Thread: Portable Recorders & Windows 8 (Zoom H2, et al)

Portable Recorders & Windows 8 (Zoom H2, et al)

I've been (mostly) happy with my Zoom H2 portable recorder for rehearsal room takes & off the cuff demos, but I now need something compatible with Windows 8; any recommendations?

I'm not trying to replace my DAW interface or anything, but the H2 has proven quite handy for recording WAV or MP3 files at a gig or rehearsal & upload or share them through my computer. My Windows Vista computer, that is. The H2 isn't compatible with W8 and I don't think there's a firmware update to make it so.

Thanks
    BD

I was curious enough about your post to read up on Zoom and their apparent tardiness in supporting new OS releases. They'll get there in time, I'm sure.

In the meantime, why not just pop out the SD card and stuff it into the card reader on your computer? Or do you not have one? I have an M-Audio FastTrak and use it for similar things to you. After recording, it's generally quicker for me to pop out the card than it is to go look for the connection cable. The copy process is faster, too.

Good luck. Norman

^ Yeah.

I have a Zoom H2 that I use to record practices, etc.. My PC has Vista not Windows 8, but I transfer files by taking the flash card out of the Zoom and dragging the files onto my PC (actually 2 external drives). I can't imagine that it wouldn't work transfering files that way for you.

Thanks, guys! I'll try it tonight.

I use a Zoom H4n, and copy the files (as people have already mentioned above) by putting the SD card in a card reader, or more often using the usb connection. I don't know if the H2 has a usb connection, but with the H4 that doesn't require any special software, the computer (Windows and Ubuntu) see it as an external drive.

Bob
    www.bdrak.com

Thanks, guys! It worked perfectly to load the card directly into my PC.
    Much obliged!