Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An Ozric Tentacles thread

An Ozric Tentacles thread

Since forming in England, they have been around for 30 years and 28 albums, yet for those still not aquainted with the unique style of the Ozric Tentacles (or their recent predicaments), I wanted to share a short segment of Ozric life JUST BEFORE their hopes and dreams were wiped out during the devastating Rocky Mountain fires in Colorado last summer...

First a 6 minute interview, then the Ozrics in action in their studio....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfqU5...layer_embedded

That fire destroyed everything seen in the video.. except the people. It was an even more severe misfortune that the Ozrics were on the verge of a much wider recognition following their relocation to Colorado. Then in October, main man Ed was rushed into the ER with a burst appendix which was almost fatal... he's now recovering, and looking forward to touring again in 2013.
    Ozric music will live on, no matter what, so we're wishing for a place in which they are able to resume the pursuit of their musical dreams... thereby enabling an even wider audience to continue their enjoyment of it.

Hoping for a full recovery of health, happiness and musical momentum, with special wishes to Ed, Brandi, Silas, Oli and all of their crew... as they put their personal and musical lives back together from their temporary camp... somewhere in Colorado.
    (I also figured this band deserved a thread on the new site).
    Last edited by Mick; 01-01-2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: A rephrasing of the primary post.

Ozric Tentacles are the modern equivalent of Steve Hillage and Gong. Here's a random selection:

Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Update ...
    After many months of being "homeless", Brandi was proud to announce that the Ozrics are relocating to a NEW Colorado home & studio, just in time for Christmas.
    Ed will now be able to recuperate from his surgeries "at home".

Attachment: 4207a1e24f8efa644de97.jpg (232.9 KB)
    Last edited by Mick; 12-20-2012 at 08:02 AM.

A unique band for sure, and was sorry to hear about their setbacks this year.

But, the vibes that made this band special, particularly live, were lost years ago when the likes of Zia, Seaweed and Schoo left the band. I saw this line-up several times and the talent and chemistry between the players was so good that they could jam for hours and yet make it sound like they were well-rehearsed beforehand.

Sadly, once the band reduced to Ed and Brandi, I felt the quality of the albums suffered, and the live shows lost their spark and spontaneity. If you compare clips of the Pongmasters Ball dvd in 2002 to more recent footage, it's obvious that Brandi is only a competent bass player at best, with the rest of the band little more than backing musicians.

A shame really, because Ed is a talented guy on guitar and keys, but I get the feeling he's simply on cruise control these days, if the sounds of the last album are anything to go by.

Anyone reading this and wanting an introduction to the band should try for the likes of Erpland or Jurassic Shift to see what they were really capable of when they were totally on their game.

ITA with everything Valen said.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    If you compare clips of the Pongmasters Ball dvd in 2002 to more recent footage, it's obvious that Brandi is only a competent bass player at best...
    True, but she's cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    A shame really, because Ed is a talented guy on guitar and keys, but I get the feeling he's simply on cruise control these days, if the sounds of the last album are anything to go by.
    Heh, some would say Ozrics have been on cruise control since Jurassic Shift.

And I actually like Paper Monkeys (the latest) a lot. Sure, I'd also love to have Joie, John, Merv and Roly back in the band, but I guess I'm just happy they've landed on their feet after losing their home and are able to keep going.

I pretty much quit buying new Ozrics albums after Curious Corn, thinking they had veered too far into techno territory for my tastes. I was actually pleasantly surprised how much I liked Paper Monkeys, and I have been filling in the gaps in my Ozrics collection with their more recent albums over the last few months. I now have 22 Ozrics albums if you count Nodens Ictus. I agree that they're not quite as interesting as they were in their early days, but I think they've managed to weather the lineup changes and setbacks and still put out obscenely large quantities of very good and unique music over the years. I hope they keep going for a while.
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

great band

Quote Originally Posted by Septober Energy View Post
    I was actually pleasantly surprised how much I liked Paper Monkeys, and I have been filling in the gaps in my Ozrics collection with their more recent albums over the last few months.
    My interest trailed off about a decade ago... I believe the most recent thing I know was The Hidden Step. Would you single out any big standouts among the releases they've made since?

I didn't know about this! Have known and written about Ozrics since the mid 80s.... Damn... off to find out more...

[QUOTE=Mick;22538]Update ...
    After many months of being "homeless", Brandi was proud to announce that the Ozrics are relocating to a NEW Colorado home & studio, just in time for Christmas.

I am happy to hear this. When Ozrics played ProgDay in 2009 I found them to be very nice people and thought they put on a fantastic show. The outdoor vibe with no light show was completely different from their normal environment, but damn if it was not the best time I have seen them. I hope only the best for them in the new year.

Steve sly

Finally got to catch them live earlier in the year. They were very good live. All were top notch but I was particularly impressed by the drummer. Anyway, sad to hear about their studio burning down but glad to hear they are getting back on track.

As a side note, I think they were one of the first "obscure" prog bands that I saw in record stores back in the early to mid 90's. Not that they single handedly brought prog back into the mainstream but they did seem to get some fans excited about the genre again and I remember seeing them covered in an early progression magazine issue.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I've always really liked Arboresence (sp?).

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Update ...

Attachment: 4207a1e24f8efa644de97.jpg (232.9 KB)
    Mick,what surgeries for Ed? I have no idea what's been happening since they lost their stuff to the fire.

I like just about everything 'Ozric' that I've heard. My first Ozric CDs were Erpland and Pungent Effulgent. I still like those a lot. I also really like the recent releases. i've only started on the Vitamin Enhanced box stuff, so can't really comment on it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    My interest trailed off about a decade ago... I believe the most recent thing I know was The Hidden Step. Would you single out any big standouts among the releases they've made since?
    After The Hidden Step, all I have is The Floor's Too Far Away (2006), The Yum Yum Tree (2009) and Paper Monkeys (2011). Of these I'd say that Paper Monkeys is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    i've only started on the Vitamin Enhanced box stuff, so can't really comment on it yet.
    These are overlooked and some of their most interesting work, in my opinion. These recordings were from before they'd really settled on their style, so there are some really pleasant surprises on many of these. Unfortunately, the first 2 or 3 also suffer from pretty poor sound quality in places.

Quote Originally Posted by Septober Energy View Post
    Of these I'd say that Paper Monkeys is the best.
    Noted. Thanks.

Just picked up vinyl of Paper Monkeys a few weeks ago. Still have yet to play it. Their video from the 1991 show at the Fridge in Brixton is probably my all-time favourite Ozrics product but they've got tons o'good ones.

Best wishes all around to Ed, Brandi and the Ozrics!

Right now, due to their disrupted circumstances, this band needs an immense show of appreciation, so thank you to everyone here at PE who've posted their comments with a positive input.
    For more Ozric information, music, videos and news, please go to http://ozrics.proboards.com/index.cgi , or to their forum at http://ozrics.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general.
    ... because they really need to see that PE cares about Ozric survival.
    Last edited by Mick; 12-22-2012 at 01:27 AM.

So what was wrong with Ed that he needed surgeries??

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    So what was wrong with Ed that he needed surgeries??
    Dave, Ed was rushed to the ER in October with a burst appendix, which led to further complications.
    I don't know all the details, however, most importantly, he is alive and now convalescing with Brandi and Silas in their new home. Hopefully their new studio will be equipped by the time he has fully recovered.
    They are also making plans for a 2013 tour.

...They are also making plans for a 2013 tour.
    That's great news I hope they play Kentuckiana or reasonably close.

Right now, due to their disrupted circumstances, this band needs an immense show of appreciation, so thank you to everyone here at PE who've posted their comments with a positive input.
    For more Ozric information, music, videos and news, please go to http://ozrics.proboards.com/index.cgi , or to their forum at http://ozrics.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general.
    ... because they really need to see that PE cares about Ozric survival.
    Yes - they really have had a terrible time of it lately, and I haven't seen many people aware of it!

I discovered them about a year ago and I loved their space-prog-eclectic-psychedelic rock.
    Feel free to check out my first prog-rock album:
    http://iszil.bandcamp.com/album/back-to-the-seed