Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Live album always better or worse....

Yessongs kicks Yesshows ass. Had to get that out of my system.
    Also, ELP's WBMF...destroys Works Live.
    "I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about."
    - Peter Griffin ("Family Guy")

The Dixie Dregs - Bring 'Em Back Alive - better than Night Of The Living Dregs, King Biscuit, California Screamin', etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Great! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HealthyNational View Post
    Yessongs kicks Yesshows ass.
    Agreed. More powerful than any Yes live release including dvds-Keys, Tsongas, Symphony etc. Perhaps the closest to being as or more intense would be the Roosevelt Island King Biscuit broadcast. Many of those Moraz era shows that are available around the web including the Boston show and QPR are pretty amazing. Yesshows should have been released as a full Moraz set or/and a full In-The-Round set.
    I know the label wanted to differentiate the songs from the first live issue and didn't want a 3 lp-er again. Thank goodness for the fans who captured these gems and have shared them over the years.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Yesshows should have been released as a full Moraz set or/and a full In-The-Round set. I know the label wanted to differentiate the songs from the first live issue and didn't want a 3 lp-er again. Thank goodness for the fans who captured these gems and have shared them over the years.
    I think Steve mentions in his guitar collection book that there had been initial talk of releasing Yesshows at least a year earlier, which makes me wonder if there had been some talk of them putting out something with only material from the Going For The One and Tormato tours.

I'm not sure if there was enough material from just the Tormato tour for them do an album only from that one tour. At any rate, even if they had, I doubt it would have been all from just one show, more likely songs taken from multiple shows (weren't there at least two shows recorded in London?), maybe songs edited together from multiple performances, and of course there's the "o word".

I imagine they could have included Awaken and Turn Of The Century, along with at least one or two more songs from Tormato, maybe Silent Wings and Future Times/Rejoice.

At any rate, as I said I like Yesshows as it is, so I wouldn't change anything about it, not even the "too much bass" mix (funny, I always thought it sounded just fine).

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Well, maybe "blows away" was a bit hard. I think it's certainly better. Although the original definitely suffers from its length, or lack thereof. Expand it, and I'd be happy, too.
    While I loved it as a kid/teen, it's kind of too bad there is such wasted precious space in that album for Electric Reflections of War... Also love the live flipside of Unexpected
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I wouldn't disagree, but it's not the first live album.
    Exactly. DP's first live album is Concerto for Group & Orchestra, the recording on the album is of the performance of all members of DP & the RPO at the Royal Albert Hall with a full house audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Deep Purple released a live album of (previously recorded studio material) before Made in Japan ?
    The fact that it was new material doesn't negate the fact that it is a live album.

'Yesshows' makes little sense to me as a vinyl, with 'Ritual' split up like that. The track selection is also a little eccentric IMHO- bouncing back and forth between Wakeman and Moraz on the same album doesn't work for me. The musical approach between the line-ups was radically different, I think. 'Yessongs' was a far more definitive live album for the period it covered. By contrast, I tend to dip into specific tracks on 'Yesshows' as opposed to playing the whole thing...and I rarely listen to the Wakeman tracks. To some extent, 'The Word Is Live' covered some of the gaps on 'Yesshows', and on paper was amazing- especially that late 70s period, with things like 'Future Times' and 'Awaken'. However, IMHO the sound quality was disappointing. Some very dry soundboards were used for that, lacking in any kind of atmosphere.

As for the thread, I think the first is almost always the best. They tend to be recorded in smaller venues and the bands are generally taking more chances musically. For instance, I find the live 'Ummagumma' by far and away the best Pink Floyd live album. I don't listen to the 80s/90s stadium ones much. In fact most modern live albums I find entirely pointless, recording techniques now are such that live albums are too slick.

An exception- I do prefer 'Seconds Out' to 'Live', though...mainly because 'Supper's Ready' is on the later release. There are lots of other magical moments on there- the novelty of having Phil sing the old songs, 'Robbery Assault and Battery' is tighter than the studio version, 'Afterglow' is far better than the studio version, the long 'I Know What I Like', 'The Cinema Show' with Bill Bruford, lots of great crowd atmosphere (the audience participation on 'I Know What I Like', the chants at the end of 'Musical Box'). That's why I never got the whole 'too close to the studio version' criticisms.
    Last edited by JJ88; 08-14-2013 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    In fact most modern live albums I find entirely pointless, recording techniques now are such that live albums are too slick.
    And consequently quite boring. I think compression, radio mikes & other modern equipment are major culprits here, in that very little of the natural variations in volume and sounds from a gig are audible on live albums anymore, everything has to be even. I used to love on old live albums on vinyl when you'd hear a band member or singer talking then suddenly the volume drops only to come back up again seconds later & you knew that for example, he'd just walked away from the mike over to someone else then walked back again. CSN & Y's 4 Way Street is a great live album for natural sounds and natural volumes.

Frank Marino's "Real Live" blows away his first live one from the '70s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Totally (but respectfully) disagree
    I agree with Ron.Sorry Hugues Frank's playing on Real Live is out of this world.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'Yesshows' makes little sense to me as a vinyl, with 'Ritual' split up like that. The track selection is also a little eccentric IMHO- bouncing back and forth between Wakeman and Moraz on the same album doesn't work for me. The musical approach between the line-ups was radically different, I think. 'Yessongs' was a far more definitive live album for the period it covered. By contrast, I tend to dip into specific tracks on 'Yesshows' as opposed to playing the whole thing...and I rarely listen to the Wakeman tracks. To some extent, 'The Word Is Live' covered some of the gaps on 'Yesshows', and on paper was amazing- especially that late 70s period, with things like 'Future Times' and 'Awaken'. However, IMHO the sound quality was disappointing. Some very dry soundboards were used for that, lacking in any kind of atmosphere.

As for the thread, I think the first is almost always the best. They tend to be recorded in smaller venues and the bands are generally taking more chances musically. For instance, I find the live 'Ummagumma' by far and away the best Pink Floyd live album. I don't listen to the 80s/90s stadium ones much. In fact most modern live albums I find entirely pointless, recording techniques now are such that live albums are too slick.

An exception- I do prefer 'Seconds Out' to 'Live', though...mainly because 'Supper's Ready' is on the later release. There are lots of other magical moments on there- the novelty of having Phil sing the old songs, 'Robbery Assault and Battery' is tighter than the studio version, 'Afterglow' is far better than the studio version, the long 'I Know What I Like', 'The Cinema Show' with Bill Bruford, lots of great crowd atmosphere (the audience participation on 'I Know What I Like', the chants at the end of 'Musical Box'). That's why I never got the whole 'too close to the studio version' criticisms.
    Fantastic post!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Exactly. DP's first live album is Concerto for Group & Orchestra, the recording on the album is of the performance of all members of DP & the RPO at the Royal Albert Hall with a full house audience.
    Then it's not SOLELY a live Deep Purple album as it dually consisted of an orchestra and it states that fact on the cover! So it obviously dosn't count!!!!

It's like saying the live orchestral version of Tommy from 1972 is a live Who album!

Then it's not SOLELY a live Deep Purple album as it dually consisted of an orchestra and it states that fact on the cover! So it obviously dosn't count!!!!
    It was a DP piece being performed live by DP & RPO. I really don't understand your objection to calling it a live DP album.

Oh boy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Also not live albums, then:
    Works Live - ELP
    A Night At Red Rocks - Moody Blues
    Procol Harum Live
    Rock Of Ages - The Band
    Wazoo, Imaginary Diseases - Zappa
    24 Nights - Clapton
    Journey to the Centre of the Earth - Wakeman
    etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Oh boy.
    Yes, indeedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    I agree with Ron.Sorry Hugues Frank's playing on Real Live is out of this world.
    While it might be superior playing from Marino, the track list is a bloody mess and the selection is not as essential IMHO (thoughI' tend to think that the 77 live selection should've been a double)

I'll borrow it again from my library system (how's double Live?? I've got no recollection of hearing it...)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Also not live albums, then:
    Works Live - ELP
    A Night At Red Rocks - Moody Blues
    Procol Harum Live
    Rock Of Ages - The Band
    Wazoo, Imaginary Diseases - Zappa
    24 Nights - Clapton
    Journey to the Centre of the Earth - Wakeman
    etc.
    Add to list Metallica's S & M

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    While it might be superior playing from Marino, the track list is a bloody mess and the selection is not as essential IMHO (thoughI' tend to think that the 77 live selection should've been a double)

I'll borrow it again from my library system (how's double Live?? I've got no recollection of hearing it...)
    Well, "Real Live" is all one show, so it's representative. And the sound is incredible.

Is the double Live the Salinas show from '83? I have a boot of it, but haven't heard it in years.

Humble Pie's "Rockin the Fillmore" trumps most of their studio stuff IMHO.

Is the double Live the Salinas show from '83? I have a boot of it, but haven't heard it in years.
    realeased on Maze Records in 88

Track list:
    1 You got livin’ / 2 Midnite highway / 3 Free / 4 Poppy / 5 Roadhouse blues / 6 Who do ya love / 7 Guitar prelude / 8 Electric reflections revisited / 9 Sky symphony to a little town / 10 Rock’n’roll hall of fame / 11 Juggernaut / 12 Strange dreams

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...h/double_live/

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Yes, indeedy.
    My comment was directed at Rufus, Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    (Rush) Exit... Stage Left > All The World's a Stage.
    I disagree. While Exit Stage Left was from their peak era and has the desirable songs, ATWAS is raw and raucous. Then again, I might rate Different Stages above both of them for the full version of 2112 and the third disc with the Farewell to Kings tour show!

Humble Pie's "Rockin' the Fillmore" easily trumps the 1973 San Francisco show (Eat It tour) which has been out on CD under various titles, as well as the awful live "4th side" from the Eat It studio album.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    My comment was directed at Rufus, Peter.
    I know mate, I was agreeing with it.