Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Robert Wyatt '68

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    You got things mixed up a bit. There is a live version of "Moon In June" on "Backwards", but it's just the organ solo.
    The last track on "Backwards" is the same "Moon In June" demo that appears on "'68", except the original pressing of "Backwards" had a version taken from a damaged acetate, while later pressings had a version from a tape, which had been discovered in the meantime.
    The version on "'68" is from the same tape, but with some additional remastering.
    What do you mean i'm mixed up. Thanks for the clarification Aymeric and I really enjoyed your contributions to the liner notes on this cd, it really helped me to enjoy and understand this recording better.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    What do you mean i'm mixed up. Thanks for the clarification Aymeric and I really enjoyed your contributions to the liner notes on this cd, it really helped me to enjoy and understand this recording better.
    Thanks for the appreciation. For my own part I am thankful that Robert agreed to search his memory banks for any remaining memories of a time he doesn't usually like to reminisce about too much. This, I guess, is a token of how proud he remains of this particular set of recordings.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    No.
    The download coupon is only for MP3 (good mp3s, but mp3s).

There is not a practical way for us to offer various formats for download coupons. So, we have to choose one format and the one we choose is mp3, which is the default standard.
    Still, in terms of audio quality, FLAC is the best format.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludovico View Post
    I don't mean to start a debate over audio file formats but for my ears a well encoded mp3 at 320 sounds just as good as flac

No argument there, but that's not what was being discussed.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I don't mean to start a debate over audio file formats but for my ears a well encoded mp3 at 320 sounds just as good as flac
    Too late!!!

Can you expand, please???

I thought mp3 was a format with lots of so-called "useless" information missing, thus allowing for a compact file... So the encoding (which I understand as the way it is "engraved") wouldn't matter much, since the "definitive quality factor" happens before the encoding part. But then again, I'm profane (profoundly ignorant) when it comes to these format matters, so please enlighten me.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

MP3 can sound great
    The problem is the default rate on both itunes and Windows media player was for many years set to 128 ...
    If you takes both flac and a well encoded mp3 at 320 and compare them by a/b testing you will be in for a surprise just how much the mp3 rivals the flac
    a/b testing - comparing 2 audio sources that are carefully balanced and level and matched and being able to toggle between them instantly
    This is the ONLY method to make objective audio evaluations when comparing 2 sources

MP3 can sound great
    The problem is the default rate on both itunes and Windows media player was for many years set to 128 ...
    If you takes both flac and a well encoded mp3 at 320 and compare them by a/b testing you will be in for a surprise just how much the mp3 rivals the flac
    a/b testing - comparing 2 audio sources that are carefully balanced and level and matched and being able to toggle between them instantly
    This is the ONLY method to make objective audio evaluations when comparing 2 sources
    But isn't that exactly the point of mp3?? To make it as light as possible??

By almost tripling it, you're making it much heavier, for transferrring and storing purposes wouldn't you say??

And doesn't that increase from 120 to 320 make it a mp4 of some kind??

Read you tomorrow
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Make a comparison.
    Take a good sounding CD, make mp3s of it, lets say medium quality, 192 kbps. Burn a music CDR of the mp3s.
    Listen to it on a real HIFI fullrange system (not your PC, CarFI, or portable devices) and then listen to the original source.
    Then you know what you are missing. Typically: Details, defined firm bass, ambience, dynamics, instruments fading out sounds un-natural (check cymbals), timbre, staging, the feeling of being there, etc.
    If you use your PC, Car, iPod, etc. as your main listening device, then dont bother.

I bought 68 in FLAC but I know for sure I've heard some MP3 releases off iTunes for the new Zappa releases - and they are really really good sounding and I cant tell the difference.

MP3 can sound great
    Sorry, i disagree with you. I've made dozens of comparisons between 320 MP3 and FLAC when I hesitated between the two to store my audio files on my computer. FLAC is just better sounding with a good hi-fi system. So, maybe Cuneiform does not care much about quality of digital downloads for people who buy LPs, but I do.

So, maybe Cuneiform does not care much about quality of digital downloads for people who buy LPs, but I do.
    That's one theory.

Or maybe:-
    a) they disagree with you (ie they think well-encoded mp3 sounds fine), or
    b) they have to make a dollar - which means selling products which more customers want (mp3 is more widely accepted and supported)

If you want un-compressed audio, buy the CD.

So, maybe Cuneiform does not care much about quality of digital downloads for people who buy LPs, but I do.
    As I already said above,

There is not a practical way for us to offer various formats for download coupons. So, we have to choose one format and the one we choose is mp3, which is the default standard.

Pretty simple. Thank you for understanding that we are a small company. We can't offer everything in every format that every one wants. We made the best decision we were able to make that a majority of the people who buy an lp will be comfortable with. Sorry you don't agree, but we did the best we could for the largest number of our customers.

BTW - did you actually buy the vinyl?
    And did you listen to the download and you are unsatisfied? If so, I am sorry, but, as I said above, I made the decision that I believe the majority of our customers wanted

Or is this the internet and are you griping about something that you haven't even spent money on but are offended by in theory?

Last edited by Steve F.; 01-09-2014 at 04:26 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

chalkpie
    Hey when Ludovico starts his own record label and releases 200+ amazing albums, then they can all be FLAC. Go for it bro.

Maybe it's just me, but this sort of childish petulance reminds me of some bratty soccer mom who complains when she loses cell service and can't check in with her Assbook friends about what type of douche their gonna use....

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I even love the font on the cover - it truly looks like an album cover of its time.
    Yes, smart.