Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Live ROIOs That Were Better Than the Official Live Release

re: Pink Floyd Oakland Coliseum May 9, 1977 show

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Why is it infamous?

There's been a fan remaster of that recording going around and it's unbelievable.
    Infamous or notorious because it's been so widely bootlegged. That one and the Madison Square Garden show I mention above are two of the more frequently bootlegged Floyd shows. Apart from that, they're both great performances, with great sound quality for audience tapes.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 08-16-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    The Yes Wembley boot from '79 is far superior to Yesshows !
    !
    And this Quebec show is far superior to Wembley! Available again on TTD -

Yes
    Le Colisee' de Quebec
    Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
    April 18, 1979
    'Circus of Heaven'

The performance is as good as the sound quality, which makes for a real treat.

You can't go wrong with this one.

TheTooleMan
    July, 2011

Jon Anderson (Vocals)
    Steve Howe (Guitars)
    Chris Squire (Bass)
    Rick Wakeman (Keyboards)
    Alan White (Drums)

CD 1:
    Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
    Siberian Khatru
    Heart Of The Sunrise
    Future Times/Rejoice
    Circus Of Heaven
    Time And A Word/Long Distance Runaround/Survival/The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus)/Perpetual Change/Soon
    Don't Kill The Whale
    Clap

CD 2:
    Starship Trooper
    On The Silent Wings Of Freedom
    Wakeman Solo
    Awaken
    Tour Song
    I've Seen All Good People
    Roundabout

Review posted on Forgotten Yesterdays:

YES "CIRCUS OF HEAVEN"
    (Dynamite Studios DS94F059/60)

Some of our readers may recall a release from several years ago titled "Rehearsal Tales", a single CD containing a partial show from Quebec, April 18, 1979. Although the track listing had a couple of errors, the music contained on that disc represented the finest quality available of any yes concert on bootleg disc. In fact, it rivaled any official release in range, balance, and performance. The original release was very limited in numbers and it wasn't long before some of the bigger bootleg companies began making their own copies of this disc.

As the story goes, Yes was recording many of their 1979 shows on a mobile multi-track studio for release of an official live set to celebrate the groups ten year anniversary. The project was even announced to the press and then scrapped. Somehow (you know how these things happen!) a stereo mix-down from the quebec show found its way into the hands of a collector who unwittingly traded it to a bootlegger. Of course, as usually happens with bootlegs of outstanding quality, the bootlegger himself was bootlegged (at least 3 different times). All versions of this single disc were worth picking up, as little was lost in the transition from one CD to the next.

That is until now. Dynamite Studio, a Japanese outfit with reasonably good circulation in the US has finally released the complete show, making all the previously available single CD versions obsolete.

This double CD is nearly flawless! I say nearly because there is one minor edit towards the end of "Starship Trooper" which also appeared on the "Rehearsal Tales" disc. This distortion is said to be on the original master tape, and indeed it seems that is probably the case. The highs on this CD don't get any higher. The bottom end will rattle your walls, but, save for the mentioned segment, they will rattle your walls with perfect clarity. This set HAS to rate in the top 10 boots of all time. You can even hear the whale songs that Yes used between songs, for goodness sake. The audience is almost invisible in the mix. The ICE newsletter has occasionally coined the phrase "bootleg hall of fame" in their writings. If I had the opportunity to make my nominations for this mythical establishment, this would rank right up there with Led Zeppelin's "Jennings Farm Blues" and the Who's "From Lifehouse To Leeds" in importance. And it would take a back seat to no one in terms of sound quality.

"Relayer" artwork has been implemented on the front cover with a fabulous photo of the band and their stage set-up during a soundcheck on the back.

Holy Cow, I think we've got a winner!

-Bill Glahn-
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I have that one! "A Great Set" that is. The cover is great and features some really perverse pictures along with the Pink Floyd lampooning. The concert is the infamous Oakland Coliseum gig from 1977. It's kind of annoying because they changed the order of the songs to make the whole thing fit on a three LP set. But I think the 24/96 resolution version from Yeeshkul is the best I've ever heard that show sound; it's amazing for an audience recording.
    805.jpg
    Also from Cali in '77 -
    801.jpg
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    And this Quebec show is far superior to Wembley! Available again on TTD -

Agree this release is stunning.. best by far that I've heard..

I have that PF "California Stockyard" 2LP boot. Great recording although I think the first few minutes of DSOTM are taken from another performance. I'll have to dig this out from the attic & give it a spin to see if my memory is healthy.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

For some reason, I've never been able to get into the Quebec gig much. To me, it's a great sounding boot of a just OK Yes performance. I much prefer the Wembley show myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    For some reason, I've never been able to get into the Quebec gig much. To me, it's a great sounding boot of a just OK Yes performance. I much prefer the Wembley show myself.
    Yep, me too.

Quebec is great as is Wembley, Boston, Chicago and the NYC shows I have. Yes peaked back then.
    "I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about."
    - Peter Griffin ("Family Guy")

The New Haven '71 show is essential. There's a fan remaster of it that, IMO, is worthy of a release.

And, what about that show from which "The Clap" is recorded. Where's that show? I just did a little searching and found the set list:

I didn't realize it was Steve Howe's first show with Yes.

Friday 17 July 1970, Lyceum Theatre, London, UK
    Astral Traveller
    I've Seen All Good People
    Clap
    Yours Is No Disgrace
    Bass Solo
    America

And, get this, here's that day's line-up:

Yes
    Uriah Heep
    Black Sabbath
    Formerly Fat Harry
    Clark Hutchinson

Apparently, there are no copies of this show in circulation. I wonder if the master from which "The Clap" was taken still exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Maybe in AH's opinion, but it was released legitimately on Laserdisc in Japan and on CD by a record company at the behest of Paul Williams. I don't see what Holdsworth has against it, nor do I see why Jobson had Concert Classics IV pulled.
    Wow. I've got the CD (IOU Live), and also didn't realize it was frowned upon by Allan. However, the sound is great. Plus, I've seen some YouTube vids, professionally shot, that must have been from either that same show or another on the same tour. I'd love to get hold of a DVD of that; it was some of my favourite music that he's done.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Wow. I've got the CD (IOU Live), and also didn't realize it was frowned upon by Allan. However, the sound is great. Plus, I've seen some YouTube vids, professionally shot, that must have been from either that same show or another on the same tour. I'd love to get hold of a DVD of that; it was some of my favourite music that he's done.
    It's from the same show. I used to have VHS of it and it was a great concert! Good luck finding a DVD though.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    It's from the same show. I used to have VHS of it and it was a great concert! Good luck finding a DVD though.
    Yeah, I've noticed that. You can't even find a VHS of it, let alone a DVD. Holdsy should release that; it was a good concert!
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Peter Gabriel Berlin '93 (Matrix recording, i.e. a soundboard mixed with an audience recording) is vastly superior to Secret World Live.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=417440

And perhaps I'm wrong, but I had always understood the "I" in "ROIO" to be "independent", as in "recordings of independent origin(s)."

Wikipedia (the ultimate word on everything) says you're wrong.
    For Music Recordings RoIO means "Recording of Indeterminate Origin", kind of a bootleg recording of unknown authorship.

I actually listen to live ROIOs (actually audience recordings that might not have been issued as a silver cd ROIO/bootleg) MUCH MORE than i do to any official live releases (especially for the 1970s classic bands). Some reasons why:

1) Obviously, bands were restricted by LP lengths in the pre-CD days, so songs were often jumbled out of order and edited (as well as the ones that had to be left off) to get them to fit within the constrictions of LP side lengths.

2) The classic prog (and rock) 70s bands had the tendency to pick performances from various shows and make live compilation records instead of one single show, so you never get the consistency that can be found in one individual performance (most of the time anyway).

3) Sound quality is (and should be) a major consideration for an official live release (unless it is an authorized 'live bootleg') so a fantastic performance that might have had poor sound/recording issues/problems usually won't be the one chosen to get released. This isn't an issue with stealth audience recordings!
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    3) Sound quality is (and should be) a major consideration for an official live release (unless it is an authorized 'live bootleg') so a fantastic performance that might have had poor sound/recording issues/problems usually won't be the one chosen to get released. This isn't an issue with stealth audience recordings!
    Or apparently with your listening habits.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Or apparently with your listening habits.
    Well, there are unofficial soundboard tapes around too.
    And some audience recordings are quite good sounding--plus they always provide some crowd *ambiance* (good and bad) missing from pro-recordings.

I didn't know you were in charge of the record companies' sound quality control.
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    I didn't know you were in charge of the record companies' sound quality control.
    I'm not. Just pointing out that you both A) say that sound quality SHOULD BE a major consideration, while at the same time saying B) that "poor sound/recording issues/problems [...] aren't an issue" for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I'm not. Just pointing out that you both A) say that sound quality SHOULD BE a major consideration, while at the same time saying B) that "poor sound/recording issues/problems [...] aren't an issue" for you.
    His point, like the one I made previously is that, PERSONALLY, sound quality is secondary to performance, whereas, FOR OFFICIAL RELEASES, it should be a major consideration.