Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Slide guitar

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Nice lipsync -- the singer's voice is just as loud when he's nowhere near the microphone!
    Not so fast, Jackson! That's not a lip sync. They took the Uriah Heep Live version (you can tell by the little bit of feedback during the intro) and synched it up to footage from a different performance.

But that reminds me of one that I should have posted earlier, the first thing I learned to play when I first started playing slide:

If you want to hear some great acoustic steel guitar playing, check out this gem.

Not my fave tune from them, but it’s sure got some sweet slide guitar from June Millington (schooled in the art of the bottleneck by Lowell George, fact fans):

Joan Armatrading’s “Like Fire” is another tune with a sweet slide guitar part (played by Bryn Haworth).

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“The Sky”-Chick Corea/My Spanish Heart

Has anybody recorded song with slide bass? Not just fretless, but using an actual slide?

[Edit: Anybody famous I mean?]
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 08-08-2013 at 11:13 AM.

Hound dog Taylor, but Syd Barret played some real cool stuff.

In the category of old blues guys, I go with:

Mississippi Fred McDowell
    Furry Lewis
    Bukka White
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Steve Marriott and Roy Wood

Has anybody recorded song with slide bass? Not just fretless, but using an actual slide?

[Edit: Anybody famous I mean?]
    Henry Osbourne is credited with playing "bottle bass" on a couple of the Djam Karet albums. I have a VHS tape of one show from around 89 or 90, something like that, and it looks like he's doing a sort of a glissando guitar type thing. And during the "seagulls" section of Echoes, Roger Waters is using a similar technique to get those low droning sounds.

I'm sure someone has to have tried playing conventional slide guitar technique on bass, it's such an obvious idea, I'm not sure if I've ever heard it done.

Quote Originally Posted by scags View Post
    Syd Barret played some real cool stuff.
    Is there anything besides Remember A Day where he plays slide?

I made quite a study of slide guitarists a few years ago, Ry Cooder's "Paris Texas" soundtrack is one of the best. Rykodisc also released three great slide compilations, "Almost Everybody Slides," "Everybody Slides Vol.2" and "Slide Crazy." Mucho great music therein, from a lot from people I'd never heard of -- Lenny Carlson, Chris Holzhaus, Tinsley Ellis, Frederic Koella, Cyril Lefebvre, Brij Bhushan Kabra. I ended up making a CD-R of my absolute favorite tracks from these and other sources:
    1. Frederic Koella - Back to New Orleans
    2. Mick Clarke - Cry To Me
    3. Sonny Landreth - Zydeco Shuffle
    4. Bonnie Raitt - Thing Called Love
    5. Joanna Connor - Texas
    6. John Hammond - It Hurts Me Too
    7. Tom Principato - Congo Square
    8. Mac Gayden - Take Your Time
    9. David Lindley - Attar
    10. Joanna Connor - Sweet Baby
    11. Big Daddy Kinsey - Can't Let Go
    12. Roy Rogers - Walkin' Blues
    13. Debbie Davis - The Wrong Man For Me
    14. Chris Cain - Don't Let The Same Dog Bite You Twice
    15. Roy Rogers - Black Cat Bones
    16. Dave Hole - The Bottle
    17. Studebaker John - Talk To Me Babt
    18. Chris Darrow - Fight On
    Of the people you mention, along with Landreth, I have seen live Big Daddy Kinsey, Debbie Davis, and Studebaker John. Of those 3 I would rank John as the best. Kinsey was a really old man when I saw him, so in his prime he might have been better. I have seen Davis a couple of times and she is good too.

Steve Sly

There was some guy named Eric Sardinas that opened for Steve Vai that was pretty interesting on slide. The real trick was watching him play "The Attitude Song" on electric dobro slide...

George Harrison is one of my favourites; he eschews most blues slide cliches, and plays wonderful melodies. I think it was his forte, actually.

I've seen Billy Sheehan do some slide work on bass, but it was more of a short trick, though he did it well.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Henry Osbourne is credited with playing "bottle bass" on a couple of the Djam Karet albums. I have a VHS tape of one show from around 89 or 90, something like that, and it looks like he's doing a sort of a glissando guitar type thing. And during the "seagulls" section of Echoes, Roger Waters is using a similar technique to get those low droning sounds.

I'm sure someone has to have tried playing conventional slide guitar technique on bass, it's such an obvious idea, I'm not sure if I've ever heard it done.
    Whoa! You guys never heard of Morphine? Slide 2 string Bass, and man is it cool sounding. Mark Sandman was cool as cool could be.

And I am amazed that I am the first person to mention Lowell George, who is a GOD among slide guitar players.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    There was some guy named Eric Sardinas that opened for Steve Vai that was pretty interesting on slide.
    Johnny Winter was a HUGE influence on Sardinas.

My favorite slide guitar moment is on electric-Steve Howe on the song Maiden Voyage, from 'The Grand Scheme of Things', during what I think of as the 'chorus' (the track is instrumental) Not technical, but SO emotional. He puts a whole lot of emotion in his electric slide playing, but this one tops them all, to me.

Dave Gilmour is quite good also, and I like the way Roine Stolt uses slide to add color to some of his music.

I played with a guy named David Tronzo years ago - he was pretty amazing.

I remember reading about Dave Tronzo in Guitar World back in the late 80's, but I don't think I've ever actually heard any of his work. As I recall, he was one of those NYC "downtown" guys.

yup He cranked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Not a huge fan of slide guitar but to me Warren Haynes is about as good as Derek Trucks as a slide player. Bonnie Rait is another decent slide player.
    Duane Allman and Lowell George were amazing, and big influences on both Trucks and Haynes. Of the living guys, I'd also cite Ry Cooder as a mo'fo.

4. Bonnie Raitt - Thing Called Love
    No disrespect to Bonnie, but Ry Cooder's playing on the original version on John Hiatt's Bring the Family, smokes it - even though he doesn't solo.

I made quite a study of slide guitarists a few years ago, Ry Cooder's "Paris Texas" soundtrack is one of the best.
    On this we agree. Still one of his best. Also, David Lindley should be added to any list of great slide players. And, from Norway, Knut Reiersrud (whose Jazzland album, Gitar, is wonderful, and Farmers Market's Stian Carstensen (who plays pedal steel though).

Lucky you! Another great (and unsung) player. Another great one in the same neighbourhood is Wil Bernard, who I first hear in TJ Kirk, the incredible group that, also featuring Charlie Hunter, John Schott and Scott Amendola, played the weirdest and most wonderful medleys of music by Thelonious Monk, James Brown and Rahsaan Roland Kirk....

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Lucky you! Another great (and unsung) player. Another great one in the same neighbourhood is Wil Bernard, who I first hear in TJ Kirk, the incredible group that, also featuring Charlie Hunter, John Schott and Scott Amendola, played the weirdest and most wonderful medleys of music by Thelonious Monk, James Brown and Rahsaan Roland Kirk....
    They originally wanted to call themselves James T Kirk, but apparently Paramount took issue with that idea, for some strange reason.

Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    And I am amazed that I am the first person to mention Lowell George, who is a GOD among slide guitar players.

I can't believe this went this far without mention of Lowell...and for that matter Paul Barrere. He's my favorite by a long shot.
    K

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Big Kudos for TJ Kirk. I saw them three times. Have both studio albums and their live one. I hope they play live again sometime.

Brett Kull!

sorry I had to say it loud.
    maybe a bit obscure, definitely underappreciated, but for my money i'll put his slide work up against any of the great people already mentioned.

The Misunderstood's Children of the Sun mentioned earlier is an awesome tune. not hearin' much slide though, just a buttload of sick Bigsby type whammy-ing which is always cool in my book.