Thread: "Cruise to the Edge? Of what? Hell?"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

"Cruise to the Edge? Of what? Hell?"

Found this on MSC review:

"I just got back from the WORST cruise experience of a lifetime aboard MSC. They booked a half charter to a group called "Cruise To the Edge" that included entertainment by rock groups including heavy metal Zebra.

The ship had over 400 children on board for spring break but they CANCELLED all regular evening theatre entertainment so the charter group could have exclusive use of the theatre. The rock groups took up precious deck space, had private parties in the main lounges... we were forever wandering with nothing to do, only to find signs forbidding us entrance to this and that. 130 decibel music practically making your ears bleed even when they wouldnt let you in! No rest for the weary aboard that ship.

There was major over-crowding in the accessible areas. MSC had one of 2 pools closed off for a time and hundreds of square feet taken up by stages and speakers. In the main lounge, I saw 1/2 the dance floor taken up by rock band equipment storage. The regular library was closed and they offered one bookshelf as an alternative.

Very hairy old rockers gawked at the teenage girls and the pot smoking aboard was very evident. The cruise line allowed these passengers to smoke cigarettes everywhere - there was no escaping it. My 9 year old grand daughter stepped on a hot butt on the pool deck.

For us with 4 children? It was the Cruise to the edge of HELL. What kind of soul-less suit at the corporate offices of MSC would cancel the entertainment and restrict access when the ship had 400 kids on board? Complaints abounded but no word on restitution from MSC, so far. They ruined our vacation.

They owe everyone that was not part of that charter a redo or a refund and I am not kidding - it was that bad.... MSC Cruises demonstrated they would cheat their passengers if an almighty dollar walks up and asks them to do so. Even our children wanted off the ship from the first day . The website claims "Our theater provides a truly magical ambiance for our own unique brand of surreal theatricality and outstanding world-class performances each night", but we received no such promise.

We felt like the steerage passengers locked out of the lifeboats on the Titanic! They never breathed a word about this being a restricted/rock music cruise to us. Unconscionable!"

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=217797
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I guess Cruise To The Edge Part II is definitely out of the question.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Guess I can't blame him. That's how I'd feel if I unexpectedly found myself on this cruise.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

This was posted previously about a year ago. Still an entertaining read.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Guess I'm not entirely surprised by this. This & possibly others we haven't heard about are cautionary tales of these "rock cruises". Now I feel even more justified thinking this was a bad idea for Yes to get mixed up in when I 1st heard of it. Yeah, I know these cruises are lucrative for the bands involved, but what a bad taste this one left with this guy & his family.
    (not surprised at the aging rockers gawking at the teens either)

I'll acknowledge that only basing my opinion on the above post is limited because I clearly don't understand all the issues. However, what was the guy thinking? You can clearly see the purpose of the cruise by the advertisements. Why not ask your travel agent if this is a rock event too? I'm not feeling a lot of sympathy and prog fans are an easy target for derision.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I guess Cruise To The Edge Part II is definitely out of the question.

That review was old but amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    This was posted previously about a year ago. Still an entertaining read.
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...se-to-the-Edge

Banned
    Zebra is "heavy metal"?

I posted the same story about a week ago. Glad to see others think it's a worthy story though.

All I can say is if I accidentally boarded a boat that had tons of drunk horny middle aged women I doubt I would complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I posted the same story about a week ago. Glad to see others think it's a worthy story though.

All I can say is if I accidentally boarded a boat that had tons of drunk horny middle aged women I doubt I would complain.
    but this was a prog cruise...

(yes....i know...)

Very hairy old rockers gawked at the teenage girls
    We also had to gawk at the fat hairy Italian women in thongs. We didn't want to, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    We also had to gawk at the fat hairy Italian women in thongs. We didn't want to, trust me.

I guess not everyone has the same fetish.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I guess not everyone has the same fetish.
    That's right, most hot women have a fetishes for balding, grossly overweight, sweaty prog men in their 50s and 60s.

That's right, most hot women have a fetishes for balding, grossly overweight, sweaty prog men in their 50s and 60s.

They'll never admit to it though.

I'll acknowledge that only basing my opinion on the above post is limited because I clearly don't understand all the issues. However, what was the guy thinking? You can clearly see the purpose of the cruise by the advertisements. Why not ask your travel agent if this is a rock event too? I'm not feeling a lot of sympathy and prog fans are an easy target for derision.
    I think he was't informed about it being a themed cruise which is, at the least, bad form of his travel agent.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    What did this guy do, wake up one day and say to his wife, "Hey, you wanna take in a movie with the kids or take in Disneyland or maybe a sea cruise or something?"

I mean it did say it was Cruise To The Edge - just what kind of themed cruise did they think it was if they didn't know it was a rock music cruise?
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    What did this guy do, wake up one day and say to his wife, "Hey, you wanna take in a movie with the kids or take in Disneyland or maybe a sea cruise or something?"

I mean it did say it was Cruise To The Edge - just what kind of themed cruise did they think it was if they didn't know it was a rock music cruise?

Here ya go:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    I think he was't informed about it being a themed cruise which is, at the least, bad form of his travel agent.

That seems to be quite common- selling trips on theme cruises without telling that they are theme cruises. That's why it's better all the way around of the theme can sell the entire boat. I don't know if CttE is going to try for a full ship sell-out this year...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    > Very hairy old rockers gawked at the teenage girls

When this story was first posted, someone who was on the cruise said this was BS - people on the cruise were NOT "gawking at the teenage girls." I do feel for this guy, but he sounds like an asshole also.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    Guess I can't blame him. That's how I'd feel if I unexpectedly found myself on this cruise.
    Could conceivably be the same cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

When this story was first posted, someone who was on the cruise said this was BS - people on the cruise were NOT "gawking at the teenage girls." I do feel for this guy, but he sounds like an asshole also.
    I actually think it was basically BS. I mean, there were (legal age) girls around and they were hard to miss and I'm sure there was a little staring and leering, but this was overall a really well-behaved cruise, certainly by rock standards. It wasn't like the pool deck resembled a New York construction site. And I never caught wind of any public smoking (pun intended). I can't imagine it was any more rowdy than any other cruise.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I actually think it was basically BS. I mean, there were (legal age) girls around and they were hard to miss and I'm sure there was a little staring and leering, but this was overall a really well-behaved cruise, certainly by rock standards. It wasn't like the pool deck resembled a New York construction site. And I never caught wind of any public smoking (pun intended). I can't imagine it was any more rowdy than any other cruise.
    I don't think so. And there was an article about a heavy metal cruise that took place more recently that sounds like it was more wild (but still sounds like it was about what you'd expect). Yeah, I'd guess the Cruise to the Edge folks were pretty mild really. Like their haven't been Carnival cruises and such that were TOTALLY full of spring break craziness.

On a side note- are there actually other people out there besides me (and apparently Yes) that love that Queensryche and Renaissance are on the same bill. I'm afraid I can't spring for it. Just sayin'.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold