Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New BEN MONDER album--Hydra

New BEN MONDER album--Hydra

Another intense and crazy ride. Fans should pick it up. 3 worldless vocalists this time, and some off-the-charts insane wooly lead playing, plus the ridiculous arpeggiated chordal stuff he's known for.....I've only listened to it twice, so far, but it's the equal of Oceana in my book, and may surpass it.

I will definitely be picking this up!

Well this is bound to be a 20 page thread!

At any rate, I'm very interested!

it's fantastic. just finished playing it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Is this for sale of his website? Damn, I might have to get this.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Autobuy. Reviewed in the NYT a couple of days ago: http://tinyurl.com/k4x3f3r
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I'm in.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Thanks for that review from the NYT...pretty accurate. Though I note they left off some detail-Pattitucci does indeed play bass on this, on four tracks, while Skuli S. is on two tracks.. and Ben supplies the bass himself, on track 4, called "39."
    Also, Theo's vocals are all over the record, of course, but Gian Slater and Martha Cluver both contribute vocals to "Postlude" as well as one other track each. "Postlude" has Theo as well--so, there are three voices on that track.

The sixth tune, "Tredecadrome," starts out like a prog metal, tune, indeed....until it morphs into Monderisms of it's own.

Yeah, I'm listening to it again, and I give it the edge over Oceana.

Cool. Thanks for letting us know.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

^^^^^
    Ditto! I'll be picking up a copy. Thanks!

Well, the CD seems to be in short supply. Backordered at 3 different online retailers.
    Last edited by Reid; 08-01-2013 at 01:22 AM.

Wideopenears - thanks for the head's up on this! I didn't realize it was out. Also thanks for the clarification on the NYT article - the fact that Skuli is on this means it will be on my iPod before this morning's commute!

Oops... Just saw that it's a preorder until 8/27 on iTunes...

Found it on Amazon... Listening now.
    Last edited by mcdonap; 08-01-2013 at 07:32 AM.

Evidently this is not available in physical form until the end of the month, and the MP3 link on Amazon is gone (wouldn't have interested me anyway). In the meantime, though, I bought his most recent two sides directly from his site, where he's selling everything from his back-catalog for $10 each, if anyone's interested...
    David

There was apparently a problem with the master and even though copies were produced (I was sent a promo) it was delayed for general release for a few weeks while they re-do the pressing.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info!
    David

I got mine in the Recent Arrivals Used bin at Amoeba SF. (Score!!!) but I think I saw a sealed copy in the Monder section.....hmmmm....

Added to the "buy this" list. I really enjoyed Oceana.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I got mine in the Recent Arrivals Used bin at Amoeba SF. (Score!!!) but I think I saw a sealed copy in the Monder section.....hmmmm....
    Some reviewer who received a copy, didn't want it and didn't even have the f$#%king decency to wait til after street date before trading it in at the second hand store.

Guys like that are an embarrassment to guys like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    There was apparently a problem with the master and even though copies were produced (I was sent a promo) it was delayed for general release for a few weeks while they re-do the pressing.
    Ahh. Thanks.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman
    Some reviewer who received a copy....
    You're likely right, John. I will do what I can to ensure more people hear about the release, though.

Streamed by CBC for 2 weeks:

http://music.cbc.ca/#/blogs/2013/8/F...n-Monder-Hydra

A thoughtful review from a thoughtful musician:

"A composer who just happens to play rock. That's what Frank Zappa once referred to himself as and it's turning out that his compositions are becoming his greatest legacy. Ben's music not only makes this point but like Wayne Shorter, his contribution to the body of music and its possibilities can only be called jazz for their origins. This is what true jazz artists strive for their whole lives: a new place, arrived at logically and totally his own.
    These are compositions, through composed but using the tools of modern improvisational jazz. Each project Ben does under his own name seems to move further away from the 32 bar changes/theme and variation model. It demands a lot of the listener, including an ability and willingness to listen really carefully to the forms, (poly)rhythms and voice led textures.
    I remember the first time I heard a Beethoven symphony, it was when I was young and it was a concert. I thought "this is too long-it's just TOO MUCH" because I didn't have the tools to know the length and breadth of what I was hearing. Now I know them intimately and love them deeply. I've just listened through twice and each time my appreciation deepened. I'm looking forward to listening to and buying this, and I already love it. I don't expect I will ever hear even a piece of this live; but I'll know it's there in everything else he will be playing."

You're likely right, John. I will do what I can to ensure more people hear about the release, though.
    To be clear: not blaming you; you see it in a store, you buy it....nothing wrong with that. No, it's the reviewer (and it's writers who account for 95% of this kind of thing, btw) who I was aiming my torch at.

You? No problem. Whoever put it up for sale at a used shop that wouldn't necessarily have known any better either? For shame!

I knew you weren't pointing to me, John...but thanks for the words.

Back in the days of used vinyl, I got quite a few used LP's from radio stations, as well....

I knew you weren't pointing to me, John...but thanks for the words.

Back in the days of used vinyl, I got quite a few used LP's from radio stations, as well....
    Nothing wrong with that (for the most part); my issue is folks who get promotional material putting it out in the world before release date. These days, it's hard enough for labels and artists without having to deal with that, too.

Cheers!
    John

The sixth tune, "Tredecadrome," starts out like a prog metal, tune, indeed....until it morphs into Monderisms of it's own.

Yeah, I'm listening to it again, and I give it the edge over Oceana.
    I'm far from absorbing all of the music on this album, but after listening to Tredecadrome last night, I feel like Monder and Bleckmann have reached new heights. The chamber vocal overdubs on this tune are fantastic! I like this one even more than Rooms Of Light, which is the "heavy rock" type composition on Oceana.