Thread: Argh! New player won't play DVD-A

Argh! New player won't play DVD-A

The wife and I recently shelled out for a brand new surround system, to be installed tomorrow - including the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 blu-ray player, which is excellent overall but when I read reviews online just now, I noticed something I missed the first time I checked it out. It doesn't play DVD-Audio.

So much for my Crimson 40th. editions! I'm hoping it will just play them anyway for some reason.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Dang, that sucks... but you can buy a player for DVD-A pretty cheap.

Yeah, it's just frustrating - I should have noticed it but since it was more towards the higher end of players with so many bells & whistles, I rather assumed most formats weren't going to be a problem. When I saw the "Pros and Cons" section of the review I was reading, one of the only "Cons" was that it doesn't play DVD-A or SACD... and the first thing I thought was "Oh no, those Crimson editions are DVD-A!"... I'll have to check all the other 5.1/Special editions that I've picked up over the last few years to see what they all are, I can't even remember now (Caravan, ELP, Tull, Genesis, etc. etc....)

It IS otherwise a really great system we're getting, and I'm very excited about it (BTW, The Inconsolable Secret re-release is already in the "In" pile ... going to be cranking "Having Caught A Glimpse"! )
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I have a nice Panasonic BluRay. No, it doesn't play DVD-A or SACD. Fortunately, I already had an Oppo 981, which does play both DVD-A and SACD.

The two Wilson-remixed ELP sets are also DVD-A.

As far as I know, I don't have any SACDs - my Genesis boxes are the N.American releases. Not that I care much about the new stereo mixes anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    (BTW, The Inconsolable Secret re-release is already in the "In" pile ... going to be cranking "Having Caught A Glimpse"! )
    Oh, excellent!