Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Nektar - 43rd Anniversary

For those in the North-west USA, a July date in Seattle has just been confirmed, making EIGHT Nektar summer shows on sale so far.
    More WILL follow (Portland etc.), but some may also change.
    http://www.thenektarproject.com/geew...013-tour-dates

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    For those in the North-west USA, a July date in Seattle has just been confirmed, making EIGHT Nektar summer shows on sale so far.
    More WILL follow (Portland etc.)
    Thanks again for the update, Mick.

More WILL follow (Portland etc.), but some may also change.
    http://www.thenektarproject.com/geew...013-tour-dates
    Thanks, Mick. I hope you keep the Portland date, as that's the closest city to me on your tour schedule.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Hunnibee View Post
    Thanks, Mick. I hope you keep the Portland date, as that's the closest city to me on your tour schedule.
    Not my schedule luv, I'm only the messenger, as I only have ties to the Nektar NAME, not the band.
    However, I am still scratching my head at the venue sequence, as I'd figured the Northwest would deserve a full weekend (rather than mid-week), however, as that Thursday is also the Fourth of July, celebrating at the Seattle date, then possibly Portland early on Thursday.... it could should work out quite well.
    I'd still suggest waiting a little longer to see what happens, as tour planning is not always rocket science..lol.
    Last edited by Mick; 04-05-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Alrighty, thanks, Mick. I'll just try to be patient... and play a little Remember the Future while I wait.

I'm hoping Nektar can make a Bay Area stop this summer. I see they provided a link to the upcoming closure of The Last Day Saloon in Santa Rosa on the site. I'm sure another venue can be found.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I see they provided a link to the upcoming closure of The Last Day Saloon in Santa Rosa on the site.
    That was my personal doing Rob, as I thought that article quite relevant.
    I am doing my best to keep fans informed of all updates ASAP, while most news of this tour (from the official Nektar site) seems bathed in secrecy.
    I understand that the band would like to wait, then announce their COMPLETE tour once it is all finalized, but meanwhile true fans of BOTH bands are chomping at the bit to see them ANYWHERE, yet as close to their homes as possible.
    You've already seen the master tour plan, so YOU can try to fill in the open dates geographically, just as I have. Scream to spread the word loud enough now, and if feasible, the tour may actually come even closer!

Nice.

I just bought my ticket for the Seattle show.

I'm bummed if they play Portland on July 4. I've got family coming for the holiday, and we will be at the beach for fireworks and the rest of the weekend. July 5 would work out better because I can drive into town for the concert and then go back to Seaside afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunnibee View Post
    I'm bummed if they play Portland on July 4.
    Well Melissa, although Portland usually works perfectly into a date around Seattle, THIS tour may skip to a venue further down the left coast (if they play on the 4th) as the "other" touring Wishbone Ash just played the Hawthorne Theater in March.
    It will ultimately depend upon whether the area promoters think they can fill the seats.

It will ultimately depend upon whether the area promoters think they can fill the seats.
    I understand this comment, as this is the response I received from a local
    venue in Buffalo, that I suggested trying to get Nektar to perform:

"Thank you for your recommendation. Unfortunately, our research revealed the show would be a financial risk we are unable to take a chance on".

Whether they actually did the research, I might doubt it (IMO).

Scott

Unfortunately Scott, most bands need a huge positive PR boost at least 3 months prior to any tour in order to put them in a more desirable situation at the box office. A bio "flyer" from a record company just won't do it these days... a "new" album won't help either anymore... unless it gets PRE-tour airplay on commercial, public and/or college radio... or even (dare I hint) ...a guest spot on a late night TV show.
    The public won't become aware of ANY band unless they are MADE aware by the media... as people can't "want" anything that they don't know exists. A few dedicated followers here (plus on the respective band sites) are the ONLY people who actually KNOW about this upcoming tour, and we just aren't a big enough combined number of people to make certain area ticket sales worthwhile.
    Ya getz nuttin' fer nuttin! ...so management HAS to co-ordinate their overall game plan and get some local radio stations involved with timely kick-ass promo packages, combined with one agreed pre-release musical track from a new album to put into "rotation" on their playlists, THEN suggest local ticket give-aways (the BEST and cheapest promotional tool ever).
    Never underestimate the power of COLLEGE radio, as i-pods, facebook, CDs etc. are all "inside" boxes which each individual listener creates... meanwhile there is a much wider promotional value on the air waves (which 80% of the general public listens to) then specific stations can be pinpointed to fit the particular musical genre of any band.... providing the piece will fit into the stations' format.
    A little "off-topic" maybe.... but sometimes we should look at the options, and use all of them.
    I've already had 4 different classic Nektar tracks played on my local NJ station in the past 30 days... however, a "new" piece might have been more exciting for listeners. Last Thursday, I had a lady call in to say she and her "date" went to see Nektar at the Capitol in Passaic in May of '75.... they later married... and they're still married... but until I mentioned it, she had no idea that Nektar was still playing, making albums or touring!
    Now they may both go to BB Kings or Sellersville in June, the nearest venues (so far) to northwestern New Jersey.
    Last edited by Mick; 04-20-2013 at 06:51 PM.

After reading Mick's statements I'm left with the question as to why the current incarnation of Nektar hasn't received commercial success. The music is good, so why not? To me, it all boils down to promotion. Either the band doesn't recognize the value of promotion, or they don't want to pay for it, or they can't pay for it, or they hire on promotional agents who really should be doing something else for a living. Whatever is the answer, unless there's a significant change, this band will go quietly into the night.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like