Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bob Drake "Bob's Drive-In"

Hi Fiction, Kavus, Frank, everyone else -
    Fiction: that was a fun gig at Jeff and Cyndee's, I think it was the best of that particular incarnation of the group, we were getting away from the more acoustic-ey approach we started with at the first few gigs. (apart from the tractor shed gig, which was great!) Of course the band never really became what it was meant to be until we got Kavus.

Kerry: the long "sound collage" piece from 2006 and the long piece based on one note (2005) were done just after I'd spent 2 or 3 years composing and recording a solo album of 52 super-compact, tightly arranged miniatures entitled The Shunned Country (you can hear 4 songs from it here: http://www.bdrak.com/sounds/shunned.htm) Once that was finished I had to do something as far in the opposite direction as I could just to even out a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    I flipped-out over The Shaggs a few weeks ago (finally hearing how fucking WEIRD that shit is and getting past the "we can't play" thing and just loving the craziness of it all) [/I].
    Although certainly not comparable to the highly musical virtues of BD, the wonder of The Shaggs was that they essentially related to music on completely different levels of perception than any "normal" mode would imply; if you listen to the vocal lines, it's actually quite scary how they were even able to deliver them while keeping up with what they themselves obviously thought to be instrumental "pattern". Hell, even that drum solo intro to "My Pal Foot-Foot" has something uncannily telepathic about it; you actually have to be enabled to be able to reproduce something like that.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

chalkpie
    I shall checketh out The Shaggers.....thx guys.

chalkpie
    Sir Kerry -

If you have any spare change laying about, ReR Mega (run by Chris Cutler of Henry Cow) is having a sale on about 6 of Bob's albums. Just go ahead and order ALL of these, and you'll have these gems until the end of time. There is so much amazing musical information, these may take years to comprehend what is happening, but the journey is so worth it. Also, I highly recommend Bob's first proper solo album called 'What Day is It?" which was released properly with restored artwork, liner notes, etc. on Dave Kerman's Ad-Hoc label. There is a track on there called "Rainy" which is just phenomenal. http://www.rermegacorp.com/mm5/merch...=SPECIALOFFERS

wdcov.jpg

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I've had The Skull Mailbox for years......it's okay but nothing I returned to after the first half dozen listens.
    So did you officially quit? If so, you're missing out bro. I can tell you I wasn't in love after 6 listens - seriously - this may take more.

There is nothing "OK" about it - it's either something that 'clicks' and you see the immense beauty (albeit dark beauty) or it is simply not in your wheel house. It's incredible compositions, performance, and production, period. Not sure what other avant-prog stuff you dig, but I would be curious to see if there is anything you love that possibly overlaps this record.

Try (if you haven't): Late at night, dark (or a candle lit), headphones, laying on couch, a drink or four, and maybe even a chemical refreshment if you do partake. Open your mind and heart, and forget about what music is supposed to accomplish, because Bob's music accomplishes and touches upon areas that most music we listen to doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Try (if you haven't): Late at night, dark (or a candle lit), headphones, laying on couch, a drink or four, and maybe even a chemical refreshment if you do partake. Open your mind and heart, and forget about what music is supposed to accomplish, because Bob's music accomplishes and touches upon areas that most music we listen to doesn't.
    Agree with all of this except for the drink vs. chemicals section; I'm doing Seroquel for my illness at the moment, and they tend to ruin a good single malt. And somehow I keep thinking that anti-psychotics contradict the possible effect of a Drake'ian overdose.

Other than that I concur. Bob is one of a kind, even in a race with other one-of-a-kinds.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Try (if you haven't): Late at night, dark (or a candle lit),
    I'm always happy when different people get different ideas about the atmosphere of the music. To me it all has a dusty, "summery" sunlit vibe, those long days that seem filled with some inexplicable unseen excitement and thrill. Especially those hot, still afternoons when there is a distant thunderstorm developing. I think the new album (not quite finished yet) has a definite summery vibe, in the lyrics as well, though as usual they do generally tell strange, funny little tales. But this could be just my personal feeling about it, having spent a lot of time in the summery garden looking over distant fields etc coming with the stuff. (though there are some tracks recorded mostly outdoors too) Who knows what other listeners might get from it. Hopefully not just "ill", haha.

Bob
    www.bdrak.com
    Last edited by B D; 08-14-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Bob - you are indeed one of a kind. always an inspiration. it's great to see some love moving your way here

and Frank, if you're just now exploring Bob's work, you are in for such a treat. every listen in a new discovery

Kim
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

chalkpie
    Bump. I guess...

Just checking in with Msr. Drake and seeing approximately when the new one (Lawn Ornaments) is gonna hit the charts? Love the samples (of course) and can't wait. Still absorbing "Bob's Drive In" and that sucker has inched its way up in the oeuvre of Drakeness.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    Bob - you are indeed one of a kind. always an inspiration. it's great to see some love moving your way here

and Frank, if you're just now exploring Bob's work, you are in for such a treat. every listen in a new discovery

Kim
    Hey man - not really a BD newbie - I bought "Skull" about one year after its release after reading about it here way back when, and then basically grabbed the entire lot (up to that point) from the Kermanator at NF one year. Been a fanboy ever since.

I'm currently riding a 'Heavy Cow' (and Canterbury) wave, but when that subsides a bit I'm gonna do all the BD's in order (most likely multiple spins).

I heard "Acting Bears" … the best description I have is Mike Keneally crossbred with Jellyfish, with some XTC frosting, so very much a fun song in that way.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I've had The Skull Mailbox for years......it's okay but nothing I returned to after the first half dozen listens.
    For me that's Bob's masterpiece
    Amazing stuff

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    For me that's Bob's masterpiece
    Amazing stuff
    I don't think there is any middle ground here - you either eat this up in full or run for the hills. I do admit it threw me for a loop when I first got it.....WAY more out there than I was expecting, but after a few spins and it began to sink in, I was hooked.

Gun to my head: still my favorite BD album.

Mine too. With very stiff competition, I might add.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Mine too. With very stiff competition, I might add.
    Yeah, it's his "Close to the Edge", and luckily he hasn't made a "Union" yet

Actually a BD version of the entire "Close" album would be fuckin brilliant! Pump some new steroids into that olde warhorse.

Hey man - just got your Knifeworld email today - great news and good luck. A new BD and Knifeworld album - sign me up! Any idea in which month we're looking at?

YEA BOB!!

Love BD's work, this most recent album is no exception. Killer album with some amazing songs on here. My favorite album though is still Skull Mailbox

Frank, I am so glad you posted Arcana too. that is one amazing piece of music! Varese for life
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

chalkpie
    Hey Mike - one night after a session recording Bateless, Cabesa, Sussloaf, and I spun the entire "Skull" with the lights off and we were pretty out there - maybe around Jupiter - and those guys finally "got" why I always rave about BD. Bill especially loved it and was blown away by the production - he had never heard such an artistic production before on any album, maybe with the exception of FZ.

Yeah, "Arcana" and "Ameriques" don't exactly suck

I actually want to hear "Ameriques" right now - I might do it - I haven't heard the Chailly/Concertgebouw in a while....I think my last spins of this a few years ago probably was Boulez and Nagano (which is the first edition of this I got and it's pretty stellar, and it does include the weird tape on "Deserts"). He's the cat on LSO I and II by FZ.
    Last edited by chalkpie; 01-23-2014 at 09:39 PM.

chalkpie

Looks like YT has the Chailly up! Just too great not to post, and why not on a BD thread?

Besides all his studio wizardry I found out Bob is great on stage
    I'll never forget the energy-level he brought when he guested on Peter Blegvad's show at RIO - that really was impressive
    I really wish they invite him to play at RIO

Bump. I guess...

Just checking in with Msr. Drake and seeing approximately when the new one (Lawn Ornaments) is gonna hit the charts?
    Hi Frank,
    I don't know - I finished it last September, and the artist started doing the illustrations (they are great!) but I haven't heard from him now in over a month, not sure what's going on. I think he got really busy and just hasn't had time. It'll be worth the wait though, his art really suits the music. Hopefully he hasn't fallen off the planet or something! By the way, I plan to play the whole album on "The Interesting Alternative Show" when I'm in London next month with Kavus. So you can get your low-resolution preview there if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I heard "Acting Bears" … the best description I have is Mike Keneally crossbred with Jellyfish, with some XTC frosting, so very much a fun song in that way.
    That's from the album I'm currently working on called "20 Nitre-Encrusted Hits!" At the rate that's going, it might be finished by the end of 2014. I just finished another one yesterday, a very high-energy, funny song called "Brushing a Badger".

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Besides all his studio wizardry I found out Bob is great on stage
    I'll never forget the energy-level he brought when he guested on Peter Blegvad's show at RIO - that really was impressive
    I really wish they invite him to play at RIO
    Thanks Udi! You know I LOVE performing onstage, but I've accepted the fact that it's just not going to happen much. I live in the middle of nowhere, able/interested musicians are 1000's of kilometers away, I have zero tour organising skills and so on. On the other hand, I truly love being snuggled up in my studio making my funny records, so I'm not complaining! I mean, making those records is just a non-stop lift, so much fun and constant excitement.

Thanks you all for bringing this up and discussing here.

LOVED Bob's work with Thinking Plague, Science Group, and 5uu's. Will have to put this on my (exceedingly long) wishlist.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    LOVED Bob's work with Thinking Plague, Science Group, and 5uu's. Will have to put this on my (exceedingly long) wishlist.

Hi Zomby,
    That doesn't necessarily mean you'll like my solo stuff, as it's not really like the bands I've been in. Even if you don't like it, it might be interesting because it can show you what it was I gave to those bands. There are songs from each of my albums here:
    http://www.bdrak.com/sounds/albumsbd.htm

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by B D View Post
    Hi Zomby,
    That doesn't necessarily mean you'll like my solo stuff, as it's not really like the bands I've been in. Even if you don't like it, it might be interesting because it can show you what it was I gave to those bands. There are songs from each of my albums here:
    http://www.bdrak.com/sounds/albumsbd.htm
    For me, as much as I love all of those bands and albums (and I DO, believe me, that is a chunk of amazing music), I generally dig the BD solo albums more. I find that they are more warped and eclectic. Maybe not true 100% of the time, but it's what I perceive. You won't find country and bluegrass filtered through PCP and mescalin like you will on BD's albums for instance. It's less "prog" (oh boy) and more genre-defying. Of course this is my opinion, and if you have any sense and logic, you won't listen to a word I say.