill at any moment. Unfortunately much off the world has the same opinion and at times it's not far off base.

I think we can all acknowledge that this was a senseless murder without turning it into some sociopolitical rant. Shit happens everywhere, even in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    I think we can all acknowledge that this was a senseless murder without turning it into some sociopolitical rant. Shit happens everywhere, even in Australia.
    Shit does happen everywhere, including Australia. The point about Australia was about the way these sort of things are thought of in other countries. No, I'm not renouncing my citizenship, I like it here. It could be better that's all. Some of the powers that be are part of the problem.

Banned
    Shit does happen everywhere, including Australia. The point about Australia was about the way these sort of things are thought of in other countries. No, I'm not renouncing my citizenship, I like it here. It could be better that's all. Some of the powers that be are part of the problem.
    If it was a "local" instead of a promising Australian college student, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion. And the fact of the matter is that it would have been anyone, regardless. As sad and unnecessary as it was, it's still an isolated incident. Maybe we should be talking about how a black schoolteacher literally talked a mentally disturbed white gunman out of harming a single soul at a school in Georgia yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    If it was a "local" instead of a promising Australian college student, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion. And the fact of the matter is that it would have been anyone, regardless. As sad and unnecessary as it was, it's still an isolated incident. Maybe we should be talking about how a black schoolteacher literally talked a mentally disturbed white gunman out of harming a single soul at a school in Georgia yesterday.
    I know there are 300+ million people in the USA, and some people have problems. I'm not sure that if he wasn't an Aussie that we shouldn't have heard about it. You're probably correct that we wouldn't have heard it if it was an average American. My previous post was not that they were black or white, rich or poor, it was how does one get to "let's kill someone because I'm bored". IMO Mr. Sharpton could do much more good if he came out regardless of which race was wronged. Otherwise he can fan the flames he should be trying to put out.

That schoolteacher was amazing. Incredible how she kept her emotions in check and kept the situation under control. I heard the audio and the way she spoke to the gunman and the 911 operator should be in training classes. If there is someone who should be all over the news, it should be that schoolteacher.

This has had a lot of publicity here in Oz, not surprisingly, but it's quite wrong to say that it has focussed on US gun laws. We have nihilistic trash like these killers here as well, and aren't silly enough to think of it as a US phenomenon.
    I lived in Australia when the Columbine attacks occurred, and their opinion of the US is that we are all a bunch of gun toting idiots ready to kill at any moment.
    That's actually not our opinion. While it's true that gun control is a non-issue here and many of us (myself included) can't get our heads around the US situation, Australians like Americans and see the US as a safe, friendly place to visit.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    This has had a lot of publicity here in Oz, not surprisingly, but it's quite wrong to say that it has focussed on US gun laws. We have nihilistic trash like these killers here as well, and aren't silly enough to think of it as a US phenomenon. That's actually not our opinion. While it's true that gun control is a non-issue here and many of us (myself included) can't get our heads around the US situation, Australians like Americans and see the US as a safe, friendly place to visit.
    I never questioned the relationship between Australians and Americans, which I know is strong. I met many Australians who wanted to go visit the USA. And visa versa. Its a beautiful country with wonderful people. There were many though who were rightly upset when the Columbine attack occurred. I was asked often about what it was like to live in such a dangerous place. There were many articles written about the safety in the US at that time. Time heals and cooler heads prevail.

With the current shooting in OK, Australia’s former deputy prime minister Tim Fischer said people should think twice and take into account the risks involved in travelling to the US. This was the type of reaction I observed often back in 1999.

That schoolteacher was amazing. Incredible how she kept her emotions in check and kept the situation under control. I heard the audio and the way she spoke to the gunman and the 911 operator should be in training classes. If there is someone who should be all over the news, it should be that schoolteacher.
    As a local Atlantan, I can tell you that this School Bookkeeper (not a teacher as was stated above) is getting the proper praises she deserves. It's ALL over the news locally. She is a hero for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    As a local Atlantan, I can tell you that this School Bookkeeper (not a teacher as was stated above) is getting the proper praises she deserves. It's ALL over the news locally. She is a hero for sure.
    She is definitely a hero. Thanks for the correction.

With the current shooting in OK, Australia’s former deputy prime minister Tim Fischer said people should think twice and take into account the risks involved in travelling to the US. This was the type of reaction I observed often back in 1999.
    Not to devalue your observations, but the context of Fisher's comments at the time were complex and entirely domestic. He was leader of the rural-based National Party and had been central to the introduction of very restrictive gun-control here following a shooting horror at Port Arthur in 1995. For that he faced a huge back-lash from his own constituents - farmers mainly, who argued not unreasonably that they needed easier access to firearms to control vermin etc on their land.

Columbine made a useful distraction - a means of suggesting the 1996 gun laws in Australia were justified and appropriate: 'See? We were right after all!' It was more about Australia than the US.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    As a local Atlantan, I can tell you that this School Bookkeeper (not a teacher as was stated above)
    That was my bad, but it's really beside the point whether she's a bookkeeper, teacher, principal or a janitor. She did an incredibly brave and selfless thing with concern for everyone involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Not to devalue your observations, but the context of Fisher's comments at the time were complex and entirely domestic. He was leader of the rural-based National Party and had been central to the introduction of very restrictive gun-control here following a shooting horror at Port Arthur in 1995. For that he faced a huge back-lash from his own constituents - farmers mainly, who argued not unreasonably that they needed easier access to firearms to control vermin etc on their land.

Columbine made a useful distraction - a means of suggesting the 1996 gun laws in Australia were justified and appropriate: 'See? We were right after all!' It was more about Australia than the US.
    Thanks for the deeper insight into what was happening at the time.

At least those braniacs weren't "Florida Man" for a change. Not making light of this horrible tragedy at all. Usually these types of stories involve "Florida Man" (which is what I was expecting).

Shit happens everywhere, even in Australia.
    QFT. Again not making a sport of this horrible event but it seems that when "shit" happens in the US it's heard about instantly, in ever corner of the globe. It's like all you hear about Mexico is massacres by drug cartels. Personally, I have no interest in visiting Mexico as it is, but if I had to go for whatever reason I'd probably not take a step anywhere unless I'm with a trusted person who knows the place real well. I have Mexican friends who tell me it's safe. They say the media is making it sound like the whole country is in a state of anarchy, but it's not true.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    What do you do with these guys? Bored? When I was that age, play baseball, football, ride bikes. No money for these, go fishing, play basketball, stickball or handball. Not into sports? Play cards, read a book, watch TV, catch a movie, get a part time job, volunteer. The list is endless. Shoot someone wasn't on the list. End result, they are going to jail and a man is dead. Tax payers foot the bill. Society loses.

Sorry, this is disturbing and disgusting. rant off
    the hypocrisy of Al Sharpton is he is all crying about racism and "based on what people look like", but he is responsible for murders of jews in NYC by churning up anti-semitic hatred. In fact, one of the "jews" killed was actually an italian who "looked like a jew". i do not consider it racist or political to call this guy a bigot and for the record, i find his presence at the 50th anniversary of MLK's speech utter repulsive.

i also think the depiction of America as full of a bunch of ted nugent clones is silly. a vast majority are rational, normal people who go about their business and do not find it entertaining to shoot people, animals, signs, buildings, etc out of sheer boredom. what these kids did is disgusting whether they shot him or beat him to death with a baseball bat (as in the case of the WW2 veteran). The senseless killing of a person is something that should be condemned, whether they used a gun or not.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

The original story is almost parallel to what happened here in Cincinnati earlier this year.

4 black teens jumped a prog aged white man walking home from the store with his beer. They jumped him and beat him into a pulp.
    (possibly even a coma...I'm not positive) All 4 were caught and arrested. They claimed they did it because they were 'bored'.
    One of the teens was given the unbelievably harsh sentence of having to write a book report and do some community service.

Oh, and the victim in the attack died a couple months ago. They couldn't prove the death was a direct result from the excessive
    beating he took. (due to some medical history)