Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your music collection/music rooms.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The point of this thread shouldn't be about size, it's about quality and how much you like what you got. A thousand is about 900 or so more than the average person has.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Right on Mozo!

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    I feel very inadequate with my around 1000 item collection...
    Don't. Mine is around 500 and most of my friends think that is impressive! It's all about perspective, I guess.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Don't. Mine is around 500 and most of my friends think that is impressive! It's all about perspective, I guess.
    around my friends, I am impressive too, but when dealing in the prog fan world, i am but a mere neophyte
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The point of this thread shouldn't be about size, it's about quality
    Does size matter? If you have a small one, can you still provide satisfaction when its required? People might tell you that size is not important, but are they just saying that to make you feel better? Or will they seek satisfaction somewhere else, from someone with a bigger one?
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 08-19-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    These threads often lead to snarky comments from some people and I have no idea why. I rather like seeing people's collections, I find it really interesting!
    The 80s called, they want their carpeting back.

I kid, I kid!

BTW, Progatron, our collections are pretty much identical. We rule.

I used to have all my CD, LPs, DVDs, boxed sets, etc., in display cases/shelves. It actually got too overwhelming with wall-to-wall media. i love seeing everyone's collections as they are. A lot of detail and love, for sure. For me, I decided to store it all except for some, as I stated earlier.

I then opted to make my music room all KISS and display my autographed collection. I keep tweaking it and changing out some stuff. I'd say about 75% of the items displayed are autographed.

My collection was featured on a segment on local morning news a couple of years ago:

...and YES -- that is a Renuzit™ air freshener signed by Ace Frehley that came from his home studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    In that second screenshot, the negative space between the two platform boots looks like Gene Simmons' tongue. I had to do a doubletake to make sure that wasn't what you intended.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    In that second screenshot, the negative space between the two platform boots looks like Gene Simmons' tongue. I had to do a doubletake to make sure that wasn't what you intended.
    Hah! No. I hadn't completed the cases yet, so that is the wall you are seeing. I added the back of the case sometime last year as you can see in the first images I posted. The tongue thing would have been funny.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    These were taken last Christmas, so I've gotten a lot since then.
    I've thought about trying that - having shelves running along below the ceiling. Need to take advantage of that space!

For all the collections shown thus far that include music -- how do you catalogue your music? Is it alphabetically? Genre?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've thought about trying that - having shelves running along below the ceiling. Need to take advantage of that space!
    My dad and I put those shelves in when I was a little kid. They were initially for books, but the books got donated and the CDs moved in!

About 500 of my CD's are sitting on Spindles, as I went through a stage when I got rid of the cases and artwork and just hung on to the disk. I have about 400 more that are actually still in their cases, but are in big cardboard Boxes. I have 2 300 CD jukeboxes that handle the ones I most often listen to, but to be honest, almost all my listening comes from my phablet. I just find it too convenient. about once a year I go through and try to categorize the disks, but almost always have to give up. Its a lot of music, and for me I have been through so many stages where I listen to a lot of say 70's stuff, or soundtracks, then it falls out of favor and I pick up Blues with big brass, then I move on. Prog pretty much stays put, but the other stuff goes in and out like the weather. Short of dedicating an entire room to music, I just collect - no, its more like a hoarder - I find disks under 10 year old piles of computer training DVD's. Who knows what I was thinking. The only place where I know where everything is is on my phone, which does a decent job of keeping it in order. And that is backed up to 2 computer drives which both have Carbonite, so I'm reasonably well protected.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    For all the collections shown thus far that include music -- how do you catalogue your music? Is it alphabetically? Genre?
    I'm totally amazed by your collection Gruno. I've been downsizing, I gave away some really nice stuff - an autographed Sex Pistols lithograph/framed (minus Sid - Glen Matlock instead - from a radio announcer in Texas who knows the band and has written books on them) and a bunch of other stuff (e.g., a Santana autographed guitar), a Beatles Lithograph -- all to my older brother. I've got a bunch of classic posters that I have no room to frame.

I still have a good collection though. I already posted some my favourite stuff here.

I organize one of my CD cases alphabetically by band. The other case - a big part by type of CD - A row for MFSL CD (and related), three rows for Japan mini-lp cds, classic rock, jazz, punk. Less well organized than the first case.

Gruno - I can see why your collection was on the news!!

I'll add that some of my CDs I consider part of my "memorabilia collections", sort of. The 30 Japan Promo Mini-LP CD box sets are almost all unopened (and never will be as I have duplicates) are like a collection (also posted earlier).
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-20-2013 at 12:58 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Gruno - I can see why your collection was on the news!!
    Because the public have a right to know where the lunatics live?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Because the public have a right to know where the lunatics live?
    ROFLMAO!

I used to work for a podiatrist and Gene Simmons was one of his clients; I am the proud owner of one of Gene's ingrown toenails (I was too shy to ask Gene to sign it). Gene told Dr. XXXXXXXX the boots he wore onstage damaged his big toes which, based on the toenail I have, are fucking huge, just like his tongue. I've been offered 4 figures for it but I'm keeping it safe in the velvet box next to where I keep the lollipop stick that hit David Bowie in the eye back in 2004.

I'll add that some of my CDs I consider part of my "memorabilia collections", sort of. The 30 Japan Promo Mini-LP CD box sets are almost all unopened (and never will be as I have duplicates) are like a collection (also posted earlier).
    I have a few hundred autographed CDs and boxed sets that I consider part of my memorabilia also.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Here's A-F (and Dill) on the spinner. Now that we're in a house we own, I'm looking into getting someone to build a big media unit thingy.

Attachment 2248
    Instead of A-F, that should be reserved for everything on RCA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Instead of A-F, that should be reserved for everything on RCA.
    Hah! He's protecting that stuff, indeed.

My wife has always complained about my CDs and books most of the time we were married. In all fairness, we moved a lot and most of that time was in apartments. Now we're in a decent size house and I have carte blanche. She even took a very active interest in decorating my man cave. Still, I need a lot more bookshelves.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Hah! He's protecting that stuff, indeed.
    He's a good boy.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    She even took a very active interest in decorating my man cave.
    No, no, NO! Women are NOT allowed to decorate a man cave. That's like... totally against what it's about!

Definitely not alphabetically for me - I don't want Yes and Zappa way at the bottom where they'd be hard to get to. Genre and Chronology are mostly how I organize. The left side of my main prog shelves are the 'old guard' - bands that started in the 60s and 70s, including their respective members' solo releases. Sometimes that rule is broken however: Bill Bruford's albums, for example, are found in the fusion section.

The right side is "80s and beyond", beginning with bands like Marillion and IQ and then branching out into different sections based on different genres, and sometimes quite simply what I want displayed more prominently. I like to rearrange them from time to time. I also keep all the Italian bands together, as I suspect most people do, and the same goes for French and Scandinavian bands. It ends up being a rather complex set of variables but it makes perfect sense to me.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***