listen 5. Codine 6:35 $0.99 Buy MP3
    listen 6. Light Your Windows 3:03 $0.99 Buy MP3
    listen 7. Mona 7:13 $0.99 Buy MP3
    listen 8. Calvary 4:30 $0.99 Buy MP3
    listen 9. Back Door Man 4:12 $0.99 Buy MP3
    listen 10. Acapulco Gold & Silver 12:34 Album Only
    listen 11. Who Do You Love? 12:05 Album Only
    listen 12. The Fool

oooohhhh, fuuuuck!!!!... A no-brainer...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I always had a real fondness for their '73 album 'It's A Beautiful Day... Today'. The original lineup was long gone, Patti and Val being the only ones left. Sadly Patti and later joining members Fred Webb on keys, Bud Cockrell on bass, and Greg Bloch on violin have all passed on. Bud's vocals may be a bit of an acquired taste but I always liked their grittiness...

Prior to joining IABD, Bloch was in String Cheese, an L.A. band which sounds remarkably like IABD circa the first album. They were also labelmates of Styx on Wooden Nickel.

ITABD ordered... still hesitating on QMS, for sonic reasons

how's the sound on it, Steve (once you get it in your player, of course)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    'It's A Beautiful Day... Today'.
    This is the only It's a Beautiful Day album I don't have. Mmmm, after listening to that YouTube cut, I may have to hunt it down. Yeah, Bud's vocals are a bit tough to take, after the smooth baritone of David LaFlamme, but Patti makes up for it. What a voice, and not bad looking, either.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    This is the only It's a Beautiful Day album I don't have. Mmmm, after listening to that YouTube cut, I may have to hunt it down. Yeah, Bud's vocals are a bit tough to take, after the smooth baritone of David LaFlamme, but Patti makes up for it. What a voice, and not bad looking, either.
    Lou, there is not a decent CD version of this out there.. most if not all are needledrops and bad ones at that... beware! I had a professional one made that beats all of them IMO... PM if interested.

Don & Dewey from MM is a great barn burner. (the duo of D&D included Don Harris and was the inspiration for the Righteous Bros)
    I listened to Marrying Maiden and enjoyed it having burnt out on the first album. Saw them live at the Fox Theater in Long Beach (I wish I could remember the name of the opening act- they were just a drummer and a bass player)

That Katz guy is one litigious SOB!

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    Don & Dewey from MM is a great barn burner. (the duo of D&D included Don Harris and was the inspiration for the Righteous Bros)
    That Katz guy is one litigious SOB!
    How about them Purple guys being litigious... Don & Dewey was pillaged for Lazy, just like Bmbay Calling was for Child In Time

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'd even avoid the second one really.... only Don & Dewey is worthy ... and Purple understood it, since they made into Lazy on the Machine Head album
    It was actually IaBD who paraphrased DP's "Wring That Neck" on "Don & Dewey" - as 'payback' for the obtuse theft by DP of "Bombay Calling" (for "Child In Time"). DP did even worse when stealing the "Black Night" riff:

But then again, The Blues Magoos had stolen it for themselves as well.

The S/T It's a Beautiful Day is a true classic and, together with the Touch album and the debut Sea Train, probably the earliest US foray into "actual" progressive rock as it came to be defined on European terms (meaning outside of Zappa/Mothers etc.). The live album is good, Marrying Maiden mediocre but with a couple of standout tracks. Along with Richard Greene and Jerry Goodman (not exactly coincidentally from the OTHER early US progressive band The Flock), David La Flamme was the greatest rock violinist in the US - IMO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I still enjoy their first album a lot with White Bird and other songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    It was actually IaBD who paraphrased DP's "Wring That Neck" on "Don & Dewey" - as 'payback' for the obtuse theft by DP of "Bombay Calling" (for "Child In Time"). DP did even worse when stealing the "Black Night" riff:

Not sure that outside the obvious bass line that Purple lifted anything else from TBM... but yeah, that bass is plentifull enough lifting.

As for Wring That Neck, there might be a few moments slightly reminiscent between that and Lazy; but Lazy and IABD's D1D are much closer...

Definitely not convinced that IABD lifted from WTN

There's one section of one song on the QMS 2-cd set where the guitars overwhelm the vox, Hugues, but otherwise it's fine afaic.

Remember, you're dealing with someone who's car stereo is far better than his Bose Wave.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    I always had a real fondness for their '73 album 'It's A Beautiful Day... Today'. The original lineup was long gone, Patti and Val being the only ones left. Sadly Patti and later joining members Fred Webb on keys, Bud Cockrell on bass, and Greg Bloch on violin have all passed on. Bud's vocals may be a bit of an acquired taste but I always liked their grittiness...
    Wow, I like this a lot. Ii like the vocals too... it's like Fred Turner if he didn't suck.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    There's one section of one song on the QMS 2-cd set where the guitars overwhelm the vox, Hugues, but otherwise it's fine afaic.
    Which one is this - the Lost Gold and Silver set? My advice: get it as quick as you can! It's essentially a work-up on the legendary Maiden of the Cancer Moon bootleg (on the even more legendary Psycho label) - arguably one of the greatest boots by a rock band ever. QMS should have been the catalyst for SO much rock music, yet they are hardly even remembered nowadays.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

SS - its the last 40 seconds of the first track, "Pride Of Man". The rest of the album is mixed very well. Acapulco Gold & Silver is just fine.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    DP did even worse when stealing the "Black Night" riff:

From who? That's the first time I ever heard that.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I remember seeing someone from Deep Purple, Jon Lord I think, saying the 'Black Night' riff was reminiscent of Rick Nelson's 'Summertime'.

There is some kind of family resemblace, but again, it's the bass line that does it most... More so than from Blues Magoos, IMHO

QMS Question: Does anyone know what (if any) songs on s/t & Happy Trails Freiberg sang lead on rather than Duncan?

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    QMS Question: Does anyone know what (if any) songs on s/t & Happy Trails Freiberg sang lead on rather than Duncan?
    I believe that's Freiberg on "Pride of Man" and "Dino's Song". Cipollina was quoted in Deke Leonard's book that Freiberg was the "great voice of Quicksilver".

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    I believe that's Freiberg on "Pride of Man" and "Dino's Song".
    "Dino's Song" is Duncan and Freiberg at the same time, whilst "The Fool" has input from both; "Pride of Man", "Light Your Windows" and "It's Been Too Long" are all Freiberg. They had somewhat identical voices, although I believe Freiberg had more control of intonation etc. On Happy Trails it's mostly Duncan all the way.

Thanks, gentlemen!

Prior to joining IABD, Bloch was in String Cheese, an L.A. band which sounds remarkably like IABD circa the first album. They were also labelmates of Styx on Wooden Nickel.
    Didn't Bloch play with PFM as well?

I believe that's Freiberg on "Pride of Man" and "Dino's Song". Cipollina was quoted in Deke Leonard's book that Freiberg was the "great voice of Quicksilver".
    This is actually such a bizarre coincidence that I can hardly take it in, but just today I found a near-mint copy of the original Psycho label Maiden of the Cancer Moon in one of Oslo's not too many second hand record stores! I haven't owned that vinyl in some 15 years, I believe - being so stupid back then to think that "CDs were the thing of the future" and duly keeping my Lost Gold and Silver set. And I just got a brand new pickup head for my record player... Guess it's time to whip out the goods big time - in analog.