Thread: Ginger Baker Documentary on Showtime Showcase Thursday 8/22/2013 @ 4:30pm

Ginger Baker Documentary on Showtime Showcase Thursday 8/22/2013 @ 4:30pm

"Beware of Mr. Baker" was on last night, I happened on it part way in, it's on again Thursday afternoon so I'm recording the whole thing.

Here's a link:

http://www.sho.com/sho/reality-docs/...r-baker#/index

Thanks! Just set up my recording.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Ginger Baker was my first musical hero, when I heard him as an 8 year old in early 1968. I begged my parents to get me a drum kit but they didn't want to put up with the noise, so they got me an acoustic guitar instead.

I haven't followed Mr. Baker's career since the Ginger Baker's Air Force days, but he seems like a really nasty piece of work. Jack Bruce would agree, how many fights did they have when they were together in Cream?

Thanks for the link.
    ...or you could love

I'm watching it right now. Wow.

I saw it just recently. He is in many ways as awful a human being as he was a great drummer. His treatment of his son makes even John Lennon look like a parental paragon.

Fascinating film though, highly recommended.

I have not seen this but I know what to expect given what I saw on that (excellent) Cream 'Classic Artists' DVD. That one is unintentionally hilarious, with Baker relentlessly clinging onto 40 year old grievances against Jack Bruce and throwing out the insults at everybody- producers, managers, promotion men etc. There have been other infamous interviews of late I've seen online- Classic Rock, Word Magazine, The Guardian recently...

I read recently (in the "Things We Like" liner notes) where Baker recommended Jack Bruce reluctantly for the job in Cream. Seems they'd had a falling out while in the Graham Bond Organisation and Baker had hoped to never have to work with him again. Unfortunately when Clapton required a bass player for his new band Bruce was the best man for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    "During the time Bruce and Baker played with the Graham Bond Organisation, they were known for their hostility towards each other. There were numerous stories of the two sabotaging each other's equipment and fighting on stage. Hostility grew so much between the two that Bruce was forced to leave the group in August 1965.[6]"
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 08-19-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Clapton definitely didn't want him in what was to become Blind Faith, but Baker just muscled his way in, that's my understanding.

I love the Blind Faith album, I think it's got some great songs on it (Had To Cry Today, Can't Find My Way Home, Do What You Like). I used to listen to it headphones and the last few minutes of Do What You Like always creeped me out, it was so spooky with those voices going from L to R and the weird sounds from the keyboards and guitar. My sisters saw Blind Faith but they don't remember much of it.
    ...or you could love