Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Genesis Live was released forty years ago this week

You guys probably already know this, but disc 3 of Genesis Archive 67-75 has a great live version of SR, though I believe it's from the Selling England tour.

I really like Genesis Live. The only thing to not like is that it's a single album. Great tones from all the instruments, and the band was really starting to gel.

^Yes, that 'Supper's Ready' has some nice 90s vocal overdubs. Every time I play that set I get annoyed, such a shame, so I don't play it too much.

Love this album. Easily in my Genesis all-time top 5. So much energy, and great thick wall of sound. I'd love to time-machine back to just about any Genesis tour (except maybe the We Can't Dance tour .. meh), but this would probably be the first stop.
    flute juice

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    What year was this?... as I recall I bought Foxtrot, Nursery Cryme and Live all in the cut out section for $1.99.. full retail for all other Genesis selections as I recall..
    1990, as I said at the beginning. I could be wrong about the price, but it was somewhere in the $10 range (might have been 8 or 9, I can't recall). Anyway, the only thing I ever got for that cheap was a cassette copy of Trespass a year or two later.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Yes, that 'Supper's Ready' has some nice 90s vocal overdubs. Every time I play that set I get annoyed, such a shame, so I don't play it too much.

You know, I wasn't aware of this for a few years after I bought it. I still think it's great. What's strange is that I've had a bootleg of that very show on CD since the early 90's, and I still didn't notice the vocal overdubs. Once I knew they were on there, it became obvious when I compared the bootleg to the box set. I still can't understand why PG felt it was necessary.

^In the case of the Shrine show, I'd never heard the original and it was abundantly clear to me how much had been changed, if you know how PG sounded over the years. Sad, because without that it would have been as important a release to me as the studio albums. The track selection was spot on as well.

If they had put this out as a double at the time, I think a 4th studio side was certainly viable. It could have been an outlet for material they were doing then- the heavier 'Going Out To Get You' and 'Wooden Mask' that were not released plus the likes of 'Happy The Man' and 'Twilight Alehouse'.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    You guys probably already know this, but disc 3 of Genesis Archive 67-75 has a great live version of SR, though I believe it's from the Selling England tour.

I really like Genesis Live. The only thing to not like is that it's a single album. Great tones from all the instruments, and the band was really starting to gel.
    Better version (less overdubs) of Selling England SR can be found on the Rainbow Live '73 disc that came with the live boxed set; or if you must have the earlier tour version hunt down Live at Leicester.

So what all was played on the Foxtrot tour? I've been trying to follow along in this thread, and I'm not sure I've caught everything.

There's obviously the material on Genesis Live plus "Supper's Ready." Other than that, "Salmacis," "Can-Utility," and "Twilight Alehouse"? But not all of them at all the shows?

I've seen TMB doing two Foxtrot shows. At one show they played "Salmacis" as the final encore, and they did "Can-Utility" at the other. That's all I really have to go from.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    1990, as I said at the beginning. I could be wrong about the price, but it was somewhere in the $10 range (might have been 8 or 9, I can't recall). Anyway, the only thing I ever got for that cheap was a cassette copy of Trespass a year or two later.
    Ooops... my bad... I obviously skipped right over that one.. guess my region during the mid 70's was huge on cut outs... we always had 100+ albums to choose from... and great stuff mixed in with the obvious selection from the time... several Caravan albums were always in those bins.. hell I even bought Let it Be for $1.99... never saw any other Beatles albums in the cut outs..

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Probably not in the US, because it wasn't released here for at least another year (It was the last of the badly pressed Charisma/Buddah albums).

I was one of those geeks who mailed away to JEM Records. I got this, Commoners Crown (Steeleye), the live ELO album and a few more goodies that way. $5.50 each, as I recall.
    I imagine it could have been found in the import record bin along with PFM, Focus, Caravan and other prog bands who had not quite broken really big yet.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

There is an amazing sounding boot of this, pre-mastering, with the mix a little more raw. The album sounds better overall, but it does almost compare. I just took the album, mixed in the missing pieces and made my own Genesis Live, and I am a happy camper!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    So what all was played on the Foxtrot tour? I've been trying to follow along in this thread, and I'm not sure I've caught everything.

There's obviously the material on Genesis Live plus "Supper's Ready." Other than that, "Salmacis," "Can-Utility," and "Twilight Alehouse"? But not all of them at all the shows?

I've seen TMB doing two Foxtrot shows. At one show they played "Salmacis" as the final encore, and they did "Can-Utility" at the other. That's all I really have to go from.
    Well wasn't there in person, but early Genesis tours tended to change around the track listing more than on the later ones. I think by the time Genesis Live was recorded they were right at the end of the Foxtrot tour and the setlist was as on the album plus SR. Live at the rainbow recorded later in 1973 was after they switched to the Selling England tour.

^ Thanks for the info!

BigO just re-posted a nice BBC Genesis recording from the '72 era..

BBC In Concert, Paris Theatre, London, UK. March 2, 1972
    Track 01. Intro
    Track 02. Fountain Of Salmacis
    Track 03. Intro
    Track 04. Musical Box Story
    Track 05. The Musical Box
    Track 06. Intro
    Track 07. The Return Of The Giant Hogweed

Top Gear, BBC, London. September 25, 1972
    Track 08. Twilight Alehouse
    Track 09. Get ‘Em Out By Friday
    Track 10. Watcher of the Skies