Thread: News From Babel "Letters Home"

chalkpie

News From Babel "Letters Home"

Just found a new favorite album. This is a masterpiece. I don't toss that word around, usually reserved for classical composers, but I think this is one. Compositionally the melodies, harmonic structure, arrangements, form, etc is just masterful. Gorgeous and dark. This is an album that doesn't rely on fancy licks in 29/16 (which I love love as you know), rather more of a performance akin to a renaissance/medieval consort - not in style - but in a collective body of sound where each element is perfectly balanced and placed. Same as string quartet. The harp just takes this album to new plateaus. Here is an album in the 80's that is easily as good as Close to the Fudge....or dare I say...

NewsFromBabel_Letters_cover.jpg

Yup, thi one is a fave of mine... Compared to their other album (with Dagmar only on vocals), Letters Home is very much an improvement.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

For me both albums are inseparable, I first heard them on the RéR 2-on-1. I loved the band's sound based on harp, bassoon, piano and drums. There is obviously a link to some of Henry Cow's more "chamber"-styled music, but different and original still. Lindsay Cooper had really come into her own as a composer in the meantime (she wrote all the music on this). An ultimately pointless (I guess) sidenote is that I, over a period of 15 years, managed to get my CD autographed by all four original members of the band - Chris Cutler, Lindsay Cooper, Zeena Parkins and Dagmar Krause (over the same period I also managed another similar challenge - to get my Soft Machine "Peel Sessions" CD signed by all four members of the classic Soft Machine line-up)

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    For me both albums are inseparable
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Check out "Domestic Stories", Cutler's project with Lutz Glandien w/Harth, Frith, & Dagmar....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

For me both albums are inseparable, I first heard them on the RéR 2-on-1. I loved the band's sound based on harp, bassoon, piano and drums. There is obviously a link to some of Henry Cow's more "chamber"-styled music, but different and original still. Lindsay Cooper had really come into her own as a composer in the meantime (she wrote all the music on this)
    Well, you can acquire a small boset with the separate albums... It's what I got...

Yeah, Cooper is excellent in NFB...

In the meantime, Frith was in Skeleton Crew, which I can't seem to get into nearly as much as this project.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Good one!
    I prefer this to their first.

I like both.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    In the meantime, Frith was in Skeleton Crew, which I can't seem to get into nearly as much as this project.
    Skeleton Crew is among my favorite of Frith's bands. He had such an amazing string of albums and collaborations in the early 80s.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Recent acquisition for me and I'm enjoying it a lot
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

It's absolutely wonderful, and a highlight in Wyatt's 80s vocal work.

If you still haven't heard Tim Hodgkinson's song "Moments of Delight", featuring the basic lineup of NfB with Wyatt, this is an incredible tune as well:

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I am envious of Frankie - discovering this music it most be so fun
    How about Lindsay Cooper do you know Music For Other Occasions ?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Indeed. That's the one single album on which her close associate - and later esteemed film director - Sally Potter has some seminal input. Songs are equally as great as any of the NfB material, IMO. Now this is groundbreaking "progressive rock" of the 80s!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

...I also managed another similar challenge - to get my Soft Machine "Peel Sessions" CD signed by all four members of the classic Soft Machine line-up
    I didn't know this and I'm glad to read this.

No one deserves something like this more than you, Aymeric!

sincerely,
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    all of her solo work is stunning - that one is a favourite but also Rags and Golddiggers were fabulous

K
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

All the above and more. One of my favourites for a long, long time. I have it on lovely 45rpm vinyl.

Catherine Jauniaux - Fluvial

TIM HODGKINSON - guitar, viola, clarinet, piano, organ, drums, percussion
    BILL GILLONIS - guitar
    GEORGIE BORN - cello
    LINDSAY COOPER - oboe, bassoon, sopranino saxophone
    STEPHEN KENT- trumpet
    DOMINIC WEEKS - vibraphone, xylophone, percussion
    MARIO BOYER - balafon, percussion
    CHARLES BULLEN - percussion

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Agreed.
    Agreed too (both albums + domestic stories= must)