Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever tried doing their own edit of prog rock classics

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Actually no. This is one area I'm not very familiar with but I'm willing to learn. Is there a dummies book or something like that available? I would be interested if it would help me with my aforementioned interest in making medleys but also mixed cds. To be honest I'm not really interested in editing songs to make them shorter(other than the medley thing).
    There are numerous tutorials on YouTube that re very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    With all the talk a lot of people have made about how Tales From Topographic Oceans, for instance, could have been edited down to a single LP, I'm wondering if anyone's ever actually tried doing that, using whichever technology you might have at your disposal at the time.".
    Yes I did that last year. I have my own Tales From Topographic Oceans of about 38 min.
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

i have a short version of Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick on a CD somewhere.... approx. 12 minutes.

I just rememembered what spurred to me do my "special radio edit" of Close To The Edge (which I incidentally played on Journey Of The Sorcerer's Apprentice tonight). It was because I thought the single that Atlantic actually put out wasn't very good. As I recall, it starts with a sped up version of the "rainforest" intro (I think I've seen it called The Birds Of Paradise), and then abruptly cuts to the Total Mass Retain section. So I tried to pull off my own version, to see if I could come up with something I found more aesthetically pleasing. I think I was kinda successful, though surely it's a subjective point and I imagine a lot of people wouldn't dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I've done a few "segue mixes" that involved editing using Audacity. These include several Genesis mixes.
    Dancing With The Moonlit Knight_Aisle Of Plenty
    Squonk_Los Endos
    Burning Rope_In The Cage works very well together
    That reminds me I still need to do a It's Yourself/Los Endos segue, as I've been meaning to do for the last couple years.

I've also edited out the drum solo on Focus -Eruption.
    I did that with the Earthbound version of Groon. I cut from just a little bit after the rest of the band drops to the point where ring modulated drums kick in. I think I ended up cutting something like 3 or 4 minutes out.

Another one I was very proud of was Boston's Foreplay into Todd Rundgren's Utopia Theme beginning with Todd's solo immediately after the verse. That one was pulled off at WVGS live using two Technics SP-10s.
    Does a tape exist? I'm using mp3's and the Spreaker console, but I do a lot of cool segues on my show too. Once I did a perfectly timed segue from Oscillations by Silver Apples into As You Said by Cream. I managed to lift my finger off the play button at just the right moment so as to have the first beat of As You Said occur simultaneously with the last beat of Oscillations. Sounded perfect.

Another time I crossfaded the two sections of the studio version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond together. That took a bit of careful work, because I can only work one fader at a time, so I had to fade up Part VI, then fade out Part V. The effect I created was the wind effect fades up, with the guitar arpeggios at the end of Part V fading out as the "heartbeat" rhythm began on Part VI. And I think I got it just about perfect, with just a little bit of the hum that kicks of Welcome To The Machine audible.

I wish Jon and Steve had done a single version of the Leaves of Green section of The Ancient. That is truly one of the major highlights of the album.
    Well, that probably would have been up to the record company to call for such a single release. Given all the stories I've heard of Ahmet Ertegun's active involvement with some of the bigger artists on Atlantic, it's kind of a shame he didn't hear Leaves Of Green and say "That could be a hit, let's release it as a single".

One of these days I'm going to do an edit of The Remembering and get it down to about 15 minutes. Although every time I try to figure which sections to cut, I think, "well, it would be a shame to cut the lute section out, or Rick's Mellotron padding since I like Steve's Rutherfordesque strumming. Sometimes, its better to leave well-enough alone.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I just rememembered what spurred to me do my "special radio edit" of Close To The Edge (which I incidentally played on Journey Of The Sorcerer's Apprentice tonight). It was because I thought the single that Atlantic actually put out wasn't very good. As I recall, it starts with a sped up version of the "rainforest" intro (I think I've seen it called The Birds Of Paradise), and then abruptly cuts to the Total Mass Retain section. So I tried to pull off my own version, to see if I could come up with something I found more aesthetically pleasing. I think I was kinda successful, though surely it's a subjective point and I imagine a lot of people wouldn't dig it.
    I'm curious- is Journey Of The Sorcerer's Apprentice a radio show? Is it online?

Strangely enough I just did an edit of TFTO, dunno if it's an improvement but at least it's shorter.

I took some minutes out of LZs Achilles Last Stand.
    And also some minutes off of side one on Kraftwerks Electric Cafe album. The last minutes of the middle part in the three song suite.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I could easiliy make a great one cd version of the Lamb. Just take out side two and three of the original double album.
    Yeah, making a single CD of The Lamb is easy, if you can use all of the available space , but cramming it into a single vinyl album is another thing...

First, I'd mostly concentrate on the first disc, keeping a lot of it, and add whatever tracks I like on side 3

Side A
    2. Fly on a Windshield/Broadway Melody of 1974
    5. In the Cage (8:15 >> maybe shorten it by 2 minutes if needed)
    6. The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging (2:45)
    7. Back in N.Y.C. (5:42 >> not essential, though)
    9. Counting Out Time (3:42)
    10. The Carpet Crawlers (5:15 >> edited to 3 minutes length)

Side B
    1. The Chamber of 32 Doors (5:40 >> can be edited by 1/3)
    2. The Waiting Room (5:24 >> edited to 3-mins length
    3. Anyway (3:07)
    5. The Lamia (6:57)
    7. Colony of Slippermen (8:13)
    a) The Arrival
    b) A Visit to the Doktor
    c) Raven

Of course the story won't make much sense, but it doesn't anyway
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    I took some minutes out of LZs Achilles Last Stand.
    Yeah, in both my Cd-r and XL II-S compilations, I left Achilles close up my selection, precisely because I knew I didn't have enough time to include everything I wanted if I included it in its entirety... So I let the tape or CD-r end without having the whole thing.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I don't really get into much, if any, classic prog stuff. I have edited some of the prog that I have liked.

I edited the FUCK YOU part of "The Water" by Spocks Beard. What I did was made two songs out of one (parts 1 and 2 separated completely). That FU part is so clumsy, so ugly, so stupid, and it ruins an otherwise killer epic.

I'm curious- is Journey Of The Sorcerer's Apprentice a radio show? Is it online?
    Yes, it's online. I go live every Friday night at 8:00pm Eastern, but there's a web archive, where you can listen to any of the last few weeks' shows. The trick is, each set is archived individually, so every half hour or so, you have to go back and start the next set manually (assuming of course you haven't been nauseated by my at times questionable tastes).
    The website is http://www.spreaker.com/thesorcerersapprentice

I do it all the time, I'm very selective. I edit out the parts I don't like and segue what remains as best I can.
    Wild Vines Music

Still trying to identify this music (updated link):
    Unknown Track

Quote Originally Posted by Matt #2 View Post
    Strangely enough I just did an edit of TFTO, dunno if it's an improvement but at least it's shorter.

Where did the ocean waves and synths at the beginning come from?

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Where did the ocean waves and synths at the beginning come from?
    It's from the CD version. It was left off the original LP and cassette for some reason, and they restored it for the remastered CD.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    It's from the CD version. It was left off the original LP and cassette for some reason, and they restored it for the remastered CD.
    What version? It’s sure not on my CD!

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:“Nur noch zwei Lichtjahre”-Virus/Revelation

^The latest Rhino reissue I believe. The first CD version to have the beginning restored.

Next up for me is editing DP Made In Japan. Taking drum solos out etc....
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    i have someplace here a cassette of a Hawkwind "cut and paste" on Soundedit 16 I did of "Death of War" versions for a computer animation I was working on (never finished, as something went wrong with the Spectral Infini-D ray tracing-a skull was supposed to smash through a church window with strange symbols on it to reveal an apocalyptic scene beyond it and then zoom a little past the window. The program decided to not do anything it did in the test runs and do all sorts of stuff I did not want. The section of an old fashioned radio floating in space came out very well though, but it's on a medium I can no longer access). If I find it, I will try to copy it to my computer.
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 08-11-2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: addendum
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    Next up for me is editing DP Made In Japan. Taking drum solos out etc....
    I edited out ALL the banter in the "Deep Purple in Concert" albums, and boy did it improve the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    ^The latest Rhino reissue I believe. The first CD version to have the beginning restored.
    That's right, sorry, should have said, since it wasn't on my original CD either. I must say it does improve the song for me. Beginning abruptly with "Dawn of fusion etc." always seemed weird to me; the ocean and Howe's soft guitar notes actually creates a nice atmosphere first.

Back in the cassette days I cut out Greg Lake's acoustic middle section of "Take a Pebble," which I thought ruined my favorite ELP song.