Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Schon to Perry: "Let's talk."

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    See, to me Journey went from doing directionless and empty headed quasi-Santana jam band music to writing songs with passion and heart with Perry as the missing piece of the puzzle. Besides, it worked out so well for them that they got their very own arcade game out of the deal. If that's "selling out" then sign me up for some of that ASAP.
    Well said Sir ! You are 100% on the nail .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Pineda has a history of drug/alcohol abuse. That also led to him once losing his voice due to it. Who knows if there is something going on behind-the-scenes currently that we do not know about.

As for Steve Perry rejoining Journey: I'm for it!

If some of you have not read Steve Perry's message from June 6, 2013 -- please do so. It may also shed more light on why Neal Schon would be interested in reforming with Perry...

http://steveperryonline.net/index.ph...y-june-6-2013/

an excerpt:

You don't have to make stuff up to prove your point. Where did you hear this story of Arnel on drugs? Seems like you're just saying stuff to bash him. Sure, Steve may want to rejoin Journey, but would he change his ways and be a team player? What about Perry's "I never felt like was part of the band" comment on Behind The Music?

Totally agree with TKDye. They became MORE empty headed. Spot on Thom

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Totally agree with TKDye. They became MORE empty headed. Spot on Thom
    That just shows me that you've never really listened to Journey.

Both Santana & Journey went onto become much , much better bands !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Both Santana & Journey went onto become much , much better bands !
    Huh? After what?

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I can't think of any greater evidence of a sell-out than to have a video game made.
    C'mon man...Platinum albums, sold out arenas, biggest band in America for a few years, your pick of the finest groupies AND you get your own personal video game? You gonna turn THAT down in the name of stubbornly continuing to do something that other guys do better than you anyway all so some eggheads won't accuse you of "selling out" thirty-something years after the fact?

Where's that dotted line again?
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Besides...You've gotta be good to yourself when nobody else will.

Banned
    C'mon man...Platinum albums, sold out arenas, biggest band in America for a few years, your pick of the finest groupies AND you get your own personal video game? You gonna turn THAT down in the name of stubbornly continuing to do something that other guys do better than you anyway all so some eggheads won't accuse you of "selling out" thirty-something years after the fact?

Kiss and Aerosmith have had their own video games. Queen has had their own computer game. Does that make them sellouts?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Kiss and Aerosmith have had their own video games. Queen has had their own computer game. Does that make them sellouts?
    I'm not calling them sellouts. I'm applauding their smarts.

Banned
    Sorry, my bad. I wasn't saying it was you. I was just too lazy to find the guy you were quoting. Send that to Scott, then.

I kind of don't see it happening, because at the end Steve's voice was really showing the effects of all the touring. I can't imagine that after twenty years off his voice would stand up to the kind of tour they would want to do and be in the condition to make it worth it. I doubt he could really get it back to its original range and luster. He always complained about touring and the toll it took on his voice - I can't see him leaping at the opportunity to burn himself out again.

Gotta admit, it would get the Journey fans out there waving money in their hands, but I don't think it would pack the payoff that they would want.

It would be a comparatively lame financial move, but I'd be more curious to see an album of new Schon-Perry-Cain songs that work with his current vocal range and then tour that.

Huh? After what?

After Schon left Santana & when Perry joined Journey ¡

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    After Schon left Santana & when Perry joined Journey ¡
    That's just crazy. Well, the first part of your statement is. Are you purposely trying to start trouble? The first three Santana releases are stone cold classics.

Well, if profit is their only motive, then yes. IMO, If a band is big enough to get a video game deal, they're big enough to draw the line and refuse one. But, hey, that's free enterprise.

Well, that's fine if all you care about is making a buck.

And I'm not saying that an artist shouldn't make money, either. I love Journey - both with Perry and Arnel. But I'm not under any illusion that they didn't sell out, either.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

THIS:

Is my favorite Santana album. It is a masterpiece of Bay Area Latin Rock! Neal Schon appears on this album. His playing was scorching, shit hot! This is also the album that made me love harmony guitar leads, long before I ever heard Thin Lizzy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    THIS:

Is my favorite Santana album. It is a masterpiece of Bay Area Latin Rock! Neal Schon appears on this album. His playing was scorching, shit hot! This is also the album that made me love harmony guitar leads, long before I ever heard Thin Lizzy.
    Can't tell Schon's playing from Carlos' on this album.

It's hard to tell the difference since both are just shit hot, but I think Neal uses a little more wha-wha pedal. Neal had a unique wha-wha sound. Neal was disciple of Jimmi Hendrix. He was the young turk of rock guitar in the 70s until Eddie Van Halen swept him away.

If there's more than one note every 16 bars or so, it's probably Neal

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Well, that's fine if all you care about is making a buck.

And I'm not saying that an artist shouldn't make money, either. I love Journey - both with Perry and Arnel. But I'm not under any illusion that they didn't sell out, either.
    Have the members of Journey gone on record to say they sold out? If not, where do you get this from??

You don't have to make stuff up to prove your point.
    Excuse me, but what the HELL are you talking about? What are you accusing me of making up?

*Your postings on PE are littered with these types of confrontational messages from you*

Where did you hear this story of Arnel on drugs?
    It was widely reported. Check out the MANY Journey interviews that speak of this.

SOURCE

Korina Sanchez of TV Patrol World — the flagship national network news broadcast of ABS-CBN in the Philippines — recently conducted a very revealing interview with JOURNEY's Filipino lead vocalist Arnel Pineda.

He was once an unknown singer who is now suddenly being mobbed in America as the lead vocalist of the legendary American rock group JOURNEY. Pineda, born and raised in Sampaloc (in Manila), grew up in poverty and often slept in in Luneta, a park in Manila. Along the way, he tried using illegal drugs and became addicted — "to the point that I wished that I was dead," he said.

For Arnel's family, especially his wife Cherry, this was the most miserable thing that had ever happened to them. She told TV Patrol World, "When he gets drunk, he cries, so I asked him, 'What is the problem?' And then I found out he was using drugs."

Arnel lost his mother early in his life when she died of a lung disease. He said that it was the memory of his mother that prevented him from totally becoming consumed by drugs. "I think my mother was there all the time," he said. "Every time I thought I was almost dying and gave up hope in my life, I felt like she was whispering in my ear and asking me, 'Why are you doing this?'"

Because of drugs, Arnel lost almost everything. "It was my wife who saved me," he revealed. "It was my birthday and we were having fun. I was high on drugs; I was high on alcohol. While [Cherry] was upstairs, she was packing her bag. When I went up, she told me she was leaving and will have to let me go. So that woke me up."
    SOURCE

Question:
    You were also very open about your vices in the documentary—alcohol, drugs, etc.

Pineda: Because I want people to see that these things can really negatively affect our lives. I want to tell all the dreamers out there that they should stay away from vices if they want to succeed; that they need training, guidance and support.
    =========

Seems like you're just saying stuff to bash him.
    You are saying I want to bash Arnel Pineda? How about this, JIF... show me my words where you claim I bash Arnel Pineda.

In your own words:

Are you purposely trying to start trouble?

Ok, now back to the subject...

Check out this article with Arnel. Makes the Schon olive branch seem not so odd after all:

SOURCE

Question: You were supposed to have a concert here last March 21. Why was it canceled?

Pineda: It was because of sluggish ticket sales. And I think it was just wrong timing—kids were graduating and people were preparing for Holy Week. Hopefully we can do it in 2015 or earlier. This year and the next are already packed.

Question: You mentioned that the band’s going on a hiatus after 2016? Will you resume touring after?

Pineda: We’re going to finish our commitments with Live Nation Entertainment… It depends if there’s still a demand for us to be up onstage. And if there’s clamor from fans for us to perform in different places, then we’ll go out.

Question: What will you do during the band’s hiatus?

Pineda: I’m working on a solo album. I already have 12 songs which I’ve recorded in my home studio. I’ll try to promote that.

Banned
    Have the members of Journey gone on record to say they sold out? If not, where do you get this from??

Excuse me, but what the HELL are you talking about? What are you accusing me of making up?

*Your postings on PE are littered with these types of confrontational messages from you*

It was widely reported. Check out the MANY Journey interviews that speak of this.

SOURCE

SOURCE

=========

You are saying I want to bash Arnel Pineda? How about this, JIF... show me my words where you claim I bash Arnel Pineda.

In your own words:
    It was never reported that Arnel was on drugs. Where did you hear about this? Can you post links to articles? Are you sure you don't have him confused with Steve Augeri, who had problems with his voice for a long time and had to leave Journey because of it? Update: wow!! Blabbermouth and The Inquirer. There's top music journalism right there.

I defy you to find any artist who will admit to selling out.

C'mon, man.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

That's just crazy. Well, the first part of your statement is. Are you purposely trying to start trouble? The first three Santana releases are stone cold classics.

He went onto much greater things with Journey & Santana went onto much better things without him . He defineatly found his niche with Journey.