Thread: Peter Hammill / Gary Lucas to release "Otherworld"

Peter Hammill / Gary Lucas to release "Otherworld"

Peter Hammill and Gary Lucas sign to Esoteric Antenna!

Esoteric Antenna, a label of the Cherry Red Records Group, are pleased to announce the signing of Peter Hammill and Gary Lucas to the label for their collaborative album 'Otherworld'. This record combines two of the most unique and original talents in music. Peter Hammill's work as an imaginative solo artist and with Van Der Graaf Generator has earned respect and praise globally, whilst Gary Lucas has been hailed as "The Thinking Man's guitar hero" by New Yorker magazine and is known for his solo work (as one the World's most original guitarists) and his work with Captain Beefheart.

'Otherworld' will be released on the Esoteric Antenna label on February 3rd 2014.

I'm not familiar with Gary Lucas, but Peter Hammill's recent material has been very good so I'll be sure to check this one out.

This just may be .... er... progressive. Looking forward to it.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Gary Lucas played with Jeff Buckley, among many others, and got co-writing credits on two tracks on Buckley's "Grace" album.

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    Gary Lucas played with Jeff Buckley, among many others, and got co-writing credits on two tracks on Buckley's "Grace" album.
    I love Grace but didn't know about Lucas. I'm sure I've heard him on other albums too without realizing it.

I'm very interested to hear the result of this collaboration!

Auto-buy.

^^^

Yep.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Lucas is/was [not sure it's still a going concern] also a founding member and guitarist of the "music of Captain Beefheart" project Fast'n'Bulbous which has released a couple of excellent CDs on Cuneiform.

Obviously an auto-buy for me, as a die-hard fan of PH and Beefheart...
    I wonder, what is the musical style of this? Mostly instrumental or song oriented?
    Experimental/ improvisational a-la loops and reels/sonix etc or more composed?

Does Lucas play anything besides guitar? Just wondering if PH will handle all the other instruments.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Obviously an auto-buy for me, as a die-hard fan of PH and Beefheart...
    I wonder, what is the musical style of this? Mostly instrumental or song oriented?
    Experimental/ improvisational a-la loops and reels/sonix etc or more composed?
    I don't know anything about it and I'm only guessing, but I'll wager that its along the loops & reels / sonix end of things (I'd be pleasantly surprised if its a standard song-based release)