Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baseball: A-Rod Derangement syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Tangram pretty much nails it.
    Thanks, I agree
    Last edited by Tangram; 08-21-2013 at 11:08 PM.

ARod gets smart and tells his lawyer to shut up. If MLB and the Yanks can do the same thing, then we can get back to baseball. People can talk about how the Pirates and KC have arisen from the dead after all these years. Atlanta is kicking ass. Boston and the Dodgers have both benefitted from last years mega trade. Miggy! The Angels are paying how much to suck so bad. I can hear Texas and St. Louis laughing from here. And in case nobody is paying attention, the Yankees are starting to make a run.

Welcome Back Baseball!

The first problem with many Yankee fans is they think they are the best team even when they suck. They slam other teams, and are plain nasty. Maybe it's a NY state of mind, because Mets fans are pretty nasty toward visiting teams as well.
    I've heard numerous players from other teams affirm this, that New Yorkers fail to understand the spirit of the game.
    The movie For The Love of the Game illustrated this well. When Billy Chapel finishes his perfect game, only one fan is shown cheering the accomplishment.
    A-Rod would have been a very good player without cheating. There is no doubt in my mind that would be the case. Because he cheated, we will never know HOW GOOD he would have been. He has become extremely arrogant, acting as if baseball could not survive without him. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    He is a major blight on the game today. He didn't stop cheating when he knew he was being tested. He shows no remorse for taking an unfair advantage over his teammates and his fellow players.
    True baseball fans, the ones who appreciate a game-saving catch by an opposing player, are robbed of seeing what Alex Rodriguez would have done without cheating. His performance, both past and present, is tainted by the knowledge that he could not live with doing his best under the rules. In fact, we probably won't ever know when he started cheating, although many serious fans could make some very well-educated guesses.
    The bottom line is that he has tainted the game. He has shamed his teammates and the real fans who supported him. He has brought back a mistrust that will make many fans wonder if a home run was legitimate or cheapened by chemicals that ultimately will shorten that player's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    The first problem with many Yankee fans is they think they are the best team even when they suck. They slam other teams, and are plain nasty. Maybe it's a NY state of mind, because Mets fans are pretty nasty toward visiting teams as well.
    Hey, as a Yankee fan I take offense to that. And another thing, well you're right for many of the fans. They can be nasty but they are knowledgeable about the game. Its not just NY, if you don't believe me, try Boston and Philadelphia.

The problem with some of this is many fans make it out to be that Lightning Rod has ruined the game. In 2003, 103 players failed the drug test. Those tests did not include HGH. Those tests were not as good as the tests today. It's probably safe to say that many more were doing something illegal. Heck, you can go back to at least the 60's and many more players were taking greenies. I'm not saying ARod shouldn't be punished, but he didn't ruin the game singlehandedly and his punishment should be in line with the current rules. Over the past couple of years, players got away with apologies, (see Andy Pettitte and Jason Giambi) and most of the players who have been suspended have been minor leaguers. The owners didn't want any of this, they were very happy with manufactured muscle men knocking homer after homer. It was only after the press turned it into a big deal, not because they were angels, but because these stories sell papers. Toss in the supposed rightgeous Congress and fans and you have today's full blown scandal. If the owners took steps early on instead of just worrying about their immediate bottom line, MLB wouldn't be in this mess.

You realize that MLB is going after A-Rod because of more than just PED abuse, right?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    You realize that MLB is going after A-Rod because of more than just PED abuse, right?
    Yes, and ARod is in hot water and deserves to be punished. If obstruction of justice and tampering with evidence are part of the equation, what baseball does to him may be the least of his problems. The off season will not just be about basketball, hockey, baseball free agents, football and prog music this year.

Jubal was saying that ARod is ruining the game which I don't think is true. He sure isn't helping but the blame is not all his. Baseball had 103 names in 2003. Lets suppose that MLB had no clue before that (wink wink. That is pretty much their stance too). If they wanted to address the problem, they could have upped the penalties like cycling. If they could not immediately because of the CBA, they could have done it the next time. Or gone to the authorities, which overrides the CBA. They chose to suspend mostly minor leaguers until Biogenesis. I know about All the retired or near retired guys the Feds went after to look like they were doing something.

What should have happened IMHO, is the baseball powers that be on both the players and owners sides should have sat in a room with no windows and worked out an agreement in 2004. No leaks to the press and no one leaves until it is done. Then came out and said we saw a problem within our game, and fixed it before it got worse. They gave the players the offseason to get clean. Anyone caught after that gets 2 years, pretty much ending your career. They get kudos all around. Didn't happen because union reps had a contract, plus the owners didn't want to lose star players and have any more publicity. The current contract didnt have much bite. That's why a guy like Melky Cabrera takes his chances and goes from a decent ballplayer to an AllStar, league leader in batting average gets caught but still gets a $16 million contract for 2 years. I don't think that there are too many who wouldn't have taken a shot at the life changing payday that Melky did. Baseball made its bed and its starting to stink.

Being on extended vacation (in NY, not in jail , I'm not able to watch my beloved Rays everyday. But thanks to the Yes network, I'm catching a few games. Here in Tampa bay, every appearance of A-R was met by the boo-birds in full force. It died down in the next game , but I thought it was pretty extreme. Does this happen in other cities too ??

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    Being on extended vacation (in NY, not in jail , I'm not able to watch my beloved Rays everyday. But thanks to the Yes network, I'm catching a few games. Here in Tampa bay, every appearance of A-R was met by the boo-birds in full force. It died down in the next game , but I thought it was pretty extreme. Does this happen in other cities too ??
    It would in Philly, and should in every town he visits, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    Arod has always gotten booed in every city. Seems like most people, apparently, would have turned-down the contracts he was given.

Today, yes, it's more intense, but what can one expect?

The thing with Tamba Bay is that there are a ton of Yankees fans there, too. So, there could have been somewhat of a counter-effect.

I would bet that Bud Selig would get the same amount of booing if given the opportunity. He certainly deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I would bet that Bud Selig would get the same amount of booing if given the opportunity. He certainly deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    The first problem with many Yankee fans is they think they are the best team even when they suck. They slam other teams, and are plain nasty. I've heard numerous players from other teams affirm this, that New Yorkers fail to understand the spirit of the game.
    Oh my Lord what a crock of shit. You pretty much described a portion of every fanbase in the continent. One thing I know for sure is NYers understand the spirit of the game. You mention not appreciating a game saving catch if I'm at that game I'll want to shove a $40 beer/plate of nachos up his ass! But you can bet your ass I'd appreciate it. So would any NY fan that I know. Sure we're rough around the edges (hello Boston, Philly, Baltimore, LA etc.) but there's no denying the passion and loyalty. But most importantly, we "know" the game. Whatever that sport may be.

What a stupid-ass post, Jubal.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Oh my Lord what a crock of shit. You pretty much described a portion of every fanbase in the continent. One thing I know for sure is NYers understand the spirit of the game. You mention not appreciating a game saving catch if I'm at that game I'll want to shove a $40 beer/plate of nachos up his ass! But you can bet your ass I'd appreciate it. So would any NY fan that I know. Sure we're rough around the edges (hello Boston, Philly, Baltimore, LA etc.) but there's no denying the passion and loyalty. But most importantly, we "know" the game. Whatever that sport may be.

What a stupid-ass post, Jubal.
    +10

Banned
    Having lived in that area of the country for many years, I can tell you that NY fans and the sports press, be it for Yanks or Mets, are the most knowledgeable and devoted in all of baseball, rivaled only by Boston. Love 'em or hate 'em, these people bleed the game. Can they be cocky? Sure. I'd be cocky too if my favorite team had 27 rings. Mind you, I HATE the Yankees, but I respect them, and their fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Having lived in that area of the country for many years, I can tell you that NY fans and the sports press, be it for Yanks or Mets, are the most knowledgeable and devoted in all of baseball, rivaled only by Boston. Love 'em or hate 'em, these people bleed the game. Can they be cocky? Sure. I'd be cocky too if my favorite team had 27 rings. Mind you, I HATE the Yankees, but I respect them, and their fans.
    I live just north of Pittsburgh. A colleague of mine, long-time Pittsburgh native and Pirates fan, told me one day that he liked the Yankees, too. Surprised, I ask how that could be. Turns out that on one of his Spring Training trips to Florida, he went to a Yankees home game and loved how knowledgable and into the game the fans were. He's been a fan ever since and watches both teams each Spring.

Banned