Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys think of Ozzy's performance here?

An interesting discussion thus far. I'm not aiming to criticize, I want to hold on to my favourite bands as long as possible too. It's just that sometimes there are such glaring problems that they can't be overlooked - at least, not by me. For those that can still go and enjoy this, I think that's great. I still love Ian Anderson even with his diminished voice so I know where people are coming from on this issue. Here's another video from two nights ago:

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Everyone's posting videos of Iron Man. Is this the song he's having the most trouble with or is he just having trouble with every song?

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Everyone's posting videos of Iron Man. Is this the song he's having the most trouble with or is he just having trouble with every song?
    That last one is just one that a friend e-mailed me in a separate discussion.

Here's "Into The Void" followed by "Paranoid":

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Something will come out about his eventually but Ozzy's hearing and perception is not right. Something is wrong with him that transcends "age."

Many clips on YouTube make evident that he keeps trying to get the monitors (in ear?) just right. Apparently at one show he ripped them out after a few songs. You can see him motion to the guy and it seems that it's something they are attempting to get just perfect for him.

Then you see this review from the show two days ago. It is basically glowing. I'm very surprised more about Osbourne's voice isn't discussed in this review because the YouTube clips make it clear that while there has been some improvement, he is still, way way off far too much.

http://www.southflorida.com/events/s...,2451078.story

"Age Of Reason" with horrible vocals but Iommi is so completely ridiculous it almost doesn't matter ...

"Methademic" with far from perfect but much more tolerable vocals. If he could sing everything on this level I don't think many would complain. Note at the beginning where he seems to convey something to the monitor mix folks. Seems pleased?

I played the first few minutes of the Into The Void video and had to stop as soon as Ozzy started singing. God he's awful. Completely off key. I know that at this point in their career it's almost like a farewell tour. I think as long as Tony and Geezer can keep playing live and being creative there will always be a Black Sabbath in one form or another. Ozzy's done though. It's painful to watch (even for a few seconds). How's he gonna finish the tour?

Yeesh. I never planned on seeing this tour as I don't enjoy big concerts anymore, but if I was going to go, it would be for the sole purpose of enjoying Iommi and Ward. I normally hate it when people suggest it's time for an artist to "hang it up", but judging by these clips and most of the recent bootlegs I've heard, it appears that Ozzy's days as a live singer are sadly coming to an end...

^I guess you mean Iommi and Butler- Bill Ward is not involved, though the drummer seems to be doing a good job.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Something will come out about his eventually but Ozzy's hearing and perception is not right. Something is wrong with him that transcends "age."

Many clips on YouTube make evident that he keeps trying to get the monitors (in ear?) just right. Apparently at one show he ripped them out after a few songs. You can see him motion to the guy and it seems that it's something they are attempting to get just perfect for him.

Then you see this review from the show two days ago. It is basically glowing. I'm very surprised more about Osbourne's voice isn't discussed in this review because the YouTube clips make it clear that while there has been some improvement, he is still, way way off far too much.

http://www.southflorida.com/events/s...,2451078.story
    It definitely seems like something technical. IMHO Ozzy's never been a great singer, but it's not like these songs are all that vocally demanding. His voice isn't cracking and he isn't sounding OK in parts of songs and bad in other parts like you might expect from him in a given performance. When he is off he is completely off for entire songs. That would indicate that either his ears or monitors are at fault here, not his singing ability per se.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^I guess you mean Iommi and Butler- Bill Ward is not involved, though the drummer seems to be doing a good job.
    Correct. Freudian slip I guess!

Ozzy sounds horrible. Dio would sound better right at this moment! For me liking hard rock/metal a lot, Sabbath was never a band I got into. Dio solo was the key to my heart.

I was at the health club a little while ago and I noticed a guy wearing a Black Sabbath concert T from Wednesday's show at Cruzan in WPB. I asked him how the concert was. He said it was great. Then I asked him how Ozzy sounded. He said Ozzy was fine, the show was fantastic. He also said Ozzy could never sing to begin with so it made no difference to him . You know, it's not so much that I mind driving to WPB to see a big rock act, it's just that on a Wednesday I'd have to take a couple days off work. At the moment it's just not convenient. Anyway ......

Regarding rock stars who should hang it up: I read something on the Classic Rock site that Lemmy had to cut the Motorhead performance short (at Whaken) because of his ongoing health issues. The guy's had internal bleeding. He needs to stop touring according to his doctors, and yet the guy is so stubborn and goes out there on the road anyway. At what point do you tell this guy that his dogged determination is no longer admirable? None of us will ever know what guys like Ozzy and Lemmy are thinking in those brains of their's. Geezer and Tony can play untill they drop dead and they'll still sound good, but Ozzy, and all lead singers who've gotten long on the tooth need to call it a day. I'm mainly referring to live performance. In the studio Ozzy, Ian Anderson, etc. their voices can be autotuned and bum notes can be punched out (or whatever it's called).

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Ozzy sounds horrible. Dio would sound better right at this moment! For me liking hard rock/metal a lot, Sabbath was never a band I got into. Dio solo was the key to my heart.
    Isn't Dio dead?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Isn't Dio dead?
    Think that's his point

Lemmy has every intention of dying on the road; if it's onstage all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    This makes less sense to me than just about anything I've ever read here.

Even the best "Dio solo" is watered down, third cousin's stepchild's Heaven and Hell.

If you love Dio, you really should revisit the Sabbath albums with Dio. There's a reason they are held in such high regard. I'm fairly certain Ronnie James Dio himself regarded Heaven & Hell as his very finest hour.

Incidentally, if you think you are going to get "into" a band when they are 45 years into the game, that's an unusual approach. Might want to try a few of their most highly regarded works and hear them in their "prime." Then go from there ...

If you love Dio, you really should revisit the Sabbath albums with Dio. There's a reason they are held in such high regard. I'm fairly certain Ronnie James Dio himself regarded Heaven & Hell as his very finest hour.
    The Dio era Rainbow albums are worthy of some lovin' too I think, especially Rising.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    The Dio era Rainbow albums are worthy of some lovin' too I think, especially Rising.
    Agree completely. He didn't mention Rainbow or I would have. I'd add On Stage to the list of essential Dio albums along with Rising.

I realize that "tastes vary" and such, but to me, if you like Dio's solo career but these albums don't appeal, you need to look inward. Something isn't translating and it's up to you to figure it out or lose out.

Dio on Black Sabbath Heaven and Hell is I think the absolute best thing Dio was ever involved in. One hell of a great record. I didn't miss Ozzy at all when they came out.

Heaven And Hell is an outstanding album, I love every track. Wore out that cassette in high school. I never thought Mob Rules quite matched up, but it's good too.

I like all three of the albums Sabbath made the first time Dio was in the band. I even like Live/Evil which a lot of don't seem to dig, but I think it sounds fantastic. I've never heard Dehumanizer or The Devil You Know (apart from the singles), so I don't know how the reunion efforts were.

As for Dio's own albums, again, I really only know the singles, but I just saw the video for Mystery on VH-1 Classic again the other night, and I'm still struck about how much the chorus sounds like a Scandal song. I mean, literally, it sounds like Loves Got A Line On You. More the chord progression than the melody itself, but that's always stuck in my mind for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I've never heard Dehumanizer or The Devil You Know (apart from the singles), so I don't know how the reunion efforts were.
    I personally think that Dehumanizer is better than Mob Rules.

Agree completely. He didn't mention Rainbow or I would have. I'd add On Stage to the list of essential Dio albums along with Rising.

I realize that "tastes vary" and such, but to me, if you like Dio's solo career but these albums don't appeal, you need to look inward. Something isn't translating and it's up to you to figure it out or lose out.

Even over the course of his solo career Dio worked with something like 20 different band members while the role of singer/lyricist that Dio played in terms of creating the music on those albums wasn't all that different from the one he played with Rainbow and Sabbath. Dio just had ultimate veto and hiring/firing authority. It's Dio singing and writing the lyrics with a guitarist, a bassist, a drummer and sometimes a keyboardist whether you are listening to Rising, Heaven and Hell or Holy Diver. So yeah, it seems silly if someone is all ready fan of Dio singing and writing lyrics with a guitarist, bassist and drummer to draw an artificial line of demarcation between his "solo" work and his work with Sabbath and Rainbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I personally think that Dehumanizer is better than Mob Rules.
    I can't remember much about that one except the cover, and the song "I" (or it has "I" in the title anyway). I never really got much of the post-Born Again Sabbath albums on CD, only hearing bits of them through friends' tapes or on mixed tapes. I remember thinking Forbidden was pretty awful but one day I should give some of those another chance - I'm sure there are decent tracks here and there spread across some of those albums. As for solo Dio, some classic stuff there that doesn't quite touch Rainbow or Heaven And Hell, but still excellent. "Shame On The Night" is a killer track!

I've been meeting people randomly who said they went to the Sabbath concert last Wednesday. Everyone says the same thing, the show was fantastic. It means one of 2 things: (a) During a live show like that with a loud rock band the singer's awful vocals just aren't that noticeable. (b) Maybe it's just us nerdy types who post Youtube videos on Prog forums that are obsessed with off-key vocals .