Thread: Andy Latimer-esque guitar..

Andy Latimer-esque guitar..

As you might know I'm a great follower of Camel and Andy Latimer. I will attend plenty of their shows in october/november. I'm curious, is there any band/guitarist out there that has a Andy Latimer-esque guitarplaying.., similar style, tone..etc.. Hope I see you at some of the shows! A new Camel album is in the works too

Odyssice

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ontent&id=1129

The review starts:
    Bastiaan Peeters of Odyssice must be sick of people telling him that he sounds just like Andy Latimer. But listen to this guitar-dominant symphonic instrumental music and you'll understand why so much literature describes his music that way. You won't confuse the two if you're intimately familiar with Camel's music, but you'll understand the comparison...
    And you can trust that reviewer!
    Regards,

Duncan

Ha, Duncan beat me to it! I was listening to Odyssice - Impressions tonight, so when I saw this thread, I was already to jump in and recommend the band.

You might like Rousseau. They sound like Camel mixed with Genesis. Start with their first two: Flower in Asphalt and Retreat. Despite the French name, they are from Germany.

Omni, from Spain, with the exception of ex-pat American Mike Starry on guitar. Starry's fascination with Latimer's playing is very evident throughout the entire album.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

How about Andy himself guesting on David Minasian's excellent symph prog album, "Random Acts of Beauty".

Ummmmm...David Gilmour

Steve Rothery of Marillion has often been compared to Mr. Latimer.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Latimar-Rothery-Gilmour - distant cousins?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    How about Andy himself guesting on David Minasian's excellent symph prog album, "Random Acts of Beauty".
    Oh, beat me to it. But also David's brother is very good, playing on the rest of the album.

Bastiaan Peeters was the first that came to my mind as well:-)

What about Sebastian Hardie? Mario Millo's is a mixture of Jan Akkerman's and Latimer's playing in my ears. Could be only my ears, though.;-)

TEE (the Earth Explorer)

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Oh, beat me to it. But also David's brother is very good, playing on the rest of the album.
    IIRC, that's his son rather than his brother, Bill.

Remember...I'm old and could be wrong.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

This thread is useless without camples!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

You're right! It is his son.

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    As you might know I'm a great follower of Camel and Andy Latimer. I will attend plenty of their shows in october/november. I'm curious, is there any band/guitarist out there that has a Andy Latimer-esque guitarplaying.., similar style, tone..etc.. Hope I see you at some of the shows! A new Camel album is in the works too
    I'd just listen to Andy personally. Are you going to any UK shows? I might, all being fairly well.

Joop Nimwegen of Finch is worth adding to the list, though I guess you could say he sounds as much like Jan Akkerman as AL.

Then there are sources Latimer sprung from himself: Carlos Santana and Jeff Beck.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

Oh, I'm sorry, I think you are right Steve. We're all growing old at rapid rates, and I forget some of our kids are already fine musicians and singers.

And yes, Mario Millo is a great one. I would recommend his album 'Oceans of the Mind', and the newest Sebastian Hardie album, 'Blueprint'.