Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Keneally NEW CD- You Must Be This Tall

FYI! New CD is out today! www.keneally.com I have heard it and it's an eclectic thrill ride, the likes of which only Mike can conjure up. I find it nearly was varied as Scambot, so if you liked that one get in line for this! Here's a sampler thanks to our groovy new ability to embed SC clips at PE at last!

Last edited by Sean; 08-27-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Kidzapunk!!!

such an excellent record
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    right now we're in the final days of putting together the "Sluggo!" reissue audio and video material
    Yes! Been waiting so long to hear some news about this. Santa Of Anytime Of The Year can bring that whenever he feels like it.

Just curious, what are the fates of Half Alive in Hollywood and Soap Scum Remover?

I just read Mike's comments about the CD on the newly designed website. Can't wait to hear it! I forgot to add Wing Beat Elastic to my order. The samples on amazon sound great. Shit! I'll pick it up eventually.

I see Mike's website has a groovy new look- take a peek! www.keneally.com

I hope Mike doesn't mind me uploading this tune 'cause it's a beauty! I was gonna hold off listening until I got the CD
    but I couldn't resist downloading the album.

So far , Cornbread Crumb is my favorite tune on Mike's latest.

That groove is infectious!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

That's one of the cuts the whole MKB is on. The other is Popes.

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013...ndy-partridge/

EXCELLENT new interview there! Much about the new cd is in it!

It sounds great!! And , I can't resist, with an illegal YouTube post here, I suggest -- At least go listen to the legal stream at Spotify. Sample it there then order it.

AT LEAST Mike will get the tiny amount they pay, as opposed to YouTube who'll pay him NOTHING and allowed his copyright to be uploaded illegally.

*Mike's a good friend, I would never assume to speak for him, this is solely my opinion on this.

I just feel that "Legal/debatable amount of pay" trumps "Illegal/no pay at all"

Having said that -- whatever gets more people to check out the man's music is great!

Andre

Mike Keneally Charter Supporter since January 1988 when I met him.

Mike,did you get the title from Disneyland?

Greetings,

This is a great album that, like a lot of Mike's stuff, takes a while to fully digest (which I consider a very good thing). At this point, I think I can safely say that this is probably my favorite album of his to come out since Wooden Smoke & Wooden Smoke Asleep. Great work, Mike!

Cheers,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Andre C View Post
    It sounds great!! And , I can't resist, with an illegal YouTube post here, I suggest -- At least go listen to the legal stream at Spotify. Sample it there then order it.

AT LEAST Mike will get the tiny amount they pay, as opposed to YouTube who'll pay him NOTHING and allowed his copyright to be uploaded illegally.

*Mike's a good friend, I would never assume to speak for him, this is solely my opinion on this.

I just feel that "Legal/debatable amount of pay" trumps "Illegal/no pay at all"

Having said that -- whatever gets more people to check out the man's music is great!

Andre

Mike Keneally Charter Supporter since January 1988 when I met him.
    I've already ordered a copy of the CD. I didn't upload Mike's music to YouTube, I just posted that one tune above, thinking people here might dig it and buy the record. I don't bother with Spotify. I just buy CDs.

Thanks Reid...not singling you out by any means. But SOMEONE uploaded it, (maybe even Mike's team) and other people illegally upload stuff every day. So my point stands. Mike and his team are fine with Spotify, they have selected stuff up there, so I'm fine with it too.

I just did a huge bunch of listening to Josephine Baker, Tiny Grimes and Shirley Bassey, that couldn't really happen otherwise. It's the future, it's what countless artists are embracing, and I am with them.

Not at ALL trying to sell you on Spotify, but that's my experience with it, and I will keep doing my best to dispel the myths and falsehoods about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I hope Mike doesn't mind me uploading this tune 'cause it's a beauty! I was gonna hold off listening until I got the CD
    but I couldn't resist downloading the album.

Just totally sick! Love it!
    Indie Audio Mastering
    http://www.indieaudiomastering.com

Newly designed Visual Cliff site:
    http://www.visualcliff.net

Cornbread Crumb.... one of the most gloriously beautiful songs i've ever heard. Certainly a favourite on there
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post

Quick question, Mike ... I noticed the photo from the inlay of "Wingbeat" is the same as the one on the cover of the new record. What is your Conceptual Continuity?
    Both albums were worked on simultaneously, and we almost released them simultaneously; at one point or another, most of the songs on You Must Be This Tall were in the running to be included on Wing Beat Fantastic, until we decided that that album would benefit most from stripping it down to the most accessible stuff I had in the works (which was mainly what I'd written with Andy Partridge plus a couple of mine). Everytime I tried to wedge in one or more of the songs that ended up forming You Must Be This Tall, it just capsized everything - so we kept Wing Beat Fantastic down to a lean 40 minutes, and made a second album from the rest of the material. But it seemed appropriate to have an artwork link of some kind between the two. It might have made more sense if we'd released them at once, as we'd originally planned, but I'm really glad now that we didn't. It was good to have another new album to release this year while I'm doing all this Satriani touring, which has kept me out of the studio more than I generally like! Don't get me wrong, I love touring and I'm very grateful, but I get a little nervous when I don't have something brewing in the studio. Fortunately I do have a bunch of Scambot 2 stuff in the works, waiting for me when I get back home in late October.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfeet View Post

Just curious, what are the fates of Half Alive in Hollywood and Soap Scum Remover?

My hope is to release them together in a 2-CD/1-DVD package with additional material from the same era, of which there's a lot - but it will likely be a while yet, as we still have to finish the Sluggo! reissue, and there's The Mistakes still to be expanded and reissued as well. We have a really good live disc that Henry Kaiser edited together from the two Mistakes shows we did when the album came out, with Buckethead guesting. Really interesting moment in time there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Mike,did you get the title from Disneyland?
    Just from theme park rides in general, not Disneyland specifically. I wrote the song of that name seven years ago, at one point it was going to be on Scambot 1 but I ended up holding onto it and I'm really glad I did, it sets the pace for this record really well and I think the title works great for this collection of songs.

Oh and regards the whole You Tube/Spotify thing and all that, my team didn't upload Cornbread Crumb to YouTube, someone else did (I see that they uploaded ALL the songs individually to YouTube - that's just the world we live in now), but I'm not the least bit upset that Reid linked to it - but I appreciate Andre lookin' out for me

And Cornbread Crumb is my favorite song on the album too!

And to everyone on this thread - many, many thanks for all the great things you're saying about the new album - I'm really happy with it and I'm glad you are too! Thank you my friends!

Apparently a MK concert from march 27th is going to be broadcast on Dutch radio (pt 2 is coming tomorrow sunday sept. 8th at 21h) :
    http://t.co/KQ6Dv5AXcO

[about pt 1 :
    http://www.radio6.nl/2013-09-..artet...2/139941.html]

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Both albums were worked on simultaneously, and we almost released them simultaneously; at one point or another, most of the songs on You Must Be This Tall were in the running to be included on Wing Beat Fantastic, until we decided that that album would benefit most from stripping it down to the most accessible stuff I had in the works (which was mainly what I'd written with Andy Partridge plus a couple of mine). Everytime I tried to wedge in one or more of the songs that ended up forming You Must Be This Tall, it just capsized everything - so we kept Wing Beat Fantastic down to a lean 40 minutes, and made a second album from the rest of the material. But it seemed appropriate to have an artwork link of some kind between the two. It might have made more sense if we'd released them at once, as we'd originally planned, but I'm really glad now that we didn't. It was good to have another new album to release this year while I'm doing all this Satriani touring, which has kept me out of the studio more than I generally like! Don't get me wrong, I love touring and I'm very grateful, but I get a little nervous when I don't have something brewing in the studio. Fortunately I do have a bunch of Scambot 2 stuff in the works, waiting for me when I get back home in late October.
    Thanks, Mike. Very fascinating read! I always love it when two albums come from the same project (like "Apostrophe (') and "Over-nite Sensation").

I am a bit behind but a huge Mike supporter. Just added this to my list for my next round of purchases. Getting ready to see Mike on the Satch tour in Philly in 3 weeks and will be ready for a solo tour in Nov/Dec.

Just wanted to give this a bump. Caught the Satriani show last night and had a chance to chat a bit about the CD with Mike. (Always a pleasure to see you!) Mike and the guys turbocharged Satch's set, to say the least! Quite a site to behold! Meanwhile this cd just gets better and better....

Jon Neudorf
    I agree Sean. Have listened to it a couple of times so far, along with "Wing Beat Fantastic". Excellent stuff.

Regards,
    Jon