Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: One Shot - Dark Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    They were great at Nearfest. They played the pre show that also included Secret Oyster and Alan Holdsworth(I think in 2007). If that's not right please correct me.
    True, I was there. Sadly, I was super-tired and had trouble staying awake for their set, but I liked what I heard. In particular, I remember this one song with this weird, insistent, two-or-three-note chromatic riff. It was like an avant-rock “Flight of the Bumblebee.” Anyone know what that might have been?

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“Mendigoixalearena”-Itziar

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    True, I was there. Sadly, I was super-tired and had trouble staying awake for their set, but I liked what I heard. In particular, I remember this one song with this weird, insistent, two-or-three-note chromatic riff. It was like an avant-rock “Flight of the Bumblebee.” Anyone know what that might have been?
    "DEF MK1" possibly?

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Sorry Hughes, but I really must disagree. I think James McGaw is one of the most ego-less guitar players in the business. He's almost shy about stepping into the light and soloing. So when he does, it's usually a gem.

I was only answering Udi and Chalkpie's suggestion/opinion, but not making them mine (hence the "maybe" at the start of the sentence)...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I love seeing these guys free from the strict dictates of the composed Magma music. Bubu is one of the best bassists currently working, and is woefully underrated and unknown. James is absolutely ego-less. He can play blues, prog, and even old time R and R- see the band Seven, or his work with the Piezorchestra. In Magma, he usually is doing texture more than harmony. I guess Bruno Ruder has now stepped in for Manu, but I think Manu works better in this context. I hope those guys can heal their rift. Though Manu's new work with Himiko is also pretty good, and his new solo record is quite jazzy.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    "DEF MK1" possibly?
    i don't think so . I think it sounds more like ewaz vader ( aka the zeuhl flight of the bumblebee... ;-) )

Last edited by Gorillclub; 07-31-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: original post included

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Sorry Hughes, but I really must disagree. I think James McGaw is one of the most ego-less guitar players in the business. He's almost shy about stepping into the light and soloing. So when he does, it's usually a gem.

you mean like this solo at around 2:00 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorillclub View Post
    i don't think so . I think it sounds more like ewaz vader ( aka the zeuhl flight of the bumblebee... ;-) )

Thanks, mystery solved! That’s definitely it.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“See the Waters A Glidin’”-Jean Ritchie/Clear Waters Remembered

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Woefully OOP.
    Just found a copy at a local used CD store this afternoon for ten bucks!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Thanks, mystery solved! That’s definitely it.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

With all due respect, no wonder you were having trouble staying awake! Good players with no place to go (IMHO).

My review, from back when it was released. Great set!

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    Just found a copy at a local used CD store this afternoon for ten bucks!
    [Napoleon Dynamite]Lucky![/Napoleon Dynamite]
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Saw them at RIO last year or the year before. Wonderful set, I agree with others than the hypnotic repetitiveness with no clear direction is part of the appeal
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Saw them at RIO last year or the year before. Wonderful set, I agree with others than the hypnotic repetitiveness with no clear direction is part of the appeal
    I think someone is just jealous at seeing a video clip of a band with actual talent.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I think someone is just jealous at seeing a video clip of a band with actual talent.
    Wow. Since I'm the only one who was critical, I guess you're talking about me, and referring to a talentless Flash? Is that really what you think? I'm stunned. Never heard that one before.

I didn't criticize anyone's talent, just don't like what they did with it on that piece of music.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    Queen should sue the hell out of Cardiacs and One Shot...they should have excussive copyright on 4 heads in rhombus configuration...I would say $50 mill.
    One Shot should listen to a Queen or Cardiacs album and actually learn how to write a tune. Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    One Shot should listen to a Queen or Cardiacs album and actually learn how to write a tune. Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............
    Yes, I like a good tune; even one that's unpredictable with lots of changes, twists and turns, or several tunes in one song. Bring it on!