Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: King Crimson - the definitive remix/remasters?

Quote Originally Posted by old school View Post
    Red 30th or "Definitive Edition"?
    Neither, IMO. If you want the absolute best, that is.

For Red, I think the original E'G (circa 1987) is stunning. I prefer it to the 30th. The "DE" is also good. Maybe the only DE that was any good, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I know it's OOP, but have you heard the DCC Gold "Aqualung"?
    After hearing good things about it but being somewhat skeptical for whatever reason (probably because I already liked the DCC and the original UK Chrysalis), I finally tracked down the 2nd US Chrysalis CD of Aqualung. This was the corrected pressing with the full "Wind Up." It sounds very similar to the hi-res flat transfer of the master tape that was in the recent box set, so I think it probably represents the sound of the master tapes pretty well. It cost me $5. Frankly, I think it's right there with the DCC and it costs about what ... $200 less?
    Last edited by JeffCarney; 08-03-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    There's an ointment for that.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

You haven't owned it for 8 years longer than it existed.
    Technically, he isn't wrong! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    This is the way I went. I had the "definitive editions", then a friend of mind played me some of the 30ths when they came out. I later wanted to get them, but the only ones available were the jewel case versions. I eventually bought all of the 30th minis by eBay, trade, etc.

They were quite an improvement, imo. Particularly an album like Islands really came to life for me after that.
    Islands was by far the most improved. I believe the original E'G and the "Definitive Edition" were made from the damaged Polydor tape. The 30th lacked the crackling in one channel that has apparently plagued "Formentera Lady" on many reissue LPs but was not on the original Island vinyl. My guess is that they tracked down that Island Records source tape. What an amazing production this album was and the 30th CD really shines.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Neither, IMO. If you want the absolute best, that is.

For Red, I think the original E'G (circa 1987) is stunning. I prefer it to the 30th. The "DE" is also good. Maybe the only DE that was any good, IMO.
    I have always liked the "Definitive Edition" of Red I had no idea about the original E'G how much better is it then the "DE"?

Quote Originally Posted by old school View Post
    I have always liked the "Definitive Edition" of Red I had no idea about the original E'G how much better is it then the "DE"?
    Not huge but as I recall the DE seems to have a bit of a smiley EQ curve in comparison. The original E'G of Red is smoother and just an amazing CD. It is sought after so be prepared to pay about $40 for it if you find the real thing. Confusingly, some UK E'G CDs pressed by Nimbus that look like the original E'G are the Definitive Edition. No idea why this is the case but I guess some early 90s UK issues didn't have the "Remastered by Robert Fripp and Tony Arnold" credit, even though they were.

Hence, it's tough to get "lucky" and find one. You almost have to just bite the bullet and buy from someone who can guarantee you that you are getting the original and not a DE. It really depends how much the album means to you as to whether this is worth the time and money. I'm sure the Hoffman site has info about what to look for and what the EAC peak levels are on the original compared to the DE.

You haven't owned it for 8 years longer than it existed.
    Ooops.... I hazve a French-KB laptop (with no numerical pad) where the numbers are hidden under punctuation ,accented letters (such as éèçà) and other caballistic signs... (that's my alibi, anyway)

I meant 29 years...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Not huge but as I recall the DE seems to have a bit of a smiley EQ curve in comparison. The original E'G of Red is smoother and just an amazing CD. It is sought after so be prepared to pay about $40 for it if you find the real thing. Confusingly, some UK E'G CDs pressed by Nimbus that look like the original E'G are the Definitive Edition. No idea why this is the case but I guess some early 90s UK issues didn't have the "Remastered by Robert Fripp and Tony Arnold" credit, even though they were.

Hence, it's tough to get "lucky" and find one. You almost have to just bite the bullet and buy from someone who can guarantee you that you are getting the original and not a DE. It really depends how much the album means to you as to whether this is worth the time and money. I'm sure the Hoffman site has info about what to look for and what the EAC peak levels are on the original compared to the DE.
    Thanks Jeff I think the "DE" is good for me anyway the new stereo mix for 2013 is coming out will check that one out thanks again.

chalkpie

Cool - I still have the old suckers as well as the newer 30th. I need to A/B "Red", but glad to know the original EG is still great.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    ITCHCOCK .
    Loved his movies.North By Northwest and Rear Window may be my faves.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Loved his movies.North By Northwest and Rear Window may be my faves.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I suspect that people will find the sound of Wilson's remixes so dated 10-20 years from now that they will be available for 5 cents on the dollar all over Amazon and eBay. But, I could certainly be wrong.
    I think that posterity inclined enough to go back into the depth of pop culture to listen to King Crimson will be, first and foremost, driven to get as authentic as possible. So the Wilson remixes will be a sideshow rather than the main attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    This is the way I went. I had the "definitive editions", then a friend of mind played me some of the 30ths when they came out. I later wanted to get them, but the only ones available were the jewel case versions. I eventually bought all of the 30th minis by eBay, trade, etc.

They were quite an improvement, imo. Particularly an album like Islands really came to life for me after that.
    Beat was the one that really came alive to me. But then, I didn't have Islands before.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Listening to the Wilson remaster of Aqualung right now. It is true that there is some sterility in the sound - a bit more processed BUT, the bottom end and the crunch that should have been heard from the day this was originally released are finally there. While this is one of my favorite Tull records, it's like Yessongs, I wish it sounded like it should. I wouldn't say Wilson's mix is definitive but damn, I turned up the intro to Locomotive Breath and what was coming out of my speakers was what I always wanted to hear in my head. Bass, drums, a fatter guitar.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I just bought the 40th edition of LTIA (2 disc). And I'm surprised by how much I dislike the new stereo mix. I don't usually get worked up about this mix or that mix, the essence of the music is what matters. But Steven Wilson has really sucked the life out of the thing, especially LTIA 1. To me the new mix sounds like some Berklee students playing the piece perfectly note-for-note but really really afraid to mess up. Not so big a deal on the other tracks.

So I strongly prefer the 30th, or even the "definitive ed". I would be interested in what others think... But here's the rub: with the 40th, you get the full original Beat Club video (4o minutes), which is absolutely essential. So you may want to buy them both. The 40th DVD does have the 30th ed. on it, but only in DVD audio.
    Horses for courses. I find the original mix almost unlistenable in any form. Only with the Wilson Remix have i been able to enjoy LTIA fully.
    Last edited by Kim Olesen; 08-12-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

If you have 24-bit toys, then opt for the 40th anniversary CD/DVD combos. You get the 30th anniversary masters in 24-bit quality, plus the added SW stereo and surround remixes on the DVD, and other bonus material. The 40th anniversary CDs all have the SW stereo remix. With the DVD, you decide which mix is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    Horses for courses. I find the original mix almost unlistenable in any form. Only with the Wilson Remix have i been able to enjoy LTIA fully.
    What exactly did you not like about the original mix? Why unlistenable? What does the SW mix do to improve the sound for you? I do not mean to criticize but I am interested in how we hear things so differently...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    What exactly did you not like about the original mix? Why unlistenable? What does the SW mix do to improve the sound for you? I do not mean to criticize but I am interested in how we hear things so differently...
    No offense taken don't worry about that :-)

I dislike the way everything has a layer of distortion over it on the original mix. It makes the drums sound like cartbox cases and takes all life (that i suspected was on the tape but never made it through in the original mix) out of the instruments. The drums and vocals in particular. Steve Wilsons mix makes the instruments breathe. It does not sound like a band in an all too small room playing on a pa with the speakers blown. But you know, i'm really very particular about what i like and dislike in productions. This comes from having produced and co-produced albums myself. I think this makes me able to hear what could have been done in productions. I can hear the unrealised potential. And that's how i hear LTIA. SW brought out the potential of what was committed to tape. The original mix engineer failed to do that.

But i fully respect that some people would say don't mess with the original. AND i do find some remixes unnesesary. A Trick Of The Tail and Selling England By The Pound to name some.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Aqualung had a bad sound to begin with. Ian Anderson has mentioned that many times in his interviews.

Most of Wilson's remasters are very good and they usually contain the original mix in the second cd. For someone who doesn't have any cd version i think it's a good choice.
    If you want to save money and don't need 5.1 remixes you can get the 30th anniversary at half the price, nothing wrong with that, they sound very good.

Given your comments, I would just get the 30ths if you just want good sounding versions of the original mixes. If you are curious about the Steven Wilson remixes, you could get the 40ths, which do include the 30ths as well as various bonus material. The 30ths you can probably buy for 8-10 dollars each. The Wilson 40th 2CD sets will probably be 18-20 dollars each.
    Is there a simple way to extract the 30ths off the (40th) DVD's and save them as FLACs, WAVs or mp3's? The software I have seems to just pull off the 5.1 tracks, but not remainder of the bonus DVD material.

Quote Originally Posted by Akustika View Post
    Is there a simple way to extract the 30ths off the (40th) DVD's and save them as FLACs, WAVs or mp3's? The software I have seems to just pull off the 5.1 tracks, but not remainder of the bonus DVD material.
    One word: Xilisoft.

Quote Originally Posted by Akustika View Post
    I've always used DVD-Audio-Explorer (Google it at Video Help) to extract the WAV files off my KC DVDs. It's no longer developed. I guess it does all it needs to. Zip files can be downloaded at Video Help. Easy to use. You can convert to FLAC or whatever after DVD-A-E has extracted.

^^ Thanks! I will check both these out!

Good point. The "Original Master Edition."

I prefer the 30th to this, and the fact that only one side of the 30th was from the master tape doesn't bother me. The OME is just too damned bright, IMO.
    Hi Jeff,

I thought you were a fan of the early Japanese black triangle ones?