Thread: MGMT

MGMT

Any admirers here? My opinion- "Electric Feel" is destined to be a classic. Love this track.

i still like their debut. never heard anything beyond this. lots of uncanny ELO influx!

Like their last one a lot! Looking forward to hearing the new one.

They are playing at the Bumbershoot festival next weekend but I can't afford it (still need a job)

Love love love MGMT! Their first was the one that drew in everyone's attention with the awesome hits Electric Feel, Kids and Time To Pretend. Love those tracks! 2008 was a great year for pop music, and these tracks were part of the reason. "Of Moons, Birds & Monsters" is my favorite off that album.. very proggy! They then released an amazing single on mp3 and LP only called "Metanoia." That is their finest proggy track in my opinion, check it out! Then came their second album, my favorite - Congratulations: with the epic track "Siberian Breaks." Huge huge fan! They have many prog elements, and for a modern indie band that's very exciting because the kids all love it. If the kids love it, that's more recognition to the greatest music treasure of all - prog rock! MGMT is helping to keep it alive if you ask me. Can't wait for their new album in September!

Banned
    I did enjoy the Lucifer Sam cover that they did on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon during Pink Floyd week. Btw, I thought that MGMT was Psychedelic Rock and Electronica(not prog)?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I thought that MGMT was Psychedelic Rock and Electronica(not prog)?
    I'd agree with that.

I love their second album, "Congratulations". Certainly has that Syd psych feel to it, imo. The 12- minute song is a series of shorter songs stitched together, more akin to A Quick One than Close to the Edge (in structure not sound).

They were just on Letterman a couple of nights ago too. I have it DVR'd, but haven't watched it yet.