Thread: Any idea what's going on with the user count?

Any idea what's going on with the user count?

Just curious - is PE v 3.0 THAT popular?
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

It looks more like a cumulative total, rather than a snapshot.
    It may be that the logins appear on the list until they time out, unless the person logs out of the site.

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Yeah, I think Duncan said that it might be that everyone who clicks the "Remember Me" button is counted as being here, whether they're actually here or not.

And maybe every time you log in, it counts you again.

...or something.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Can't wait to see where the numbers end up eventually!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yeah, I think Duncan said that it might be that everyone who clicks the "Remember Me" button is counted as being here, whether they're actually here or not.
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    And maybe every time you log in, it counts you again.
    No.

Here's what happens:

Those counts are for members who are 'logged in'.

If you click the "remember me" button when you log in, then it keeps you logged in for a lot longer than the system's default 15 minutes. (I've set it to a VERY long time, so that we don't have to keep logging in again and again.)

This means that - by your choice - you remain 'logged in' even after you leave the site.

And that means that as a 'logged-in user', you are included in the count of 'logged-in' users.

The counts would be a lot more realistic if I were to reset that parameter to 15 minutes. Then it would only counts people who are logged in at present, and in the last 15 mins. But then ... you'd be re-entering your user-ID and password again and again...
    Regards,

Duncan

Thank you, o wise one!

Did this suddenly change? Now it seems there are less posters viewing/visiting the site. Did the mods disable something? A lot less ames on the front page.

Well, it wasn't meant to be the way it was a week ago. Something got stuck and those never cleared after their sessions. Now it's corrected and more realistic.

SO, why does everyone have post counts of 0?
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Banned
    wow,so right now only like 100+ people are on PE viewing the main board?

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    SO, why does everyone have post counts of 0?
    Because if we didn't there would be competition for who can post the most. It's happened before when we posted those stats at the old site. It's something we'd rather not be reminded of. It's about quality here (we hope), not quantity.

Who knew? I actually like to see my count, since it lets me know how often I am visiting.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Who knew? I actually like to see my count, since it lets me know how often I am visiting.
    Yes, it would be nice to display the post counter.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

The side effects wouldn't be pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    The side effects wouldn't be pretty.
    Can't we just behave like grown-ups? Most fora have post counters and I never got the feeling some people were just trying to get as much posts as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Can't we just behave like grown-ups? Most fora have post counters and I never got the feeling some people were just trying to get as much posts as possible.
    There would inevitably be those who see it as a competition, though. I agree with Sean. Too bad the "Posts" line can't be removed completely -- then maybe the question wouldn't even come up.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    There would inevitably be those who see it as a competition, though. I agree with Sean. Too bad the "Posts" line can't be removed completely -- then maybe the question wouldn't even come up.
    what kind of morons turn post numbers into competitions? But if it really happens on other boards, then I'm for not having it happen on this board. Is there still a limit of 75 posts per week per member?

Not at the moment....

Not only do you get post count competition, but you get a hierarchy as well — those with the most post counts end up dominating the forums. It's human (animal, actually) nature. Even worse are forums with 'like/dislike' features.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    what kind of morons turn post numbers into competitions? But if it really happens on other boards, then I'm for not having it happen on this board. Is there still a limit of 75 posts per week per member?
    Well, in some forums (like PA), there was a competition about the bigger poster > some thought it was prestigious to show that they spent/waste so much time on forums .... some have 80 or 100 000 posts since its birth in early 04 (and they joined well afterwards)... Some guy (Smart¨Patrol) joined in April of this year and has almost 6 000 posts

Some forums even have a star-system partly linked to the number of posts entered...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.